Set-up, Inc
66F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 45m 57s
Overall Rank = 228/382
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 39/57
Pre-race routine:

Went up to site the day before to pickup race packet and checkout site. I didn't have any time to take a swim, so I just drove the bike and run courses. Race morning: Woke up at 6am, ate a banana, made coffee, ate powerbar, drank coffee. It was sprinkling outside, cool air and overcast. I got my race gear together as I went through checklist and loaded car. Drove 75 minutes to race site. About 60 minutes into drive, I realized I forgot my race #'s, started to worry about that, but figured I'm not the first one to do this, but still didn't need the hassle/stress. Got to site and got in line for race packet, they just gave me a new #. I actually lucked out on losing my race #'s afterall, my new # had my bike as the only one on the rack and it was in the first row by the bike exit, sweet!
Event warmup:

Since I had to wait in pickup line to get my new # and it was long and slow, I didn't have any time to ride the bike so I just did an easy jog for about 10 minutes and some stretching. Then I put on my wetsuit, transition closed, did some stretches, checked out the course and kissed my daughter and wife before heading into the water.
Swim
  • 28m 23s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

Windy conditions caused decent waves, I didn't get a chance to do any OWS since it was so early in season and I don't own a wetsuit. I started in the very front and started with a plan to go hard first 100 yards. The waves took my by surprise and it took a while to get used to the crowd, bumping into swimmers constantly. I also didn't do much sighting practice in the pool and it was a lot harder to see the yellow turn bouys than I expected. I figured out that when I wasn't running into someone, I was off course, would look up and get back into the stream of swimmers. Any time I would get into a rhythem, I would run into somesome in front/side/behind. I just kept going, then going around the last turn, I tried to pick up the pace some, appears everyone else around me did to. I was racing a women in the final leg and when she got out, they said that she was the first, not sure of what group. I used more energy this segment for the time that I put up compared to my TT, but this was my first OWS.
What would you do differently?:

Practice sighting and some OWS practice. Consider no wetsuit or make sure I get a medium size, the tri store had me down for a small medium and it was too small when I went to pick it up. Then they had to fit me into a medium tall, which I guess was probably ok, but a medium would have been perfect I think.
Transition 1
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

I felt like I was smoother this T1 than I was at Smithfield Sprint last month. Pulled down wetsuit and took off cap running to my bike pretty well. Got the wetsuit off ok since it was my first time. I could hardly stand up on one leg to take off wetsuit, about fell over a couple times. I ditched the bike gloves this race, they were just a hassle to put on last race. Sunglasses, put on garmin, helmet, grabbed a gel and put in my side pocket. Put on socks, then cleats, grabbed bike and took off. Had to run bike through grass a little ways to get to the bike start. I jumped on bike ok, then there was an immediate hill that I couldn't get up since I had my bike in a BIG gear...DOPE, so I had to jump off the bike, run the bike up the hill and jump back on. Then I thought I could pedal with both shoes on pedals, not clipped in, but I just kept slipping and then fumbled around clipping them in, lots of newby mistakes on bike start. Terrible form, a newby moment for sure. Definitely need to spend some time on my T1 transition.

Practice my transitions and bike starts. Not have bike in big gear.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 11s
  • 24 miles
  • 18.19 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt pretty wiped out from the swim. Started the bike with a headache I think from the swim. I started with trying to get my breath back, but then just took it easy to moderate on the first lap. I had a small shoulder cramp at the start of the bike, but it eventually went away. I started taking in some endurance gatorade at about 15 minutes per plan, and tried to keep it on a 15-20 drinking, but I felt like I had a salt crust mouth and was really thirsty, so I drank water the rest of the bike, probably should have mixed it up more, but I just wanted water. I took a GU gel about 40 minutes into the bike. I apparently have a knack for going off the road during a race, I went off again on a bad side of the road but recovered. I never do this in practice so I am not sure what my deal is. (Note to self, get a mountain bike so I can get my off road experience.) Second lap I tried to push, but towards the end of the 2 lap I kept running out of steam and slowing down, then speeding up, not very consistent speed. I got passed alot it felt. I was playing cat and mouse with one racer alot of the bike, then she blew by me at the end and I didn't see her last 2-3 miles. She was in a race group, but it pissed me off I got blown off at the end.

Take in more calories earlier, I felt that I ran out of gas late on the bike and into the run. Practice full pedal stroke and more time on the bike. This remains my weakest sport.
Transition 2
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

Just racked bike, slipped on shoes, grabbed race belt and took off.

