Napa, California
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 54m 58s
Overall Rank = 48/272
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 16/100
Pre-race routine:

Got very little sleep. Woke up at 5:30, picked up Michael, drove to Napa. I stopped for coffee along the way and ate a Lunabar. We got there a little later than I would have liked -- about 7:15? Decided to skip the bus and hike up the hill to the winery. Registration was a snap, we had time to hit the bathrooms, stash our clothes in the bushes, and gather with everyone else at the start. We were both loving the classic rock sound and the too-cool-for-school DJ.
Event warmup:

Nothing. Michael probably should've done a couple of miles, but we were both feeling lazy.
Run
  • 54m 48s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

I've been dealing with some plantar fasciitis so my training is pretty pathetic lately. I thought I might have a chance to do OK at this race, just because I built up a pretty good base last year and I haven't been *totally* slacking this year (about 20-25 mpw). Ha. Not so much.

The race starts on a super fast, long downhill, but as soon as it flattened out I was hurting. The foot felt great because I'd taken some Advil first thing in the morning, but everything else sucked. I eased up to a comfy-hard pace (didn't bother checking the Garmin -- I figured it'd be too depressing) and stuck with that for most of the race. All things considered, I didn't do terribly. Once I warmed up I actually felt pretty good and I'm thinking that without the long uphill to the finish I would've negative split the race.

The run was pretty uneventful until I got to the big hill. It's half a mile and gets steeper toward the top. I tend to pass a lot of people on the hill because I pace myself well (and refuse to walk). I was about halfway up when these two women went *flying* by me. I couldn't believe how fast they were running up! Then we turned a corner and one of them swore and came to a stop and said to her friend, "I thought this was the finsih!" The other girl said she'd thought the same. They both looked very sad. When I ran by them I couldn't resist laughing and saying, "I thought you two were going awfully fast..." They both gave me the evil eye.

Overall, it was a gorgeous day for a run and, as usual, I had a blast at this race. My time sucked, but I'm not complaining.
What would you do differently?:

Not have plantar fasciitis. Train.
Post race
Warm down:

I found Michael right at the finish. He was third overall in the 5K!!! First in his AG (30-39)! And this is with almost no training. What an asshole. :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injury.

Event comments:

I love this race. It has a nice, homey feel. There are about 1,000 runners, but it feels very small -- I've started to recognize people from year to year. This is the first year they used timing chips, which was nice. I didn't get the post-race pancakes this year, but it's fun that they offer a big breakfast and a raffle. And the free wine glass (and wine!) is a great bonus.

Last updated: 2010-03-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:54:48 | 06.21 miles | 08m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/100
Overall: 48/272
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back starting from Artesa winery and running through the vineyards. Gorgeous! As usual.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes