Long Island Marathon
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 34m 43s
Overall Rank = 119/4073
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 18/312
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30 AM. Ate a banana, 1 packet of oatmeal and drank 2 cups of black coffee. Picked up Bill, Mike and Adam.
Event warmup:

Jogged forty yards to pee behind a dumpster and my quads felt sore. Uh oh. While I was peeing I smelt something really bad. Someone took a crap behind the dumpster and my right foot was in it. Double uh oh! First time I ever stepped in human feces. Me and the guys had a good laugh, and my gag reflex got an early workout.
Run
  • 1h 34m 43s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I had taped onto my Garmin splits for a 1:29:00 marathon, starting at 3 miles, then 6, 8, 10, & 12. I started with a 6:41 opening mile, followed by a 6:47, and 6:53. By the 3 mile mark I was already straining to hold the pace and I knew today was not to be my sub 1:30 day. Wisely, I backed the pace off and averaged a 7:30 for the next three miles. Runners began passing me, my avg dipped into the 8's for short while, I really felt the accumulated Ironman training fatigue affecting me -- For a moment I began to worry if I could even Run 13.1 miles. In the next moment, experience thankfully kicked in.

After 3 miles of pulling back on the reigns my stiff body loosened up, I reminded myself that I'd run 8 prior half marathons, and my running base I'd built since November all combined to create an surging energy within my muscles. I instantly felt renewed and fresh, the fatigue and strain melted away. I focused on my form and smooth breathing and I began pcicking off runners, all the way to the finsh line, not losing momentum even once. Mile 13 was a 7:04 and the final yards were at a 6:25 pace.

A month earlier in windy, harsher conditions I ran a 1:31:08 half marathon; but I learned A LOT during this Race.
What would you do differently?:

Bottom line is I learned I have to keep my expectations realistic. When the time comes and I concentrate on a sub 1:30 and specifically train for it, I know I will get it. I also learned to look where I step when peeing behind a dumptser.

I am VERY proud of myself for overcoming an early set back, realistically readjusting my goals on-the-fly and thus avoiding possibly BLOWING UP and DNF'ing.
Post race
Warm down:

After my friend Bill and Rick came in from the full marathon, I jogged out and found my buddy Mike Hall and he helped bring me back to the finish line. Mike had a TREMENDOUS PR!! Today was all about Mike and his PR; and my buddy Bill running his first Marathon and blowing away Sub 4 by 8 minutes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hammering out 43-miles at 21+ mph pace two days prior. :) The accumulated Ironman fatigue, 613 miles on the bike for the month of April, no Taper, etc...

Event comments:

This was a phenomenal event. From the Expo to the Post-Race ativities, and hundreds of volunteers, this is the Marquis Race for Long Island!

Last updated: 2010-03-02 12:00 AM
Running
01:34:43 | 13.1 miles | 07m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/312
Overall: 119/4073
Performance: Good
Course: Start at Nassau Colliseum and then run a small loop, head down Main Street, then turn onto the Wantaugh Parkway, then back to Eisenhower Park. Flat and Fast.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-05-02 6:23 PM

User image

Subject: Long Island Half Marathon

2010-05-02 7:11 PM
in reply to: #2831814

User image

Expert
Long Island, NY
Subject: RE: Long Island Half Marathon

Nice job, Bobby, but the only thing that I got out our of that RR is this:

You squat to pee.  Why else would your quads be sore while doing the business?  Or, did you poo on your shoe and blame it on some other guy?  I'm thinking it will remain one of life's mysteries... 

You'll get the 1:2X:XX when you're good and ready.  No doubt.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Long Island Half Marathon Rss Feed