The ING Georgia Marathon & Half Marathon
50F / 10C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 38m 52s
Overall Rank = 427/10481
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 85/785
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30, goth my stuff together, MARTA down and a long walk with lots of stairs to race start. Ger check, porta potty, then met up with Brent to corrall C
Event warmup:

nothing, just chatted
Run
  • 1h 38m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

No Taper, No long runs since January marathon, all zone 2 training for IM, and I stayed out late at a concert and had a few beers- so I had no delusions about PR'ing. My plan was to go for a run and work hard, but not all out. I met up with Brent and figured I would pace him to a 1:45 or so so I dropped from corral b to c. We ended up going out pretty fast- low 7's for the first few miles, and were feeling pretty good so we held on until we latched on to the 1:40 group for around mile 5. this was a perfect comfortable hard pace. I had a bit of an achilles tweak and my quads were a bit roasted from long hilly ride the day before so around mile 12 I had to back off a bit on the hills, so I let Brent and the pace group fade in front of me and catch them on the downhills. I picked it up tha last mile a bit and finished with a suprisingly good time. I managed to keep most of my run in Z3 with about 25 minutes in zone 4- which tells me the engine is getting stronger. I am looking forward to racing hard and preparing for a half next year. Kudos to Brent who aced his first 13.1 with a very strong 1:38.
What would you do differently?:

Hydrate better and not go out and have tasty beverages. This was a b race so I had low expectations, but am very happpy with the result. I will train more specific for it next time cause I doubt I will be ironman training this time next year!
Post race
Warm down:

grabbed my gear, changed into some dry clothes and went to the NAMC club tent to cheer on some finishers. It was cold and freezing, and I just didnt have enough warm clothes, so we left around the 3 hour mark and missed the marathoners which was a bummer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not training or preparing specifically for this- just pretty much wedged it in to IM training, which is all base z2 stuff.

Event comments:

I love this race. Its expensive, but well run and a great way to tour Atlanta and get great crowd support.

Last updated: 2009-12-14 12:00 AM
Running
01:38:52 | 13.1 miles | 07m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 85/785
Overall: 427/10481
Performance: Good
Course: Great tour through atlanta with lots of hills
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-03-22 9:46 AM

User image

Master
Woodstock
Subject: ING Georgia Half-Marathon

2010-03-24 10:17 PM
in reply to: #2739873

User image

Extreme Veteran
Newnan, Georgia
Subject: RE: ING Georgia Half-Marathon
Now when you state that "Drinking: Not enough", is that referring to the night before

Great run!
2010-03-25 11:27 AM
in reply to: #2739873

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
Subject: RE: ING Georgia Half-Marathon

WOW!  I am so impressed.  Hope the trend continues!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » ING Georgia Half-Marathon Rss Feed