General Discussion Race Reports! » Nautica South Beach Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Nautica South Beach Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
South beach, Florida
United States
MESP -Michael Epstein Sports Production, Inc. (www.mesp.com)
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 48m 4s
Overall Rank = 195/444
Age Group = Female 45-49
Age Group Rank = 4/11
Pre-race routine:

2010 Nautica South Beach Triathlon

The Nautica South Beach Triathlon for the third year in a row took place in the world famous South Beach, Florida...to benefit St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

Holding for first time an Olympic Distance (0.9 mile Swim / 24.8 miles Bike / 6.2 miles Run) beside the Classic Distance (0.5 mile Swim / 19 miles Bike / 4 miles Run)...with around 500 participants for the Olympic and around 1500 participants for the Classic Distance...and...a total of 2000 triathletes...

The Classic Distance had the usual Professional participants...like the five-times Ironman champion Chris "MACCA" McCormack and Chris Lieto...and...tons of Celebrities...even...I didn't know any of them...LOL

Friday April 9th:

Washed/waxed/lubed/tuned bike...changed wheels for Race Wheels...collected/prepared all my Race Stuff...

We (Buddy and me) had a full Carbo load dinner: Garlic Seasoned Pasta with Shrimps, Broccoli, Carrots and Corn...very Yummmmmmy...!!!

Saturday April 10th:

Slept till late 8:00 am...Nice...!!!
Had our usual Saturday full breakfast: OJ...eggs, bacon, toasted bagel with cream cheese, slices of turkey, salame and brie on top...and...coffee with milk...Yummmmmmmmmmy...!!!

Packed our swimming stuff and left from home around 11:00 am to South Beach to pick-up our Race Packages, check Expo, for an OWS and lunch...

Got our Race Packages...the yellow wrist bands to use during the Race and to get acces to Transition Area and timming chips...

My Buddy got the Bid# 443 / White Cap and I got the Bid# 590 / White Cap too...

Checked the Finish Line Area and the Award Stand...and...went to check the Expo...but went to check in special the Triathlon Lab Tent...BTW...recommended for a good girlfriend Lisa Buohler...one of the best Duathlete of Florida sponsored for this people...

Here the Traditional Nautica South Beach Sand Castle...the guy was still working on....

And here almost ready...

After that We left our bags with clothes at the Triathlon Lab Tent with some friends and went for an OWS to check the conditions of the water...
It was super-windy...and the ocean was very choppy...strong currents...2 to 4 fts. waves...it was a real washine machine...LOL

It was very difficult to get to the 1st marking white bouy...from there we swam along the beach to north and swimming against a strong current to the 2nd marking white buoy...Uffff...!!!! Finally at the 2nd bouy we decided to do an U-turn and go back...wuaoooo...it was a super fast swimming to the first bouy and from there to shore with the waves pushing us...LOL

Got our bags...took a shower...get dressed...and went to check again the Expo...
Buddy got some stuff that he does need and when we went to check the Sand Castle that was ready...and...I saw my friend Chris Lieto...say Hi to him and had some words...and...Buddy took me this Pic with him...WooooHoooooo...!!!

And here the Sand Castle finished...

Then...We went for lunch...BTW...never again...super-expensive and not really good...for the price we payed...We could eat better in whatever junk food chain...LOL

Walking along the Ocean Dr. Boulevard...looking for a Restaurant...saw this antique car parked with a Mafia personage...LOL

Got back home...and...put our Bid#s in our bikes, helmets and belts...

Here what we got in our Race Packages...beside our the Bid#'s, the white swimming caps, yellow wrist band and timing chips...
We got a nice cotton t-shirt...a nice hat...some magazines...and...only one goodie...LOL

Packed all our Race Stuff...prepared our Race beverages...and...loaded bikes and bags into the car...

Had an early and light dinner: grilled salmon and salad...

Went to bed early...at 8:30 pm...ZZZZzzzz

Sunday April 11th:
Woke-up at 4:00 am...Got dressed...put timming chip in my left ankle...sunscreen over shoulders, neck, and face...and...took out Mariah our dog...

