United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 12s
Overall Rank = 118/1551
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 13/73
Pre-race routine:

Race started at 9am, I woke up and rolled out of bed earlier this time after learning my lesson at the 24 hours of Utah race. This time I got up at 6am! I ate a bowl of Cheerios, grabbed my pile of stuff I had laid out the day before, grabbed my hand-held water bottle out of the fridge, let the dog out, and was out the door at 6:40 to go meet a friend at his house so we could take the light rail down to the start of the race.

I had decided days before the race that I was going to experiment with this race. I had used caffeine before for other races, but decided to push the limits a bit and see how my body would react.

I drank about 8oz of Heed by 7:30am, took an "Extra Strength 5 Hour Energy" around 7:35am (~150mg of Caffeine). Grabbed a cup of coffee (~120mg of caffeine) around 7:45am. Ate 3/4 pack of those caffeinated jelly beans (~35mg of caffeine) between about 8:20 and 8:45. Shoved another full pack in my running shorts back pocket (~50mg of Caffeine) and grabbed my 9oz fuelbelt hand-held bottle that was water with a packet of Strawberry Clifshot dissolved in it (another 25mg of caffeine). Then around 8:50am I took another "Extra Strength 5 Hour Energy" (~150mg of Caffeine). That's about 455mg of caffeine spread out during the hour and a half prior to the race start, then another 75mg for consumption during the race to try to maintain the levels. But there's also all those B vitamins and other stuff in the 5 hour energy.

I'm sure everyone has heard how caffeine can boost your performance in endurance sports, how it's technically banned from professional sports as an 'illegal drug' (it is, with a * next to it, you'd have to consume ~8 cups of coffee to have it even considered close to doping). Anyone who's ever attempted to drink even close to 8 cups of coffee can attest to the caffeine's OTHER effects: involving the digestive system... you may be running or biking faster, but you're finish line would quickly become the port-a-john instead.
Event warmup:

no warm up, just walked around a bit. The weather was already warmer than most of my training days as is, so my muscles were already feeling good just from the additional warmth of the air.
Run
  • 1h 36m 12s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I intentionally didn't look at my heart rate at all during the race and tried to go off what I felt like I could maintain. My goal was a 1:35 (7:15) pace [7:40, 7:30, 7:20, 7:15 x7, 7:00 x2, 6:50 x1.1]. I typically negative split my training runs and my races, so I felt this was doable, so I only glanced at my pace and distance on my garmin during the run. My paces and average HR looked like this:

Mile 1 : 7:30 - 156,
Mile 2 : 7:14 - 171,
Mile 3 : 7:14 - 173,
Mile 4 : 7:03 - 176,
Mile 5 : 7:13 - 177,
Mile 6 : 7:08 - 177,
Mile 7 : 7:04 - 179,
Mile 8 : 7:09 - 179,
Mile 9 : 7:14 - 179,
Mile 10: 7:25 - 177,
Mile 11: 7:17 - 180,
Mile 12: 7:30 - 178,
Mile 13: 7:39 - 180 (the "big uphill"),
Last .1: 6:42 - 184 for the last portion (.22miles on my Garmin)

I never knew I could maintain such a high heart rate for so long. I might have to rethink what my LT might actually be, I was thinking it was around 170, not up closer to 180.

I started out in the area of the 7:40 pace area. The race started and I like being there because everyone always takes off too quickly. Knowing (guessing?) I was capable of maintaining around a 7:15, the "quick" pace most people shot out of there with was actually something I could comfortably hold and ended up not too far off my plan of a 7:40 first mile. With only 1551 racers, it things out fairly quickly (which is why it's 1 mile on the road before getting to the narrow trail. I am feeling GREAT... miles fly past, no problem, I'm taking in about 1oz of my ClifShot mixed drink each mile. I hit the 7:03 pace for the second mile and figure I should back it off a little, but 7:13 for the next mile isn't quite fast enough. But at the same time I'm trying to bank a few extra seconds each mile to prepare for that uphill at the end in case it catches me off-guard more than I expect). Figuring even 2-3 seconds per mile should give me a 24-36 second buffer in case my pace drops to a 7:50 or 8 minute mile for that last mile.

Plus, I had been trash talking my friend Ryan for the past month or two. He's a naturally faster runner than me... 6ft tall, 135lbs and only 25 (4 years younger than me), but he doesn't train much. He's very inconsistent with his training and when he does go out he goes fast and because of that has been fighting nagging injuries... yet, he's still naturally faster than me. It was his idea to do the race and I'm a 'yes' man when it comes to races. I was hoping some trash talking would do one of two things: 1) get him to train for this race more consistently so he wouldn't lose... or 2) get him to start training consistently after the race if he lost.

My half mary PR was 1:43 (7:52/mile pace), set 5 months ago at sea-level. Ryan was planning on going just under 7:30s for a 1:38 time. I set my goal to be 7:15s for 1:35... which meant going 37 seconds faster per mile than my previous PR while at altitude in Denver. I was going to need the best race of my life to pull this off and beat him. Hence the experimentation with all that caffeine.

There were about 8 of us doing the race total, some faster, some slower than us, but we also had our cheering squad of other runner friends not doing the race that day. It's an out and back race, so you really have to be on the run yourself jumping in and out of the car to see people multiple times. We had our spectators at the start, mile 6, mile 10 and the finish! The pictures of me show I'm clearly having a great time at mile 6 and 10. At mile 10 I was pacing a 7:14.1 I had banked 10 seconds so far towards my 7:15 goal, not knowing how far my friend Ryan was behind me. I was confident he'd be able to hit is 7:30 pace and was worried he might start feeling that it's been too slow and start dropping his pace to 7:00s, or even 6:30s or below like I know he's capable of doing in a 5k. My [quick mental calculation during the run] possible 15 second per mile lead over 10 miles = 2 1/2 minute lead could dwindle down pretty fast. But if he had started averaging 7:25s.. that 2 1/2 minutes would only be a 1:40 lead.

