Custom Competitions
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 54m 20s
Overall Rank = 98/162
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 8/12
Pre-race routine:

Arrived a bit late. Set up my transition area, glanced around, trying to find Brenda (I knew what she looked like from her Avatar..) and Cindy and Ty... had to get my chip, etc etc... General nerves. I don't know why I'm so nervous before races this year!??!
Event warmup:

Walking around.
Swim
  • 19m 43s
  • 1000 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

I'm not sure how I feel about this swim... I thought I was swimming well, but the times tell me otherwise. I'm OK with my choice of not wearing a wetsuit... although I think I could have picked up at least a minute or two with one... Maybe? I don't know.
What would you do differently?:

I'm not convinced I would have made up enough time in the swim with the wetsuit to warrant the struggling that ensues with it in T1. I don't know. I think I should have started out faster, and a should have been a bit more aggressive in the beginning. I sort of hung back and let the pack take off. Not my best swimming performance.
Transition 1
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

A blistering T1. I'm quite proud of my T1 time. This is largely because I didn't wear a wesuit.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 54m 20s
  • 17.1 miles
  • 18.88 mile/hr
Comments:

I don't know for sure how long this race course was. I see Rowdy's race report says 17.1. That's what I thought. I've changed my entry here. Stayed in my big chain ring for the entire ride. Decided I didn't care about trashing my legs. Engaged in blatant mashing up rolling hills, and speeding down the fun sides. My speedometer said my max speed was 29.5 mph. That must have been on a down hill!

Not much... except prepare more for my bike mounting by putting the bike in a more friendly gear for when I get on. I jumped on my bike and the mash fest began. Should have spun a bit first... especially since there were a couple of small hills right in the beginning of the bike course.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Another quick transition... What you all need to know is that this was a very small transition area. Easy to get to... not alot of other people around, and my bike was in a good spot.

Not much.
Run
  • 38m 3s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Miserable. 38 minutes of sheer misery. I actually thought I was going faster than 12 + minute miles. I was hot and it was humid outside...

I didn't think I did that poorly, but apparently I did. Chips don't lie, and my average speed was OVER 12 minute miles. Maybe all that mashing DID finally do me in! July is going to be a run focused month for me... I need to do something about my running... and neglecting it, hoping it will get better on it's own doesn't seem to be working. ;)
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a RED BULL because it was the first liquid I saw at the finish line. Ugh. Not a good hydration strategy.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm not sure... I didn't really taper at all for this race... I did a mile long OW swim the day before, and just thought I'd take it easy on this race, and do it for fun. That's why I mash, mash, mashed up those hills and kept it in the big chain ring... wanted to see how I'd run afterwards. It wasn't pretty... Not good. But while the run is never good for me... this was uglier than usual. (note: it didn't FEEL as bad as the numbers say it was...) I guess I'm trying to figure out my bike to run "ratio". How HARD can I go out on the bike without losing too much time on the run... While this is fun for bicycle enthusiasts (like myself) in sprint races, I don't think this will be an effective strategy for my longer endeavors. I'm going to have to figure something else out. (!!!)

Event comments:

I like this race... it's small, but I know the guys that put it on, and I know they worked hard to make sure there were enough volunteers all around. I just wish there were more drink stations on the run. I was sweltering around mile 1 and asked a girl on the course... "Is there water ahead?" and she said "I didn't see any..." This REALLY bummed me out. (there actually WAS water ahead...but I'd convinced myself I'd have to muscle through without a waterstop!) Otherwise, it was a great way to spend a Sunday morning... the weather was warm, the sun was out, and I got to meet some BT'ers! :)

Last updated: 2005-05-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:43 | 1000 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/162
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot tri top and shorts
Course: Out and back around a bouy. Water was crisp and clear! Glad I didn't wear a wetsuit, although I'm seeing my time did suffer from last year, when I did wear a wetsuit. I lost about 2 minutes in the swim, but I gained a minute in transition.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:18
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:54:20 | 17.1 miles | 18.88 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Up out and around the Wisconsin/Lake Geneva countryside. Much of the scenery looked familiar, as this is the route we sometimes ride on Saturday AM's.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:38:03 | 03.1 miles | 12m 16s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: "Off road" Through the Big Foot state park.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-27 10:15 AM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Subject: Big Foot Triathlon

2005-06-27 10:27 AM
in reply to: #184369

User image

Buttercup
Subject: RE: Big Foot Triathlon

Great point - what a great way to spend your Sunday morning! I'd kill for your bike time! Don't know what I'd kill since I won't even kill the red ants in my yard... Need to think of new, zingy exclamation to say "I am altogether impressed with your bike speed!"

Great tri! Way to go, Whizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

2005-06-27 11:09 AM

User image

Master
Good race - great bike. Don't worry about the run, that course was not easy, and the heat was killer.
2005-06-27 11:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, Il
You certainly are one gear goddess. Way to mash!
2005-06-27 11:39 AM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
Whiz!

Great race for sure.  Yeah, it was a little disorganized, but nothing that killed it for me.  I definitely plan on doing this race again next year. 

Sorry I didn't get to meet up with you.  Thought I saw you a couple times, but on the other side of a big crowd.  Oh well, both had great races and that's what matters.

And yeah, that run was definitely toasty and a bit deceiving.  I was roasting by the end of it.

-C
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Foot Triathlon Rss Feed