Took our usual Pre-Race breakfast: OJ for both...my usual Soy Protein Shake (chocolate)for me...and a waffle with peanut butter with a cup of coffee for Buddy...and...our usual package of Multi-Vitamins and Minerals, Glucosamine, Amino 1500 and CO-Q-10.

Took the coolers with our beverages and left from home around 4:45 am...
It took us around 45 minutes to get to South Beach...and...parked the car in one of the closest Parking Lot to Transition Area...

In Transition Area... found a perfect spot in my Rack Area...the last one of the rack...and...started to set-up all my Rade Stuff as usual...
Helmet over seat...a green towel in front of my bike...and...over...my biking/running shoes...sunglasses over my biking shoes...and...my hat with my belt with Bid# inside...and...a bottle of cold water next to my running shoes...
Placed my Speedfil Hydration with ice and water in its cage, the cyclocomputer, two GU Roctane Gels (), a package of Clif Shot Blocks and a small package with 4 Endurolytes/ 4 Sportlegs inside the Bento Box and a spare tubular tire in the back bag of my bike...

2010 Nautica South Beach Traithlon

And here a view of Transition from my Rack Area...it was still too dark...

Checked the bike tires and gears...and...went to check the Exits/Entrances of Transition...BTW...My Rack Area was very close to the Swim/Bike Entrances...and...very far from the Bike/Run Exits...Yikes...!!!

Went to the Restrooms for my last dump...LOL

Did sit over my cooler...relaxed a little bit...closed eyes...and...did my usual visualization of the Race...

At that moment my best girlfriend Marylou arrived...she placed her bike next to me...while she was setting-up all her stuff...she told me that her only concern was the Ocean condition...that...she was not sure if she would make it...

Took two Hammer Gels (Expresso/Raspberry), two Endurolytes and 2 Sportlegs with water and a mix of Cytomax/Accelerade (Citrus)...

Put Body-Glyde over my neck, ankles and feet...and...put Profile Design Lubricant over my legs and put Wet-Suit till my hips...

Took my swimming cap, googles and wax ear plugs and headed to the Swim Area with Buddy...

Event warmup:

It was a long walk to the Swim Area...an 1/2 way to there We started to jogging cuz there were a Pre-Race Meeting to give the last instructions...but...when We got there it was too late...they already finished and...they were in the middle of the National Anthem...and...they were ready to start with the first Wave...and...We didn't have the time to warm-up inside the water...they were calling everybody to get out of the water...Yikes...!!!

It was a super-windy morning and the ocean was super-choppy...but...We knew what to expect cuz We did an OWS the day before the Race...

Met with Marylou...and...she was too nervous...and...told me..."I don't know if I can make it"...I told her..."Take it easy...You can do it..."

There were only 3 Waves...and...We were in the last one...
Swim
  • 33m 34s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 14s / 100 meters
Comments:

Here the Swimming Course:

The water temp. was in 74oF...perfect...not too cold...not too warm...and...the swimming ocean was along the beach...but...first we had to swim to deep water till the 1st orange bouy and turn right and swim along the beach...there were in total 6 bouys...and...we had to swim keeping them in our right...and from the 6th orange bouy back towards shore to the Swim Exit...

When the horn went off...we ran to the water...and...jumped into the ocean...there were strong waves and current...

Here a view when our Wave started...

We had to swim against the waves and currents...and....it really was a hard swimming till the 1st bouy...when finally got there...rounded the bouy to the right without problem...and....just when I'm starting again my swimming...I felt somebody smacking my legs...and...suddenly...grabbed and pulled my left ankle....grrrrrrr....I'm sorry....but...I had to kick very hard at that point...and continued with my constante stroke...from here till the last bouy was a real washine mashine...up and down...2 to 4 fts waves...it was hard to keep straigh and too see the bouys...Yikes...!!! But I kept it up....never stopped...I felt very confident and strong....only wishing to get as soon as possible to the last bouy before the Classic Distance starts...
Just in the last bouy was a great relieve...the waves pushing us to the Swim Exit...
When my hands touched sand...got up and ran very fast to the Swim Exit Arch...and...at the same time removing first my wet-suits till my hips...then googles, swimming cap and wax ear-plugs and put them inside the cap...
From the Swim Exit till Transition was a run over soft sand...not easy...BTW...the run from the Swim Exit to Transition was included in the Swimming Time...

