John Bingham Racing, LLC.
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 44m 32s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 512/622
Pre-race routine:

Followed BT's Silver 1/2 training plan. Tried to stick to the plan but life as always gets in the way.
Event warmup:

Stretching in the car, stretching when I got to the race site.
Run
  • 2h 44m 32s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Due to the rain I wasn't able to neg split the race :( The first half I was booking- 11:49 pace and had I kept that up I would of finished 463. Next time!
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Rain came down mile 8-9 or so and my feet got wet. It was absolute agony- I have huge blisters in my arches. Around mile 12 on a down hill I hurt my left knee.

Event comments:

Lots of freebies and a finisher medal.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-03-29 12:00 AM
Running
02:44:32 | 13.1 miles | 12m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/622
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
I used the run/walk strategy that was talked about on BT. I ran 7:30 then walked 30 seconds. I also walked the water stations, resetting my watch at the last trashcan.
Course: Tour of Downtown C-bus. Started out downtown, went through German Village, up High St, left at Lane Ave, down Olentangy River Rd to the Olentangy greenway back to downtown.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-05-01 6:58 PM

User image

Delaware, OH
Subject: The Capital City Half Marathon

2010-05-01 9:03 PM
in reply to: #2830649

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Subject: RE: The Capital City Half Marathon
Good Job Kate - you said you wanted to finish in less than 3 hours and you did!!! Sorry to hear about the blisters (yeck) I hear mole skin is a good friend for those. Hope to see you at Deer Creek in June.
2010-05-03 9:26 AM
in reply to: #2830824

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Congratulations Kate!
Sorry about the blisters! What kind of shoes/socks were you wearing? I purposely left my Zoots at home because they suck up water. I was OK in my cheap Nikes, though. Didn't notice my feet getting wet even though it rained most of the time.

Way to break 3 hours! Nice job!
2010-05-03 1:18 PM

User image

Delaware, OH
Thank you. I was in my Brooks which have been good for me. My socks were pretty thin, next time I will bring a back up pair or use thicker socks. This was my longest run ever and I'm stil learning. But now at least doing an Oly sounds do-able this year and I'm no longer afraid of running which was the goal of this race.
2010-05-03 6:03 PM

User image

Expert
Columbus
Nice job!  Was it a PR?  

I have used the walk the water stops strategy in Marathons.  It is good - legs get a second to recover and the gatorade goes down without choking or spilling. 
2010-05-03 10:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Congrats Kate. Nice job!

2010-05-05 1:35 AM

User image

Delaware, OH
I guess it was a PR Brue- it was my first HM!  I 100% had a PB on the first half- I don't think I've EVER run 11:44 min miles before.  I have no excuses this tri season on my run for a wimpy 5k.

I just realized that this race report has none of my trademark race report goofyness.  This just proves how much running is a mental game for me and it wiped me out.  But since I can think/type again: 

Mile 11 has been renamed "Mile Bacon" because that was the first thing that came to mind as I passed the marker.

Next time I'm carrying an extra pair of socks in a baggie should it rain again.

I said "thank you" to every cop that I ran past.  It became a game to elevate boredom.  All the pace booty was like an hour in front of me.  (note to self: learn to run faster)  Except when I ran by the Cols FD.  I told them 'thank you' as well but it was for other reasons

I loved everyone who came out and cheered us on in the rain.  I remember one girl at mile 4ish and again at mile 10.  I'm so glad I saw her again.  She remembered me from mile 4 and I bowed down to her superior cheering skills.  I really enjoyed running past one of the Gay bars- had a sign "Don't stop now, everyone it looking" and "Let's face it:  You've done far dumber things for much longer". 

I ran into non-tri friends of mine at the finish line- it was their 2nd & 3rd HM and a total surprise to see them.  I believe the phrase "Your signing up for the half in October, right Kate?" was said a few times so I guess I'll be doing the race in Oct.  Why not bookend my racing season with HM?

My parents surprised me and came into town from Lima.  They and my sister's family made it all the way down to the race but left due to the rain.  I didn't find out until after when Mom called me and asked where I wanted to eat.  After dinner Maryellen and baby Gigi presented me with a sign Gigi had made for me.  I'm kinda glad they didn't make it to the race because I would of started crying had I seen them.  I have the sign hanging on my craft room wall.  Hey, it's the first sign anyone has made for me, ergo special. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Capital City Half Marathon Rss Feed