Practice jumping off bike and riding with feet on top of shoes.
Run
  • 54m 18s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Had cramps the entire run in stomach, some in shoulders. I never could get my heart rate down or my pace to my best pace, although I may have worried about my HR too much. I also was breathing heavy the entire time, not as comfortable as I am used too, but maybe this means I was pushing my limits more and I never had to stop so that was good. It also probably means I didn't get enough calories in on the bike. I was pretty much staying at the very high end of my target pace, except the last mile. I did pass quite a few folks who were walking, including the person on the bike that I was playing cat and mouse chase with, that felt good to pass her in the run while she was walking. I kept looking for my AG and didn't see too many, one or two passed me early and they were running pretty fast out of the gate. I saw ahead me a leg with my AG as I got up to about 10 ft of him he started running again and at a pretty good clip, I thought shoot, he was just getting a second wind, well, he started walking again shortly and I passed him, yes! Then last half mile I saw another in my AG and I just tailed him until about a quarter mile or so left and I just put it down and passed him, I never looked back or knew if he was on his first or second lap, but he gave me the extra boost either way. It was a pain in the butt though becuase the last quarter mile was through a woods that appeared they just cleared a path with a rake and it had roots all over, uneven, glad I didn't sprain anything and it made it that much harder to push that final leg, seemed pretty poor course layout for the end of a run/race. I guess they needed the pavement for the bike route though.

I guess I could always try to push harder, but think if I got my nutrition right on the bike, I would not have had the cramps, would really like to figure this out before my HIM next month in FLA heat/humidity.
Post race
Warm down:

Put my legs in the lake, felt good. My back slowly got some serious pain. I think my twisting in the water to breath, I had to look straight up to catch a breath without getting splashed by waves really through my body position off. Later in the day, my back slowly felt much better which surprised me that it hurt and then went away so quickly. The next day I could feel it in my neck, shoulders and back, but nothing too bad yet.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

OWS and nutrition probably were my biggest limiters overall. Windy day on swim and bike.

Event comments:

Happy with my result overall as I came in better than my goal, which was to be under 3 hours. My race pace predictions were fairly accurate. Great race venue and Setup Events does a good job overall, of course this is just my second race, both were by Setup. Volunteers were great, thanked them when I wasn't gasping for air. Overall, I learned a lot and gave me a much better perspective for my HIM next month.

Overall Men Results:
http://www.setupevents.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=event_results&id=17...

Men AG Results
http://www.setupevents.com/files/RumpusInternational_AGMen_2010.htm...

Last updated: 2010-03-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:23 | 1640 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 21/57
Overall: 117/382
Performance: Average
1 lap
Suit: blueseventy full wetsuit
Course: Lake Anna, quasi triangular course, swim began with an in water start with the course going around the transition area and the finish line.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:34
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:19:11 | 24 miles | 18.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 49/57
Overall: 297/382
Performance: Below average
2 laps Avg HR = 156 Max HR = 167
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Pretty easy other than some wind, rolling hills, but nothing major.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:33
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:54:18 | 06.21 miles | 08m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 40/57
Overall: 226/382
Performance: Average
2 laps Avg HR = 162 Max HR = 181
Course: Rolling hills throughout. Had to start and finish on rough trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-04-19 6:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Subject: Rumpus in Bumpass International

2010-04-19 8:55 AM
in reply to: #2800573

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
Subject: RE: Rumpus in Bumpass International
good job matt!   excellent job.
2010-04-19 9:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Congrats! Great race report!
2010-04-19 9:32 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Nice race! Especially for your second. The one thing I have noticed with OWS is the more you OWS, the easier it becomes...but remember salt water is VERY different than lake water (your HIM is in the ocean, it would be worthwhile to practice in ocean if you can). A very respectable race! You should be proud. Now, let's keep you riding on the pavement.
2010-04-19 11:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
awesome race and a great report. Congrats on your first Olympic.
2010-04-19 4:03 PM

User image

NH
Super race.  Way to blast through and run down all those guys.  Pretty impressive first OLY and first OWS. 

2010-04-19 5:53 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Nice race!  It was rough out there1
2010-04-19 6:07 PM

User image

Expert
Columbus
Great job Matt - especially pushing hard in the run.  You said you may have worried about HR too much.  Once you know your pace - you should be able to do races free of the monitor. 

Hard to believe you are as new at all this as you are.  You are on your way to Iron Man.
2010-04-21 4:27 PM

User image

Expert
WA
Great job Matt! Congrats on your first Olympic!  WahoooOOOO!!  Smile
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rumpus in Bumpass International Rss Feed