Here running from the Swimming Exit to Transition

In my way to Transition...found my Buddy rinsing in the portable showers installed just outside Transitions Area...I didn't stop...and...when my Buddy saw me...he ran behind me and reached me...and...said to me..."I'm going to be faster than you"...and...passed me...LOL
What would you do differently?:

Continue with my trainings...I know that I'm better in long OWS distances than short ones...and...I did it great...!!!
Transition 1
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

A fast transition as usual....the 2nd fastest in my AG...
I don't have the Overall information but It must be in the top 100 cuz the fastest in my AG was the winner Female Overall...Linda Robb...and...the difference with her was only 36 secs...

Just in Transition Area...I ran as fast as possible till my Rack Area...reaching my Buddy...telling him "See ya in the Finish Line"...and....passing him...till I got in my Rack Area...LOL

When I got to my spot...I noticed there were a lot of bikes but not my girlfriend Marylou's Bike...and...I said to me..."Wuaooo Marylou made it"

First put helmet and sunglasses and at the same time pull my wet-suits fast...put biking shoes...took bike and ran fast out of Transition...BTW...a long run till the Bike Exit...and...from there to the mount area...

Practice and practice...
Bike
  • 1h 17m 42s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 19.15 mile/hr
Comments:

Here the Bike Course:

The Bike Course is a relatively flat 24.8 miles course crossing over Miami Beach's famous Causeways...the MacArthur and Julia Tuttle...with 4 bridges to climb...Yikes...but...with beautiful and very scenic views of the Intercostal Waterway, downtown Miami and Miami Beach...

It was a great bike ride even all the circunstances that We had to deal with...
First...Strong winds coming NEE...then 4 bridges to climb twice each one that means 8 climbs in total...2 big bridges and 2 middle size bridges, a lot of bike traffic...and the bad conditions of the roads...dodging bumps and potholes...

Even all the conditions I try to kept a good average and taking advantages when I was going down hill from the bridges...and...off course with the tailwinds in my favor...

Just in the mount area...jumped into my bike as usual...and...started to crank very hard heading to west passing a lot of people...I was smocking...for almost 1/2 mile...till...the ramp to access to the famous MacArthur Causeway...and from there...to start climbing the 1st bridge...the 1st one was not too bad...middle size...got at the top fast passing more people and then going down bridge at more than 35 mph...and...it's here when you start having the scenic view...on your right...the famous Islands..."Star Island"..."Palm Island"..."Hibiscus Island" where the famous and rich live in their mansions...

2009 Nautica South Beach Triathlon 2009 Nautica South Beach Triathlon 2010 Nautica South Beach Triathlon

And on your left the Port of Miami with the view of these beautiful Cruise Line Ships...

2010 Nautica South Beach Triathlon 2010 Nautica South Beach Triathlon

Then a very rough and flat section...passing more people and at the same time dodging bumps and potholes...LOL

From here...we headed to climb the 2nd bridge...a big and long one....just after the famous "Parrot Jungle"...WoooooHooooo...!!!!
At this point I took 1 of my Gels, 2 Endurolytes and 2 Sportlegs with water...

Got at the top fast again passing a lot of people...and...then again down bridge at more than 35 mph....Yahoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....!!!

• ..directly to an exit ramp...turn right...then left and right and straight on the 2nd Avenue for almost 2 or 3 miles till NE 36th St....

• At this point...the leaders of the Classic Distance...Chris Lieto followed for Chris "Macca" passed me...they were smocking fast...but...it was very exciting to see them in action very close...

From here we had to turn right to the ramp to acces the Julian Causeway to go to the 3rd and then 4th bridges to climb...Yikes !!! the 3rd one is other big one...when I got at the top...I said to me..."Enjoy the view...the Intercostal Ocean with spectacualrs boats coming and going..." and then again down bridge...Yahoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....!!!

