Cal Poly Tri Team
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m 50s
Overall Rank = 49/161
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/9
Pre-race routine:

I camped at Lake Lopez, rode the bike course checking for gear selection, and swam the lake the previous day.

That morning, I slept in a little - until 6 am, took a couple of salt pills, a couple of GUs, cookies, mocha and a banana. I was ravenous that morning and the previous evening, and took orders from my stomach.

Transition opened at 5:30, I showed up to rack at about 6:45, and tried to figure out what to do with all the time between close of transition at 7:45 and my wave at 8:40. The air was *frigid*, so I kept my warm clothes on, set up T1 and T2, and invented T0 - staying warm. I got an extra duffel bag from the RV for all my swim stuff, and got to hang out in warm clothes while the rest of my AG was suited for over an hour and groused about it. I'll probably use this trick at most races.

Event warmup:

The bare minimum, although I had been trotting around to get the extra duffel bag. I was suited up a few minutes early, got wet, swam about 50, and was ready for the gun.
Swim
  • 18m 3s
  • 750 yards
  • 02m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

This felt like a good swim, and I had a lot in the tank out of the water. The lake was brrrr-cold, and it was a continuous effort to exhale well. I wore ear plugs and two caps, and was warm enough. Learning from the previous waves, I took an outside line, and had virtually no contact. My pace was quite a bit slower than my previous two tris.
What would you do differently?:

I'd focused on bike miles the previous two weeks, and I was tired in the pool and during the swim leg. Next time, I'll strike a better balance with training the week before.
Transition 1
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

I saw from early collegiates that the swim and stairs were wiping people out, so I hardened up, and was ready to power through the first transition.

I had more left in the tank out of the water than the people in front of me who mostly struggled up the stairs... but focusing on running past people up hill threw me off my normal strategy, and at the rack, I incredulously realized I hadn't peeled down to the waist. Not a disaster, it looks like I had the fastest T1 in my AG.

Pay attention to how many yards I have to get the wetsuit stripped down.
Bike
  • 40m 40s
  • 12.25 miles
  • 18.07 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my focus, and I'm thrilled with the ride. Only one guy older than me was faster. He's a real animal, and I'm not looking forward to aging up into his group.

This was my first tri on the Talon now that I've retired the mtb from competition, and I had been out on club rides and climbs the previous two weeks having the time of my life on my first road bike since college.

I took an easy ride on the course the day before to dial in gear selection and road conditions, so was comfortable with the strategy to put everything into the descent in big gears, and rely on fitness for the climb back. Not counting T2, my time was approximately 38:48 over 12.25 mi, with a peak speed of 45.5 and an average of 18.8. The climbs out of the marina, then back into the park were brutal, and I mostly spun in 39/28.

The strategy worked, since most people had to work their brakes on the way down, and I had the legs to ride away on the hills. I'm pretty sure I only got passed by two people, a really strong strong women in her 20's, who I complemented with, "gooooood job," as she blew by me on a climb, and a collegiate from Poly who I let pass me at the crest before the no passing zone. Kudos to him; we exited transition together, and I thought I had dropped him on the hills, but there he was at the top. On the way out, I played cat and mouse with a 23 yo guy and traded friendly trash talk about how the 49 on my calf was hard on his ego.

To make the climb back worse (and the way out better), when we doubled back, the wind was like a wall. Thank goodness for Shimano and Kestrel.

As a real ego boost, when I came into transition the MC announced that I was from Cal Poly, since I was in a green and gold trisuit, so as I dismounted and ran, I shouted, "Cal Poly alumni!," and the crowd let out a cheer.

If you've read my previous two RRs, you know that my slow mtb times compounded with fast-ish swims really messed with my head, since I always thought of myself as an ex-college cyclist. My identity crisis is over ;)

This was just about right.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 was approximately 1:15. Pretty solid, again - all thanks to what I've learned at BT.
Run
  • 27m 11s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

A fun run, but slow. As usual, the run was last priority in training. My AG winner completely smoked me. We met on the run, and he made the false assumption that I could keep up with him. He later told me he thought I might be on his heels. Boy was he wrong! Kudos to another CP alum and former Wheelman for beating me!

Um, run between triathlons? Help me out here ;)
Post race
Warm down:

To the tables for electrolyte drink, water, pizza(!!! - lots of pizza! I was starving!)

I packed up the bags, and on the slog up to the campsite with my wife, it dawned on me that I might podium. So I showered, went back to see my AG place (2!), chatted with some of the guys from the CP Tri Team, ate pizza, and had a heck of a good time with some of the locals who had also podium'd. Looking around, the new Central Coast Triathlon Club kicked ass.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I had no balance to my training since I was on my first race bike in 25 years. Next time, I'll pick up the swim and run a bit.

Event comments:

Results (pdf):

http://www.sbtiming.com/results/calpoly_sprint_2010.pdf

Loved it! The Cal Poly team that hosted the event did a very solid job with a complex event. They pulled off a 9 wave, sprint/oly race that served as the regional college championship and regional USAT championship.

There was a little room for improvement with traffic management at the marina since cyclists and very confused boaters were sharing the same lanes. Next time, vols need to direct parking lot traffic like they did at the turn around.

Last updated: 2010-02-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:03 | 750 yards | 02m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 84/161
Performance: Average
Includes run up beach and stairs.
Suit: Nineteen Frequency
Course: Triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:37
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:40 | 12.25 miles | 18.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/9
Overall: 23/161
Performance: Good
Distance is approximate, time includes T2.
Wind: Headwind
Course: Out downhill, back uphill.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 100
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:11 | 03.1 miles | 08m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 78/161
Performance: Average
Course: Rolling out and back, with a steep hill to the finish. Pure sadism. But fun. Sort of.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-03-28 5:09 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Subject: March Triathlon Series
Have I mentioned I love my Kestrel?

Edited by Pacific John 2010-03-28 5:17 PM

2010-03-28 5:22 PM
in reply to: #2753838

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Subject: RE: March Triathlon Series
Here's me trying not to be intimidated by all the badass guys in my wave:

Here's me getting ready to turn up the hill from Hell:

...and me celebrating my third straight race without drowning!

2010-03-31 11:32 PM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California

Congrats on your podium finish!  That is awesome.  It was definitely cold out there, you know it's frigid when getting in 50-something degree water is actually a relief.  Those stairs and the steep run up the sand definitely made for a tricky transition, but it looks like you managed very well.  Looking at some of the transition times, I'm not quite sure what some people were doing, having a snack maybe?  I'll take any advantage I can get. 

Great job from one CP alum to another!

2010-04-02 11:35 AM

User image

Santa Rosa CA
Well done!!  Nice bike.   You mentioned you were on a mountain bike previously, I'm wondering if it was difficult to change to aero bars and how much they help.  I may get some clip ons.
2010-04-02 7:21 PM
in reply to: #2765207

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Thanks! It was a little easier for me than for a new cyclist since I rode a road bike when I went to Poly about a million years ago. The Kestrel feels just like my old Masi when it's set up as a roadie, with the stem flipped up, road seat, etc. It did feel a little like I might fall on my face when I first set it up for time trials, but that went away in about a mile.

On my two tris on the mtb, I was as aero as I could be, which is to say, not very, by putting my arms on the bars, and that was a nice intermediate step for a more aggressive setup.

On edit: the clip-ons make a huge difference for me, and it helps that the Kestrel Talon  is designed to be used ways, with a dual position seat post, and a low head tube. It's all about minimizing the size of the billboard you're pushing through the wind.

Edited by Pacific John 2010-04-02 7:26 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » March Triathlon Series Rss Feed