General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 48m 46s
Overall Rank = 1259/1586
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 74/89
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:30, dressed and packed. Had a banana and some water. Had some extra time, so relaxed a bit more before heading to the race.

Arrived at transition as it opened...were greeted by Ken & Keri and got marked by the wonderful Ken!

Took my time getting set up and going through a mental check list. Headed to the swim start and ate a PB&B sandwich, some water and 1/2 gatorade about 90 minutes prior to race start.
Event warmup:

Stretching and stressing out. Was really concerned about dealing with the heat later in the day.
Swim
  • 43m 34s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not sure what to think about my swim performace. Obviously not a pace that would normally be acceptable to me, but it's also the first time to swim in relatively choppy water. I probably could have pushed a bit more, but I definitely felt this swim by the end. Sighting was perfect. Once I got out of the crowd and got away from being constantly dunked and boxed in, I found some open water, hugged the buoys, and had an excellent rhythm going. Started to push before making the last turn and tried to pick off a couple more blue caps on my way into shore.

Probably ate too close to the start as I felt a little nauseated during parts of the swim. The chop of the water probably played a role in that, too.
What would you do differently?:

Push more. Don't eat that close to the start.
Transition 1
  • 05m 44s
Comments:

Wetsuit strippers were awesome. Otherwise, I wasn't really worried about by T1 time. I wanted to make sure I had everything before heading out on the course. I also made very sure my feet were wiped off and applied body glide so I wouldn't have any blistering on the run. Also wanted to make sure I had my nutrition.

Since this was the first 70.3, I wouldn't do anything different. But now with one under my belt, I have a better idea of what I need and want, so this should improve in any future races.
Bike
  • 3h 48m 19s
  • 56 miles
  • 14.72 mile/hr
Comments:

Going into this race I was very concerned about my bike prep. Didn't have a lot of long rides in training and it definitely played a role in my performance today. Although the wind was the biggest factor. Fortunately it wasn't ever a true headwind, but it was pretty tough during the entire course. Was hoping for more of a west wind coming back but never got that, so my legs were damn near dead by the time I got off the bike.

Turning back toward the north and heading to transition I felt my back tire going low. The road was rough and every bup I hit I could feel the rim on the ground. I debated riding it out for the last mile, but my speed was drastically reduced. Thought I could just put some CO2 in the tire and have enough to make it home, but the valve stem broke off and I was going to have to make a complete tube change. Luckily a Bike Barn SAG truck pulled in behind me and Jim was amazing. He helped change it and probably saved me 5 minutes. I used that time to stretch a little.

I dealt with some tightness in the legs and lower back for much of the ride so I would try to stand up and stretch from time to time. Although I was very comfortable in aero for the majority of the ride. Did well going through the aid stations. Did have to make one rest stop on the way back in. Hydration and nutrition were perfect. Had about 1 1/2 bottles of gatorade on the course and a little over 2 bottles of water. Also ate 3/4 of a Powerbar after the 90' mark on the bike and had another 3/4 of a bar at the 150' mark. For not really having a long ride to practice nutrition and hydration, I will have to say this plan was spot-on for this race.

I am going to make bike training and longer rides a point of emphasis in my training. Time to get over this mental block with the bike unless I want to pay for it in future races.
Transition 2
  • 03m
Comments:

Again, no major rush here. Needed to reapply sunscreen - although it was sponged off early in the run resulting in major sunburn. I did forget my Shot Bloks, although it probably was a good thing since they gave me some stomach issues in training. I was foced to live off the course, which actually worked well.

Screw the sunscreen since I ended up roasted like a lobster anyway.
Run
  • 3h 08m 9s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 14m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Hydration, nutrition, staying cool were as perfect as they could have been. Took in some form of hydration at every stop as well as the ice cold sponges. Heaven! I also took 1 or maybe 2 (can't remember) bananas while out on the course.

After getting off the bike my legs were gone. I knew I was in for a long afternoon right off the bat. My goal was sub 2:30 on the run, but I also had the harsh realization that I wasn't going to accomplish that. I had to settle in and find a comfortable pace that would allow me to finish. The worst thing was that my HR had so much more to give but my legs just couldn't do it...normally it's the complete opposite of that.