• ..again other flat section till the 4th bridge....a middle size bridge...not big deal...fast at the top and more fast down bridge...till the exit to a ramp to Alton Rd....heading south...straigh till an U-turn in Michigan Av...then heading to north to Alton Rd. for almost 2.5 miles till other U-turn...and...again south till the ramp to acces again to the Julian Tuttle Causeway...and go back to Transition Area...but...off course again to climb the 4 bridges...Yikes...!!!
  • At this point I took other Gel and 2 Clif Shot Blocks with water

This is the kind of Bike Course that if you are not really very well prepared/trained can kill your legs for your run...but...I always say to me..."I love this kind of challenges" LOL

Going back to Transition was a little tough with headwinds/crosswinds...but...I kept it up...keeping a great average... till the desmount area...doing it like usual...like the Pro/Elites but keeping my shoes on...jumped off my bike and ran to the entrance as fast as possible passing a lot of people that were walking with their bikes...

Continue with my trainings....
    Transition 2
    • 02m 15s
    Comments:

Other fast transition as usual....the 2nd fastest in my AG...
    I don't have the Overall information...but...it must be in the top 100...as I mentioned before...the fastest in my AG was the winner Female Overall...Linda Robb...and...the difference with her was only 8 secs...no bad...!!!

When I got in my rack area...I noticed that my girlfriend Marylou's bike was not in the rack and either her bag...and...I said to me..."Oh No...What happened to her"

Racked bike...changed shoes...removed helmet...took my hat and bottle of water and ran as fast as possible out of Transition...BTW...a long run till the Run Exit...

Practice and practice...
    Run
    • 52m 35s
    • 6.2 miles
    • 08m 29s  min/mile
    Comments:

Here the Run Course:

The Run Course is a very flat out and back 6.2 miles, alongside Miami Beach's Art Deco District...along Ocean Dr. Boulevard and the beach...over a paved trail...some brick sections...and...a long wood deck section...finishing on the white soft sand of South Beach...Yikes...!!!

The only thing that I didn't like of this Run Course is that you have to deal with a lot of people traffic...I mean...tourists...parents with kids and strollers, old couples etc...etc...all walking in the middle of your run...LOL

Just out of Transition Area...running not too fast and not too slow...put Bid# and hat...took 2 Endurolytes and 2 Sportlegs with some water from my bottle...and tossed some over my head and neck...and...start increasing my speed passing a lot of people...

Here is Velo smocking...

We had to run on the left side of the trail...there were cones in the middle of the trail with signs that said "Keep Left"...but...just when I was approching to the wood deck section...I don't know why and how this happened...and...who started this...but...suddenly people coming in our way....WTH...!!!...and...we had to cross and pass to the right side...
    Here the organizers or volunteers screwed up...nobody controlling this sectiona and situation...

On my way to the U-turn...saw one girlfriend of my AG...and...I said to me...Ok it's time to push more harder...got at the U-turn...and...increased more and more my speed...passing tons of people...and...I said to me..."You need to pass that girl...It's your target and goal"

And again just when the wood deck section finished...we had to cross and pass to the left side of the paved trail...WHT...!!!

Continued with my run keeping a good/constante pace...passing a lot of people...and...just aproching to the mile 4 saw from far this girl...and...pushed more and more till I reached her...and...passed her...
    I knew that I was doing great at this point cuz she is faster in the swim and bike...

Then...got at the mile 5...and...started to increase speed...till the mile 6 when I sprinted very hard till the Finish Line...

At one point We had to turn to left to head to the beach...passing over a small hill and straith to the Finish Line...all over the white soft sand...Yikes...perfect after a long run to re-kill your legs...!!! LOL

A good friend... "Kenoman" was there in this turn...and...gave me five...really nice...cuz...it was like He gave me the energy to re-finish...and...I ran so fast..keeping it up...and...feeling strong till the Finish Line...!!! Thanks Kenoman...!!!

Here is Velo is the last sandy section heading to the Finish Line...Yahoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....!!!

Here...Velo approching to the Finish Line at the small hill to the final shot.....

2010 Nautica South BeachTriathlon 2010 Nautica South Beach Triathlon

Getting ready for her usual last move...sneaking other good Final behind this Guy...and...beating him...

