United States
92F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 33m 19s
Overall Rank = 420/690
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 65/105
Pre-race routine:

Got to the site around noon on Friday, picked up packet, checked in, and hung out, waiting for the rest of the drew to get into town. met up with a few friends back down at the expo. Went out to dinner with my wife an parents.

Woke up at 5:00AM, slept pretty good. Had 2 bottles of Ensure and a banana, then drove to Dunkin Donuts for a large coffee. Sipped on a bottle of gatorade while waiting to leave to set up. Got to the race site around 6:15, set up transition, got body marked and just hung out listening to some music and trying to relax.
Event warmup:

about 30 min. before the swim start, the four of us (Dave (Hudnick), Dave (Daveskar), and Stacey (trigirl069)) went for a quick swim to loosen up. Took a couple of endurolytes right after the warm up
Swim
  • 37m 47s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Going in, the swim was what concerned me the most. Looking at the course the day before, it looked like a long way to the turn around. Then I just said to myself, just swim buoy to buoy. So that's what I did, 8 buoys out, 7 on the way back.

Was kind of rough at the start, but things spread out pretty quick. My navigation was very good, which is surprising, since I'm pretty much known for swimming way off course. Sighted every 5-8 strokes. The way back to the shore was tough, it was straight into the sun, and it was very hard to pick out the buoys. It would have been nice to have different color buoys on the way in, so you wouldn't get confused. More or less just tried to sight using the crowd in front of me. Concentrated on using long, even strokes, finishing the pull, and keeping my head buried. After I past the last buoy, started thinking about transition, what I needed to do, etc.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. Was shooting for a 40 min. swim, so I was pretty happy coming out of the water
Transition 1
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

T1 went great. I brought a 5 gallon pail to use as a seat, and it worked awesome. Got to the rack, the suit was off my arms, sat down on the pail, and pealed it right off. Rinsed my feet, loading up my endurolytes (after takign 2 more) in the back of my jersey, slipped shoes on, and was off

Nothing, T1 went just as I wanted. Had no trouble with anything. Left everything I wanted to bring on teh bike in my shoes, so I would forget. It was fast, as I wanted, but controlled
Bike
  • 3h 05m 40s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.10 mile/hr
Comments:

Jumped on the bike, and saw a poor guy, just out of T1 with a flat. Got up to speed pretty quickly. Wanted to concentrate on spinning easily out the first 4 miles or so, because there was a big hill at mile 4. The only thing that was bothering me in teh first few miles, was the damn bike number. It was flapping in the wind, and scraping against my leg, finally I just pulled over and reattached it, and it was fine after that.

The way out was into a pretty stiff headwind the whole way. Had trouble carrying speed on the downhills to pull through the next uphill. Hit the turnaround in 1:36, and was thankful to Have the wind at my back on the way in. Figured I could pull a 1:30 on the way back with not much effort, and still leave me plenty of time on the run to get to 6:00. The last few hills of the return trip, I started getting soemw cramping in the lower parts of my quads, just above the knee. Tried to stretch them out the last few miles as best I could. In hindsight, this was probably an indication that I was getting dehydrated, and not just cramping from pedaling for 3 hours. Hit the last screaming downhill at 41 mph, and spun the last mile or so back to T2

Not really sure what I would do. I don't think I could have taken in much more fluid. Ended up taking 6 bottles on the bike (120 oz), plus 4 endrolytes. Probably should have taken more endurolytes
Transition 2
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

T2 was good as well, fast, but organized. Had everything in my running shoes that I wanted to bring. Took 3 more endrolytes on teh way out

Nothing
Run
  • 2h 45m 7s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

I was surprised to see that I did just as well on the bike as the run, when comparing my age group and overall rankings, since I thought I did so well on the bike, and so porrly on the run

The run was miserable, no other word for it. MY PR for a 1/2 mary, is almost 1 full hour faster. I had nothing left on the run. My legs started cramping from the first half mile on. I would run as much as I could, until the cramping got to bad, then walk the cramps out, then starting running again. And repeat for 13.1 miles. I walked through all the aid stations (DUH), took a cup of water, and a cup of powerade. Tried to get rid of the cramping by taking one endurolyte every aid station (about every 11-2 min). But it didn't work, my body had pretty much had enough. Not much to say about the run, except I met a lot of nice people, and everyone was very encouraging. And the people at the aid staions were god sends. I did make sure I ran in the last 1/4 mile or so, as bad as my legs were cramping.

Really don't think I could have done any better. I took in approxiamtely 16-20 ox of fluid every aid station, but couldn't process it fast enough. Even with all the endurolytes, the cramping wouldn't stop. The thing I was most proud of, was never once did I consider calling it a day. As bad as it was, and as bad as I felt, I was going to finish (but not ala Chris Leigh.). I discovered a new inner source of energy, and learn what it really means to dig deep and perservere, and that's what I'll take out of this race.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat under a tree for about 30 min, then went and stood in the lake for abotu 15 min. trying to cool off. Drank a bottle of Endurox.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mainly the weather and my dehydration. From weighing myself after I returned home, I lost in the neighborhood of 8-10 lbs.

Event comments:

The only thing i'm really disappointed in, is not really knowing how well I was trained. Being an engineer, I liek to try things out and see how they work, then make adjustments based on the results. I really can't do this, with this race because of the weather condtions. If the condtions had been perfect, and I raced badly, I could make adjustments in my training. But with this race I'm not really sure where to turn. Other than, I'LL BE BACK NEXT YEAR. This race owes me one.

