United States
Ironman North America
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 21m 53s
Overall Rank = 2121/2152
Age Group = W 55-60
Age Group Rank = 16/16
Pre-race routine:

Had breakfast of sliced turkey, yam and banana. My hotel was quite close to the race start and so bicycled to the transition area. After setting up my stuff got to see Jezzieswims, AZ Sunshine and LarDog.
Event warmup:

None. Are you supposed to?
Swim
  • 46m 41s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 25s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim was fine. Nothing spectacular. Swam what I usually swim, so that is a good thing. There is a period of time after you round the buoy that the glare interferes with sighting. I had been warned about this and had tinted goggles, but maybe mirrored ones would have been better.

I tend to get some pretty fierce legs cramps when swimming in cold water. My massage guy told me a trick of putting Ben Gay on your legs to help keep them warm. I did this. I still cramped, but I don't think as much and the cramps didn't last as long. Whether this can be attributed to the Ben Gay or not, I don't know, but I do know that I will continue to use it until I determine that it doesn't matter.

There were people to unzip your wetsuit as you are exiting the water. I knew that they did this at IMs, but I wasn't expecting it here so it was a little surprising. I think it is really a form over substance thing because I would have myself unzipped anyway by the time I got to my bike.

My goal was 45 minutes, so I came pretty close.
What would you do differently?:

Get to be a faster swimmer.
Transition 1
  • 09m 52s
Comments:

Even though I always give myself "permission" to catch my breath and all in transitions, when looking at results I am amazed at how long I take. Maybe I ought to save catching my breath for the first couple miles on the bike and start moving faster in transitions.

Move faster.
Bike
  • 4h 07m 39s
  • 56 miles
  • 13.57 mile/hr
Comments:

The first half of the bike course was glorious. It was a beautiful day, I was pedaling along all happy to be alive and out there riding. And then the second half came along. That's where they keep the hills, that's when it got windy and that's where it all fell to pieces. Well, that's an exaggeration, but I am embarrassed to admit that I walked up the steepest hills.

For some reason they don't have my overall rank in biking. It wouldn't be pretty.

My cycling computer didn't feel like working so I never really knew how fast I was going, unless I looked at my Garmin, which isn't really convenient. The cadence sensor worked intermittently, when it felt like it, I guess. I was surprised by how much I missed not knowing my cadence. I don't know if I like the distraction or whether that is actually useful, meaningful information.

My goal was 4 hours, and I am really surprised at how close I came, considering that I walked up the hills.

Work harder at overall biking endurance and work a whole heck of a lot more on steady hill climbing. Illegal performance enhancing drugs might come in handy too. JK.
Transition 2
  • 06m 44s

Move faster.
Run
  • 3h 10m 58s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 14m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Supposedly my overall rank and my run rank are the same - 2121 out of 2152. Seems like a funny coincidence.

I was pretty beat by this time. For the first loop I did a pretty pitiful run/walk and just walked the second loop. I would have been even slower except that I walked with this 61 year old man from Van Nuys who maintained a pretty fast walking pace. I kept up with him until about the last half mile when he jogged it in. I tried, but no go.

My goal was 3 hours and while I was only about 11 minutes over, I really had expected to be under 3 hours and so this was a bigger disappointment than not making the times for the swim and bike.

It all comes down to the base you have for endurance. My endurance base was depleted after the bike. This is primarily what I am going to be working on - finishing the bike with something left for the run.
Post race
Warm down:

I think the second loop of the run was my cool-down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inherent (in)ability and not enough training. Don't get me wrong, I have been training steadily so it isn't for lack of effort. I think I just underestimated how long of steady training this stuff takes.

Event comments:

I think this is a very well-run race. I didn't go to any of the post-race activities so can't comment on that. I thought there were plenty of aid stations and the volunteers were terrific.

Last updated: 2009-09-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:46:41 | 1931 meters | 02m 25s / 100meters
Age Group: 11/16
Overall: 1919/2152
Performance: Average
Suit: QR
Course: Out and back, basically. After hearing so much about how cold the water was, it was a pleasant surprise to find it not as cold as I expected.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 09:52
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
04:07:39 | 56 miles | 13.57 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/16
Overall: 0/2152
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Relatively flat for the first half and quite hilly for the second. Also was windy on the second half and hot.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:44
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
03:10:58 | 13.1 miles | 14m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/16
Overall: 2121/2152
Performance: Below average
Course: Starts out on concrete along the sand with a nice view of the ocean and all the activity going on. You then go up a little hill and then you are in a residential neighborhood. There was lots of locals siting outside and watching the competitors and saying encouraging things. There were two loops.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-03-28 2:56 PM

User image

Expert
San Gabriel Valley, California
Subject: Ford Ironman 70.3 California

2010-03-28 4:01 PM
in reply to: #2753641

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman 70.3 California
I love you comment about the bike 'And then the second half came along. That's where they keep the hills ..." So very true ... the first half of the bike is so nice.

Way to hang in there and finish strong. Finding a friend on the run really helps (especially when they are moving with purpose.)

Congrats on finishing!! It was so great to meet you.
2010-03-28 4:20 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Great job o h=the race!

2010-03-28 7:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Nice job out there.  Those hills are not easy for sure.  And regarding your race position, the Athlete Tracker tells you where you are in AG position after each segment of the race, so the run position will be the same as the finish for everyone.  It should be updated on the official results and you'll get to see your individual split rankings.  And yeah, for some reason, everyone's bike split positions are missing from their individual results page, but they show up on your line if you sort by your AG (someone said this only works if you're in the top-100 of the search).  Again, great job! That course is no joke.
2010-03-28 10:12 PM

User image

Regular
Nice work it was a varsity day on a varsity race.
2010-03-29 6:12 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, Oregon
Congrats on the PR! Tremendous effort in the face of hills and fatigue - kudos for powering through! And there's no shame in walking hills - especially tough ones. You have lots of time and what sounds like some great ideas to get ready for what's sure to be a successful IMAZ!

2010-03-30 1:57 AM

User image

Veteran
SoCal
congrats on a super finish...
2010-03-31 10:45 PM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach

Great job!  I loved reading your race report!  You had me laughing about the smiling in the 1st half of the bike.  Every race I feel like I start off smiling like a goon on the bike and then am shooting daggars out my eyes at everyone when I start running.  haha.  Loved your comment about the drugs too.  haha!

Anyway, I haven't been motivated lately and your report got me fired up again. Thanks!

2010-03-31 11:32 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
If it helps, I walked up those hills as well. You probably passed me along the way.

Congrats on finishing. I can assure you that you will not find any hills like that in AZ.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ford Ironman 70.3 California Rss Feed