General Discussion Race Reports! » Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oxford, Ohio
United States
Miami University Student Foundation
42F / 6C
Total Time = 1h 26m 36s
Overall Rank = 232/543
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 7/36
Pre-race routine:

Got up, took a shower to get the sleep out of my eyes, ate a power bar.
Event warmup:

Warm up? What warm up? Found my transition spot and hung up my bike.
Swim
  • 08m 20s
  • 437 yards
  • 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

It took half the swim to find my rhythm, I swear I think when i jumped in I sank all the way to the bottom, so it took me a couple seconds to get up and get swimming, I felt like the Coyote from the Roadrunner Cartoon, like I was just going no where. Once I got going I was okay, I got passed by one person but passed 4 others so I was happy and I beat the guy who started just ahead of me out of the pool.
What would you do differently?:

I think I need to start adding in some speedwork and threshold work.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Don't know the time because they screwed up the timing, but I think originally when the results were posted this was around 1:40 Not bad, it was way cold coming out of the pool building. Let's just say perma-glass cutters were definitely in place. I didn't have too much trouble getting my socks and shoes on, my jacket took a second because it was hard to get on while I was wet.

Nothing, but if it could be warmer next time so I could avoid the jacket that would be nice.
Bike
  • 53m
  • 12.74 miles
  • 14.42 mile/hr
Comments:

Yeah, so I had a little trouble getting my feet into the cages as I was mounting my bike, I almost fell over, but I didn't and I was finally able to get them in the cages. Holy crap, that first hill was gnarly, I am very proud to say though, I did make it all the way up the hill without having to get off and walk it - nevermind that I was sweating like a whore in church and my breathing was akin to two monkeys mating by the time I got to the top, the point is I made it. The rest of the course was pretty good, I ended up riding with some chick for a good portion of the way and we chatted a bit, she told me all about the Mom and Minivan Crowd that does the Mason Tri and told me I should come to that - ha ha ha, me with the Mom and MiniVan crowd, that's a laugh. She sure did have a nice and fancy Felt bike but I kept up on my nice little roadie and ended up leaving her behind when we were a couple miles out.

I need more time on the bike outside, I was able to shift farily well, my bike hopped gears on me once but overall I was pretty happy. More practice mounting and dismounting would be good and just working on overall endurance and speed.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Ha ha ha, all I did was rack my bike and throw my helment on the ground and I was outta there.
Run
  • 25m 15s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

OMG! This is the fastest time ever, for me, that is. I set a PR on the run, I think my fastest run pace to date prior to this event was 8:38 and I am pretty firmly camped in the 9:00-9:30 per mile pace so I'm extremely pleased with this time. To be honest, I had no idea I was even moving at this pace, I felt like I was going a lot slower, although, I couldn't really feel my feet either so maybe that had something to do with it. Overall though, just really excited about this time, makes me think that I will be able to actually beat a 24:00 time for a stand-alone 5K which I never thought was possible.

Nada enchilada
Post race
Warm down:

Hmmm, standing bent over trying to realize that I actually finished this thing. Sucked down some water, there was no food to be found, so chatted with some friends and then realized that I was cold after cooling down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall, I was prettly pleased, my original goal was to do it in an 1:40:00 or less and to come in at 1:26:36 was awesomme.

Event comments:

Seriously, after race activities need to be better...where was the beer? Or if not beer at the race, at least a place close by to get a beer..

Last updated: 2010-01-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:20 | 437 yards | 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/36
Overall: 171/543
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:53:00 | 12.74 miles | 14.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/36
Overall: 267/543
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:15 | 03.11 miles | 08m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/36
Overall: 251/543
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-04-21 8:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Subject: Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon

2010-04-21 10:08 AM
in reply to: #2806478

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: RE: Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon
Awesome job!!!! Congrats on the run PR. Very entertaining RR

Dan

Edited by DLaw 2010-04-21 10:09 AM
2010-04-21 2:45 PM
in reply to: #2806889

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
DLaw - 2010-04-21 11:08 AM Awesome job!!!! Congrats on the run PR. Very entertaining RR

Dan

Thanks Dan. I am very happy to no longer be a Tri Virgin - I'm looking forward to the next race.
2010-04-21 3:16 PM
in reply to: #2807961

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)

If you try hard enough you can be a triathlon skank like me and just do any race, even if you dont know it very well

2010-04-22 9:22 AM
in reply to: #2808100

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Wow, Terrific job! Awesome race report, and what a smokin' run time! Holy Toledo! Are you sure this was your first triathlon?
My first one was 1:45 or something.
Look at you!
8th in your age group, too!
2010-04-22 2:50 PM
in reply to: #2806478

User image

Master
Ohio
Nice job DJ! It's comon to run very fast right off the bike, just like you did. Your legs are used to turning at at 80+ RPM so it really kicks the run cadence into high gear.

Sounds like you really enjoyed yourself, great job again!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon Rss Feed