Continue with my trainings...
    Post race
    Warm down:

Just at the Finish Line...a volunteer gave to me a Finisher Medal...other gave to me a bottle of water while other removed my timing chip from my left ankle...

Here the pretty Finisher Medal:

Went directly to the Food Tent...and...took a bowl with fruit salad and a bagel...Velo was starving...LOL

Saw some friends in the crowd...talked with them...

Went to Transition Area to collect/pack all my Race Stuff and to see if my Buddy was around...and I couldn't find him...then...went back to the Finish Line Area to check Results...finding that...

I got 4th place in my AG...WoooooooooHoooooooooo...PODIUM...!!!

Age Group Female 45-49: 4th / 11

Female Overall: 40th / 118

Overall: 195th / 444 (Relay Teams NOT included)

Total Time: 2h 48m 04s

The Winner in my AG was "Linda Robb"...also She was 1st Female Overall...beating all the Pro/Elite Females and 21th Overall...
    She is the best Female Triathlete of Florida and #1 in the National USAT Rank in my AG...

After that went to Transition Area to try to find my Buddy...and...found him collecting/packing all his Race Stuff...and...We decided to take all to the car and came back to the Award Ceremony...

Unfortunate...when We went back to the Award Ceremony...my Age Group was already awarded...Oh Noooooo...Awwwwww....I missed it...I was very dissapointed...I didn't have the chance to be in the Podium with one of the best Female Trathlete of Florida...Linda Robb...S#$%*!@#%^&*t

Went to get my Award and at least Buddy took me this Pic with my Award...happy...but...NO SMILE...LOL

And here the pretty neat Award:

And here the 2 Medals...

BTW...I found out that Linda Robb missed the Award Ceremony too...She was checking out of the hotel...LOL

Also...my girlfriend Marylou sent me a text message...finding out that She quited the Race during the Swimming Leg...I felt very bad for her...cuz...she is usually in the Top 5 of our AG...

Before We left..We took a shower and change clothes to go for lunch...and...took some Pics around Trasnsitions Area too...

2010 Nautica South Beach Triathlon 2010 Nautica South Beach Triathlon

Here all proud of me and more happy with my Medals...LOL

Here are the Results:

http://results.active.com/pages/page.jsp?eventID=1845180&pubID=3

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The rough conditions in the OWS...the strong winds in the bike...and...traffic in the Run Course...

Event comments:

Excellent Event...very well organized...a lot of volunteers...plenty of water stations...Great Post-Race Food and Event...

Last updated: 2010-02-22 12:00 AM
    Swimming
    00:33:34 | 1500 meters | 02m 14s / 100meters
    Age Group: 4/11
    Overall: 277/444
    Performance: Good
    Suit: X-TERRA
    Course:
    Start type: Run Plus: Waves
    Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: High
    200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
    Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
    Waves: Good Navigation: Good
    Rounding: Good
    T1
    Time: 01:56
    Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
    Suit off:
    Yes
    Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
    Jump on bike: Yes
    Getting up to speed:
    Biking
    01:17:42 | 24.8 miles | 19.15 mile/hr
    Age Group: 5/11
    Overall: 230/444
    Wind: Strong with gusts
    Course:
    Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
    Turns: Good Cornering: Good
    Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
    Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
    T2
    Time: 02:15
    Overall: Good
    Riding w/ feet on shoes
    Jumping off bike Good
    Running with bike Good
    Racking bike Good
    Shoe and helmet removal Good
    Running
    00:52:35 | 06.2 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
    Age Group: 3/11
    Overall: 190/444
    Course:
    Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
    Post race
    Weight change: %
    Overall: Good
    Mental exertion [1-5] 5
    Physical exertion [1-5] 5
    Good race? Yes
    Evaluation
    Course challenge Just right
    Organized? Yes
    Events on-time? Yes
    Lots of volunteers? Yes
    Plenty of drinks? Yes
    Post race activities: Good
    Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
    2010-04-15 8:37 AM

User image

Master
    The Redlands, FL
    Subject: Nautica South Beach Triathlon

2010-04-15 9:42 AM
    in reply to: #2793433

User image

Veteran
    West Palm Beach
    Subject: RE: Nautica South Beach Triathlon
    Velo,

You definately make the most complete and fun race reports!!! Congratulations on an awesome race, yes it was tough...Hmmm you forgot to mention in your report all the portuguese man of war critters...you must have been swimming so fast that u did not even notice them....

