General Discussion Race Reports! » The Inaugural City of Philadelphia Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The Inaugural City of Philadelphia Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log
Philadelphia, PA
United States
89F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 04m 46s
Overall Rank = 629/996
Age Group = Clydes <39
Age Group Rank = 14/26
Pre-race routine:

Woke up @ 5:15.
5 hours sleep

Breakfast consisted of coffee, a bowl of raisin bran, an english muffin w/peanut butter and a banana smoothie all consumed by 6am.

Drank cytomax right up until the start. Popped 2 tylenol 8 hour gels 1 hour before the start. Also took 4 endurolytes, 1 hour prior.Had a carboom 15 minutes before the start.
Event warmup:

Arrived rather late but that was my plan since I was in the 10th of 12 waves. I set up my transiton area and was on the last bus that took us to the swim start. My friend Marita, who was also racing, sang the National Anthem. The 1st wave was @ 7am. I didn't start until 7:45, so I basically just relaxed and talk to friends.
Swim
  • 38m 22s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

Even though my time sucked, this was my best open water swim to date. It was also the 1st time I didn't have to turn over on my back to calm down / rest. I actually passed people and wasn't last in my wave.

I still have a long way to go but am confident I will get better as I gain more confidence. It really is more mental for me as I am more than capable, when in the pool.
Transition 1
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

As always, I am thrilled when I finally get out of the water. My eyes were burning and I was able to rinse them off, which provided much relief.

I got my suit to my waist and goggles/cap off right away and had a long run to my bike. I had a little trouble with my suit as well as getting one of my bike shoes on.
What would you do differently?:

I am noramally pretty quick in transitions b/c its free time so I was disappointed that I wasn't as fast as I know I can be
Bike
  • 1h 20m 50s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.45 mile/hr
Comments:

I have been training on the course for months, but never after a 1500 meter swim and it definately made a difference. I was cramping throughout the bike, despite all the fluids, gels and endurolytes that I took in.

I really got my but kicked on the climbs but usually caught all the people who would pass me on the downhills and flat sections.

The heat really affected me, as I am a HEAVY Sweater but everyone had to deal with it.

I really need to evaluate my nutrition plans b/c its been the same story for both of my olympic tris.
Transition 2
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

I was really tight and struggled to get my sneakers on. I actually had to sit down to get 1 of them on. I also took the time to massage my calves with " the stick" which helped a little.

Again, I know I am capable of being quicker.

more brick workouts after long rides
Run
  • 1h 00m
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Running is my strongest event, yet by looking at my times for the past 2 OLYs, you would never know it. I know I am capable of much faster times, so it really sucks that I am so thrashed by the time I get to the run. I wind up going hard until it hurts and then back off and repeat.

More bricks.
Post race
Warm down:

The ice cold bottle of water was like heaven, as I was certainly dehydrated. I had 1 bottle of endurox and then ate some of the post race food.

Event comments:

Not sure where to begin. This was run incredibly well for a 1st time event. To think that I almost didn't get to race it is crazy. This race is certainly going to grow in popularity over the years.

I volunteered at the expo and handed out the race T-shirts so I got to meet a lot of really cool people and also get an inside look at what's involved in making it all happen.

As for the race itself, it went off without any problems. Everyone I spoke to only had positive things to say.

Perhaps I am being hard on myself, since this is my 1st year of racing. I did 2 sprints and 1 olympic coming into this, all back to back each weekend and I have learned a lot.

Olypic is much different than a sprint and takes more planning.

Despite all the fluids and gels I took in, I was still dehydrated and now need to go back to the drawing board in terms of nutrtion. That and learn how to open water swim b/c I obviously suck at that.

Last updated: 2005-06-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:22 | 1640 yards | 02m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/26
Overall: 908/996
Performance: Average
My HR avg for the whole race was 167. It was pretty steady throughout.
Suit: IM Sleevless
Course: Started @ St. Joe's boathouse - in water, Point to Point River swim, down stream ( very little current) with a J turn slightly upstream to finish @ Schuylkil Beach. The start was very wide open.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:38
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:20:50 | 24.85 miles | 18.45 mile/hr
Overall: 463/996
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: 2 Loop hilly course, with several opportunities for maximum speed on the downhills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 02:57
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:00:00 | 06.2 miles | 09m 41s  min/mile
Overall: 595/996
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back on flat roads. It was an odd course that had 2 out and backs...but it did allow you to see lots of other competitors, which was cool
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-06-27 3:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
Subject: The Inaugural City of Philadelphia Triathlon

2005-06-27 3:22 PM
in reply to: #184742

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: The Inaugural City of Philadelphia Triathlon

Congrats John!  I hadn't realized you've raced all these consecutively.  That can take its toll. 

I agree that the organiztion for this was incredible.  With that many people in that tight an area, I think is was amazing that it seemed to run so smoothly.  And it was definately the best spectating race I've seen yet.

Sorry I missed you on Sat.  I looked around at registration and asked at the T3 table.  I met debs and she said she had just met you a few minutes before.  Anyway, maybe next time.  Congrats again!

2005-06-27 3:30 PM
in reply to: #184753

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
Thanks .....Yeah, I definatley race a lot more than I should but I felt I needed as much open water swim practice as I could get ....my swim time would have been much worse had it not been for devilman, bellplain, thundergust and Escape from Fort Delaware.

Sorry I missed you ...I was at the T3 table early and then at the T-shirt table handing on shirts after that for the remainder of the day.

Did you get a chance to check out the endless pool? I swam in it and it was awesome. Now all I need to do is find $20,000.
2005-06-27 6:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Florida!
yes, you are being much too hard on yourself. it's only your first year of racing and every little learning experience helps.

i was impressed with the organization of the race - i really had my doubts, as did rick, but lars pulled it together.

and, well, EVERYONE i know had a bad run because of the heat. really.
2005-06-27 7:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Home port

great race, John!  I think you had a great race, considering all the other races you have done this season.  See you at Diamondman.  Let me know if you want to ride the D-man course in July.  I'm trying to get JohnnyK, Mattmaxmick, and some other people to ride together.

Bmac

2005-06-27 9:04 PM
in reply to: #184893

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
Thanks debs ....it was great to finally meet you ....best of luck in FL

Bmac - a preview of Diamondman would be nice ....what date did you have in mind? I am racing just about every weekend in July but i really want to get out there

2005-06-28 8:00 AM
in reply to: #184961

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Congratulations, John!!! Well done!!!

I had jotted down your bib number, but wasn't able to find you.  Hope to see you next time.
2005-06-28 8:08 AM

User image

Good race, John.That heat on the run course was certainly a factor in your disappointment with your run time. I agree with you that the race was well organized and will grow in popularity! It sounds like you are having a very educational 1st year of racing.. keep it up
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Inaugural City of Philadelphia Triathlon Rss Feed