Around mile 10 that OTHER effect of caffeine kicked in. Although my legs felt good, my stomach didn't and I started having to focus on... [WARNING: GRAPHIC MENTAL IMAGES YOU PROBABLY DON'T WANT COME NEXT] ... focusing on not letting my @$$ explode all in my pants... [YOU'RE SAFE NOW]... and my pace started to drop a little. Mile 10 hit a 7:25, but I was able to push back to a 7:17 the next mile, but then some uphills mixed with internal caffeine issues still going on I slowed to a 7:39 and a 7:30.

Around mile 11 I heard someone come up behind me and just sit on my heels. I didn't mind, because I had been trading off drafts with other runners the entire time because of the slight headwind. But the thought: "
$!@#, that's probably Ryan sitting there waiting for the hill at mile 12... I can't look back because that just makes you look weak", so I never look back, but the guy never passes me! We get to the uphill and I leave whoever it was that was there... I guess it wasn't Ryan. I still never looked back... not even once during the entire race.

about 400meters from the finish I noticed a woman on the sidelines waiting to cheer someone else on that I recognized from the Moab 100 (a 100 mile Ultra) from 2 weeks ago. We had passed each other in that race so many times it was hard not to recognize her. So, without slowing down, I start to side step to turn and I yell "Great job in Moab!"... I get a semi-startled face turn and look at me and a quick "thank you!". I turn back around, still haven't slowed down and that side step motion I did made me want to cry. The top of my calves instantly cramped up. Every step I took I could feel the muscle fibers in the top of my calf not wanting to move at all. An old high school cross country coach once told me "When you cramp up, it's probably because you slowed down... so run faster!". Back then it was for 5ks, and by the time you cramp up you probably only have a mile or less left to finish... so I doubt he told me that to try to help me get rid of cramps I might have gotten, but instead because he knew if I got closer to the finish I'd push through it no matter how much it hurt. Well, 400m from the finish is not the time to slow down. I've continued to "speed up" when I'd cramp up ever since that coach said that and it's now natural instinct for me to do that. So sharp instant pains in my calves made me run FASTER! The pain was absolutely horrible... and when you see pictures from the beginning of the race compared to pictures in the last 100meters of the race you see that it's not just your normal "push hard and sprint" type pain on my face, but instead true pain which I have made actually get worse over the last 300meters because I keep speeding up!

I crossed the finish line, had the timing chip removed, had who finished a minute before me friend came over and say good job and I looked at him and said: "Hate to be a !@#$, but where's the nearest port-a-john?" and went straight for it. While I'm in there I hear the announcer say: "Here comes Ryan... actually, two Ryan's!" He finished a 1:12 behind me. I get to talk more trash to him now and hope he learns he need to train more so he doesn't get beat by people with less talent than him.

What would you do differently?:

Probably not take quite as much caffeine before the race. Definitely avoid the coffee, the caffeine itself might not be completely bad. Only go for 1 5 hour energy (perhaps I'll try mixing it into my water bottle to dilute it and get a more consistent intake of it instead of all at once.

Also, more hydration, I think it was great until mile 7 when I ran out of my own concoction and had to switch to the courses water, which isn't as frequent enough for me to like... I like small amounts more frequently.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around, went back down to cheer on the rest of my friend finishing up behind me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the "other" effects of caffeine.

Event comments:

Great race, I look forward to doing it next year... hopefully for a pre-Boston warm up?! (that's if I can manage to qualify this summer)

Last updated: 2010-02-26 12:00 AM
Running
01:36:12 | 13.1 miles | 07m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/73
Overall: 118/1551
Performance: Good
Average HR: 176
Course: It starts out doing a quick 1 mile loop around Downtown Littleton, and then you get a really flat course along the Platte River rec trail. A few small little ups and downs as it dipped under streets down closer to the river and then back up to normal elevation. At mile 12 you hit "the big hill", which is a half mile long uphill over a bridge. You get to the top, it flattens out, give a slight downhill for like .1 mile (doesn't go as low as the other side of the bridge), you then turn and have around 400m to go on flat ground.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %1.8
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-04-12 5:29 PM

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
Subject: Platte River Half Marathon

2010-04-12 9:10 PM
in reply to: #2786481

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Platte River Half Marathon
holy crap that is a LOT of caffeine!  Nice race....lucky for you that you weren't in the port-a-johns the whole race!  LOL!  Congrats on a speedy half!
2010-04-12 10:27 PM

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
yeah, definitely overdid the caffeine, next time I'm scaling it back... a lot!  And to make things worse, I actually cut all caffeine out of my diet 5-6 days before any race.
2010-04-13 9:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Parker, CO
Very fast!  Great PR too!
Good luck in IMAZ this year.
2010-04-13 10:16 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Nice race.  Man, cheerios, energy drinks, clif shots, sports beans...that's consumming a lot before a race!  At least it would be for me.  Next time have a bran muffin with the coffee. 

Edited by rayd 2010-04-13 10:17 AM
2010-04-13 11:08 AM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Fantastic effort!  I wonder if the high HR was a direct result of the caffeine?  Regardless, your LT is phenomenal!  Nicely done.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Platte River Half Marathon Rss Feed