Congrats again, nice to meeting you at the start, I was standing next to Helen.

See u at the races ;-)

Alicia
    2010-04-16 6:18 PM

User image

Master
    The Redlands, FL

Ok Guys...

Finally the  people of Action Sports International posted the  Pics....

I already added my Pics in the Race Report....One in the Swimming Leg...two in the Bike Leg...and....3 at the end of the Run Leg....They are good...!!! 

And here a short Report with tons of Pics of the Winners in the Classic and Olympic Distance....

The Winner in the Classic Distance was my favorite Pro  Chris "MACCA" MacCormick in 1h15m11s  beating Chris Lieto for only 1sec... Wuaoooooooo....!!!

According with some friends...It was a very spectacular Finish....I don't have Pics of that... but...

I have excellent Pics taking for 2 good friends of mine during the Race....Patrik Desfayes...and....Debra Slifkin....the first one a Proffesional Photographer....

Here Chris Lieto setting-up all his Race Stuff in Transition

Here after the Swimming....Chris Macca came first out of the water....followed for Chris Lieto....

Then during the Bike Leg....Chris Lieto was leading...but..."MACCA"...behind him...

Here When they came back to Transition Area....

And the Run...when "MACCA" passed Chris Lieto....WooooooHoooooo....!!!! 

And here in the Award Ceremony:

1st Chris "MACCA" McCormack 1:15:11
    2nd Chris Lieto                               1:15:12
    3rd Guto Antunes  Brazil                1:26:57
    4th Carlos Dolabella  Miami         1:27:43   BTW  Carlos is a Veteran Triathlete... 47 years old....
    5th Higor Lopes  Brazil                 1:28:39        

In the Olympic Distance..... Winners in the Male Pro/Elite were :

1st Jesse Du Bey  NY  2:01:53
    2nd Rick Krupa  NY  2:02:49
    3rd Andrew Kalley  NY  2:03:24
    4th Hugo Ecija  Spain  2:07:47  BTW...the Spanish guy is resident here Key Biscayne, South Florida...
    5th William Kelly NJ  2:09:48

And in the Female Pro/Elite:   But...the winner in my AG Linda Robb was the 1st Female Overall beating all these Pro for only 5 sec...WoooooooHoooooooooo....!!! 

1st Allison Lind  NY  2:16:25
    2nd Molli Serrano  FL  2:18:44
    3rd Marisa Pirih  NC  2:19:27
    4th Erica Urquiola  Miami FL  2:24:16
    5th Sandra Forero  Sunni Island  FL 2:24:35

Here these Pics of the spanish guy...

And here Linda Robb coming to Transition Area:

And Here in the Award Ceremony:

And here....Hector Picata...this Physical Challenge triathlete from Miami....He is a great friend...and...a great inspiration for all of us here in South Florida...He just started to race last year with the Trilogy Series...

BTW...One of the Sponsors...Paul Mitchell gave to him an special Award with a check of $ 1000 to help him.... 

Here...when he was awarded.... Good Job Hector...!!! 

Edited by velorider62 2010-04-16 6:18 PM
    2010-04-17 5:31 PM

User image

Expert
    Near Tampa
    SUPER!!!!  Keep it up velo.  Now I'm certain you are above my level... that finishing time on those conditions.  Uff!
    2010-04-17 5:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Louisville, KY

GREAT Report!!  I was so sad to miss this one this year.  It was my first tri ever last year, but didn't work out with my schedule to be able to come back.  Looks like fun again.  Congrats!!

Michelle

2010-04-20 12:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Denver
    wow, those waves looked killer. must have been a little scary....keep rockin

2010-04-20 6:54 PM

User image

WOW!!  What a Race Report Velo!!! Congrats on the podium!!!  Killer photo's!  You and Chris Lieto - are you kidding me!!! That's awesome. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
    {postbutton}
    General Discussion Race Reports! » Nautica South Beach Triathlon Rss Feed