General Discussion Race Reports! » Badgerland Striders South Shore Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Badgerland Striders South Shore Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
United States
Badgerland Strider
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 29m 52s
Overall Rank = 52/832
Age Group = M 20-24
Age Group Rank = 7/33
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6 and had PB and J toast to eat. Just kind of milled around and relaxed till we had to leave for the race. Erica took Lloyd (a friends dog) with as well as Nadie.
Event warmup:

did a light jog on from the start of the course out and back. Bout a mile with Nadie. Waited in line for the john, then jogged around to the start. Found DJDavey in the crowd and introduced myself. It was nice to finally meet some of the donkeys. Erica Made Nadie a shirt that said "Go Daddy GO!" she wore that all morning (and I'm sure she loved it too).
Run
  • 1h 29m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Talking with DJdavey and all the sudden the starter says "go" simple as that. So we were off. Elbows thrown and I jostled into position and a "comfortable" pace. First mile was 6:43, a little fast considering my goal was to hold 6:50 and empty the tank in the last 2(ish) miles. Next mile slowed up a bit (somewhere around 6:55), then I settled in to about a 6:47 min/mile and held that pretty well. Grabbed water at the aid station just after mile 3 (the village people aid station). Grabbed water just after mile 6 and tossed that on my face to get the sweat out of my eyes.

I felt great at the turnaround, I was even ahead of schedule time wise at 44:15... Then it started to go downhill....

Since i felt good I felt like a picked it up a bit (around 6:40, or slightly slower). I held that till mile 8, then I started to suffer and fall apart. I slowed up a bit to try and keep it together. I grabbed water at the aid station just before mile 10 and actually stopped to drink it. Managed to keep with it till mile 10, thats when the wheels really fell off. There is a slight uphill going into the mile 11 marker and I managed to do that ok, but felt TERRIBLE at the top. Downhill, around a slight corner and up another slight hill before a steep downhill to mile marker 11.

Then BIG long uphill, I REALLY suffered up this, got close to puking at the top, and I realized I had pretty much stopped sweating... I really should have taken SOME kind of nutrition, but all my training runs I was fine. I really had to hoof it in the last mile (which was slow, didn't even bother to look at my last mile split). Struggled to hit my 1:30 goal, but I did get it!

All round I was happy with the run, I finished in the top 10% of finishers, hit my goal time, and ran 13.1 miles in the process!
What would you do differently?:

Figure out a nutrition plan. I should have taken water at every aid station, and should find something I can stomach drinking while running (gatorade, heed, something). I prabably could have held my pace and came in around 1:28ish.... I also should do a little more volume. My longest run to date was a 13.1 mile run just to try the distance. I should have been up near 14-15.
Post race
Warm down:

Some stretching, got some cookies, coke, gatorade and shoved anything i could find in my mouth. Stood around and talked with Erica and Robyn.

Event comments:

Definatley a bare bones runners race. Lots of fun, beautiful course. It helped that the weather was FANTASTIC!

Last updated: 2010-04-04 12:00 AM
Running
01:29:52 | 13.1 miles | 06m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/33
Overall: 52/832
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back on Oak Leaf Bike trail.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-04-10 12:31 PM

User image

Expert
Portland
Subject: Badgerland Striders South Shore Half Marathon

2010-04-10 5:09 PM
in reply to: #2782197

User image

Expert
Waukesha, WI
Subject: RE: Badgerland Striders South Shore Half Marathon
Nice job on the race.  Sub 1:30...awesome!  And I too have found that many races put on by BLS start with a simple GO 
2010-04-11 9:41 AM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
Nice race and GREAT time Menglo!
2010-04-14 2:59 PM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

Great meeting you out there!!!!  and one whopper of a first half mary!!!!  wowzers!!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Badgerland Striders South Shore Half Marathon Rss Feed