I experienced some tightness in the lower back during the run so I massaged it out as best I could while still running. Toward the end of the third lap and most of the fourth lap my quads and knees were throbbing. I gutted it out and never stopped running, albeit insanely slow. I was not going to allow myself to walk. But there is something to be said about seeing the sight of the finish line. I had a nice kick and push to the end and really enjoyed the moment...and not having to run anymore!

Better bike fitness and get back into a routine of doing core exercises and yoga.
Post race
Warm down:

Tried to stretch a little, but all I wanted to so was sit down and eat. Had 3 slices of pizza and 2 bottles of water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wind, lack of proper bike fitness and training for this distance.

Event comments:

Pleased with the actual race. Volunteers and spectators were amazing.

The one COMPLAINT I have is regarding the race shirt...there was no indication on the registration page regarding shirt sizes. So when I received my packet I got a women's small (which looked more like a child's small) instead of a men's small. So now I don't have a race shirt for my first 70.3. VERY, VERY DISAPPOINTED that this is the case and nobody offered to make it right. It should have been indicated on the race registration page and someone should have offered to make it right or send a new, properly sized shirt.

Last updated: 2010-01-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:34 | 2112 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 27/89
Overall: 544/1586
Performance: Below average
Suit: 2XU SC1
Course: Trapezoidal point-to-point swim in Offat's Bayou. Incredibly clear water for what I am used to in OWS. Had about an arm length and a half of visibility. Amazing!
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:44
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:48:19 | 56 miles | 14.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 76/89
Overall: 1222/1586
actual bike time without flat and rest stop: 3:40:41
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Out-and-back along the Seawall, San Luis Pass and into Brazoria County along Bluewater Highway. Wind: NW 15 gusts to 30
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
03:08:09 | 13.1 miles | 14m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 75/89
Overall: 1259/1586
overall HR average for the duration was 144 and was likely at its highest in the swim (upwards of 170 when I looked as I got out of the water)
Course: 4 loops of unshaded bliss. Nice course except for the southeast corner that wend past a water treatment facility and was a rough road.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-04-26 11:33 AM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas

2010-04-26 11:49 AM
in reply to: #2817011

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas
I giggled at this "But now with one under my belt, I have a better idea of what I need and want, so this should improve in any future races."  One day out and planning for the next race.  Oh yeah, your hooked.  Looks like you had the mental aspect down pat and toughed it out well.  good job.
2010-04-26 12:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston
Awesome job - Short the flat tire it sounds like you had a great race to me.  So glad they helped get you going quickly.  Thanks for the kuddos on the marking.  We had fun in marking and transition.  See you at the next one!
2010-04-26 12:26 PM

User image

Master
Awesome job on your first HIM!!!  
2010-04-26 12:35 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
Awesome job out there girl!  Ken and I were looking for you ALL day and never saw you, did you see us after body marking?  I wish I would have paid more attention to what you were wearing so I could keep a better eye on you!  Congratulations!!!
2010-04-27 12:32 AM

User image

Expert
Great job and good job not letting the flat tire get you down. You finished your first HIM. You should be very proud.

2010-04-27 8:22 AM

User image

Master
New York, NY
Congrats on your first HIM!!! 
2010-04-27 9:45 AM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Hells Yeah you got it under your belt. Way to go!! You survived and concured. Nice job!!!!
2010-04-28 4:23 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
AWESOME!!  I didn't know you had a flat.  Congrats on your first!!!!!
2010-04-28 5:06 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Way to go - you toughed it out!  Next one will be better!

2010-04-28 5:22 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Congrats on your first 70.3!

Sounds like you learned a lot! Pushed through difficulties and finished strong...all great!

Not getting in the long rides hurts both bike and run.

I agree about the t-shirts. I emailed them to explain my issue. They shared that was the number one complaint they heard from the race.

2010-05-02 6:43 PM

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA
Congratulations of your first 70.3.. I hope your heel starts feeling better... way to hang in there...
and push through the finish.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas Rss Feed