Last updated: 2005-06-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:47 | 2112 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 46/105
Overall: 297/690
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Xterra Vortex
Course: Inverse "V-Shape" out and back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:35
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:05:40 | 56 miles | 18.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 69/105
Overall: 408/690
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Out and back, rolling hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90+
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:13
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:45:07 | 13.1 miles | 12m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 72/105
Overall: 481/690
Performance: Bad
Course: Rolling, some shade, some trail running, lots of the course in full sun
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %7%
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-27 12:03 PM

User image

Expert
Colchester, CT
Subject: Tupper Lake Tinman Half

2005-06-27 1:18 PM
in reply to: #184540

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Tupper Lake Tinman Half
As I read people's 1/2 IM reports, it seems like cramping is a major issue (good to know if I ever decide to go that route). Congratulations on gutting it out to the finish. Great race report!
2005-06-27 1:41 PM
in reply to: #184619

Pro
Andover
No doubt, Chris, great report. Congratulations on your 1st 1/2! Terramungus is going to be a walk in the park for you now, huh?

Congrats again and see you Thurs.

Rob

BTW:
What are these "endurolytes" you speak of?
2005-06-27 3:20 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Great Job!! The weather was so hot which makes racing so much harder. Glad you did your first 1/2 Iron and finished even through difficulties. . I'm impressed...on overcoming. It sounds like the run was hard for everyone.

Hope to see you Thursday...I'm planning on coming up to Lake T.

2005-06-28 7:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
Great race!

I think for us New Englanders it is tough to find a race early in the season where we are going to be acclimated to training/racing at high temps. enjoy your recovery and relaxation.

Congrats!
Heidi
2005-06-28 8:34 AM

Champion
Good race Chris. I have to tell you, it sounds EXACTLY like my recent Mooseman 1/2 IM. Our times for all three legs are eerily similar. Swim and bike times are with a couple minutes of each other! I cramped a bit less on the run, but still we're in the same ballgame! I chalked it up to racing on a hot day (the temp was 88 degrees) and I had only been training in temps in the 50's and 60's to that point. I think once you are more heat acclimated, you may see a difference. It was a rough Spring for us in the northeast. I've learned a lot in my recent training. Try taking the endurolytes more frequently. Hot weather, you may need to take 2 every 1/2 hour. Alternate between Gatorade and water too, you don't bloat your stomach, and it may be easier to drink more that way. Not sure what you were using for energy gel...but I found that Hammer Gel suits me better in longer races and higher temperatures. It doesn't give you that "sugar spike and crash" cycle.

Congrats on hanging in there in tough conditions, it says a lot about your mental perserverance too!

Edited by max 2005-06-28 8:35 AM

2005-06-28 9:12 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Good job on finishing it out, and doing the best you could.

I second the heat as being the issue.  If you haven't been able to train in heat, and then your race is hot, it will really affect your performance.

2005-06-28 9:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sherman Oaks, CA
Hey Chris -

Congrats on the finish. I was there too, for my first 1/2 IM and finished - much much slower than I anticipated but I finished nonetheless and so many people did not.

The heat was pretty brutal but I found carrying a bottle of water with me during the run made an enormous difference. I would pour it on my head, arms, legs, in my shirt and it kept me cool to the next aid station where I'd refill it and drink some powerade. I would have liked to have run more than I did but my stomach was giving me problems (something a friend of mine called "gu gut").

The conditions were certainly less than ideal, also considering the fact that there was no shade anywhere - I thought there would have been some. Oh well.

Congrats to you again.

-sharon
2005-06-28 9:52 AM

This years Tinman was my first HIM as well. The heat really took a toll on everyone. Looking at you times I'm sure I was in the group you would run past and then as you would walk I might have ran past you. I met a lot of nice people and intend on making the Tinman an annual event. I'm looking forward to my next HIM ( the Vermont Journey) in August. I'm sure I'll do much better as I learned a lot from this experience.

Congratulations to all who participated.
BTW: Saturday was a record high temp for Tupper Lack for that date.
2005-06-28 10:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Albert
Great job on the swim and bike. Sorry to hear about the cramping on the run Overall you did awesome!!!
2005-06-29 7:39 AM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga

Chris, awesome job on the race.  I can only add to what Max said.  Your race report reads just like mine from the Macon Half IM a few weeks ago.  We both had a great swim.  We both did right around 3 hours on the bike.  We both started getting cramps at the end of the bike, in the quads, right above the knees.  We both really cramped up half a mile into the run.  We both suffered through the rest of the 13.1 miles.

While those races probably aren't very good for the body, they're great for the mind.  You built a lot of inner strength that day. 

2005-06-29 10:02 AM
in reply to: #186107

User image

Expert
Rocky Hill, Connecticut

Chris,
    Some insight I might try and add, being there and being a training partner.  I know that there is nothing else that you could have done to prepare for this race.  The conditions were just brutal and it became "survival" not a race. 

However, what Karl said about strengthening you mentally, tupper '05 sure did that.  As we discussed there were times both of us thought we were not going to finish, but we did!!

Great race.

Adios
Dave

2005-06-30 5:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada

Chris I read this and see a guy who trained hard, planned his race, and carried it off beautifully. Part of the fun of the training and race is that there is always a wild card - our bodies are human and not machines.... so on any given day you only get so much control. Proven over and over by the everyday athlete and the elite athlete - that 'perfect race' is rare. (and besides why is it considered less than perfect if it didn't go to plan, but you still learnt something you didn't expect too??)

You did awesome and more than anything, you got to take away from this race a "new inner source of energy, and learn what it really means to dig deep and perservere" - that is what it is all about anyway. (lol- well, most days anyway.)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tupper Lake Tinman Half Rss Feed