las vegas, nv
76F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 34m 32s
Overall Rank = 47/
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/7
Pre-race routine:

i didn't have much of a routine. i had an english muffin with peanut butter and a banana and was off to the race. i drank a bottle of water on the way there to try to hydrate because i hardly drank anything on friday nite. jammed to a little jimi and tried to get my head in the right place. when i arrived, i ran into some people that i knew from other races and mingled.
Event warmup:

i actually did some stretching before the race for a change.
Swim
  • 13m 27s
  • 800 meters
  • 01m 41s / 100 meters
Comments:

in these races they don't do waves and ALL competitors start at once. i don't like it because i end up getting the crap kicked out of me for the first 200m or so. i had a big navigation problem toward the end of the swim and i ended up going off course into the middle of the 'triangle' because i was pushing so hard and not sighting enough. i also had a problem with people swimming into the side of me, which generally doesn't happen after the start.

overall, i felt stronger (strokewise) than i have on the swim in the past. i have to continue to practice because this was not my strongest leg.
What would you do differently?:

i probably would have worn a wetsuit if i had known it was legal. like an idiot, i left it home. i also would have sighted better.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

the race results didn't include transition times, but i think my transition went pretty quickly. i'm assuming my t1 time is lumped in with the bike.

nothing!
Bike
  • 48m 52s
  • 12 miles
  • 14.73 mile/hr
Comments:

i felt a million times better on the bike this race than i did in the last race. about four miles in i found myself thinking that even if i finished dfl i had a great race. my legs felt good on the bike although the hills were challenging. this was in stark contrast to the last race when i was drinking boiling hot gatorade and feeling like i was going to fall over! my confidence in the first two miles of the bike kept me going for the rest of the race even though that's not reflected in my rankings.

more bike training. i didn't do much to prepare for this race since i was travelling and i think the weight training has been helping.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

again, i don't know the time for t2. i'm hoping my t2 time was included in the run! i forgot to put on my race number.

put my number on and grab a gel.
Run
  • 32m 15s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 10m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

i felt great on the run. i was passing people left and right and i know my pace was good. it's hard to see with the transition times included in my pace, but i ran like a mo' fo'! this course was considerably better than the old course and i felt well hydrated throughout the run.

nothing really. i could have taken a gel, but i think i ate one toward the end of the bike, so i didn't really need it.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around and chatted with some people.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of training.

Event comments:

according to the results at the race, i was third in my AG, so i hung around after the race for the awards. when they came to my AG, though, the gazelle (my nemesis) was third and i didn't get anything. again today when i checked the results online, i was listed in third, so i don't know what the deal is. as i said above, though, if i had finished dfl i would have been more than satisfied with this race, since the last time i raced this course it kicked my ass.

i forgot to mention that i have started to get to know a number of people in the local tri community and it's pretty cool! i ran into some people that i met last season and at my first race this year. it's nice to have some friends and support within the tri community!

Last updated: 2005-06-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:27 | 800 meters | 01m 41s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/7
Overall: 8/
Performance: Average
Suit: no, although i could have.
Course: triangle. out 300m, over 200m and back 300m.
Start type: Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:48:52 | 12 miles | 14.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/7
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: same course as last time. hills, hills and more hills! two six mile loops around the resort. apparently this bike course was written up in triathlete magazine last year as one of the hardest ones out there.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:15 | 03.2 miles | 10m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/7
Performance: Good
Course: they changed the run course! (thank god) it was an uphill run for the first 1.5 miles of the bike course and back down.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-06-23 1:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
las vegas
Subject: sunset triathlon #2

2005-06-23 6:16 AM
in reply to: #181458

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: sunset triathlon #2
Congrats on a good race.
2005-06-23 10:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Awesome race Cristin!

I'm so glad the bike felt strong for you this time.  Your swim & run are awesome!   You will catch the gazelle in no time!  Just make sure you wave when you go past her!
2005-06-23 12:22 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Awesome race, Cristin!  Sorry they didn't give you the hardware you seem to rightfully deserve!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » sunset triathlon #2 Rss Feed