Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 44m 46s
Overall Rank = 595/4104
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 88/350
Pre-race routine:

Being my first marathon I think even my 9 month old was exicted since she got up at 2.30am and made sure mommy and I were up too. Finally got moving about 4.45 and had coffee and a cliff bar as we made our way to downtown. Stopped at my office for a quick restroom break and a quick strech since it was lighting and raining outside. Rain was steady and moderate at this time.
Event warmup:

Hook up'd with some fellow BT'ers at the Hyatt and made our way to the start. At this time the rain had picked up and there were a few lighting bolts. We made it to the start about 4 minutes before the gun went off. We all went to the 8.50 pace group for the start. It was really raining at this time. It rained the entire race but after mile 2 or 3 I really don't remember it being so bad and by mile 5 it had just become a light shower to a drizzle.
Run
  • 3h 43m 36s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

As you can see in the splits - I went out a little slow but pick'd it up in mile 2. I was holding my own when I saw my wife at the 5 mile mark. I mentioned to her that I was going too fast and need to slow down. The 3 mile hill (5-8) helped with that as my pace slowed to the 8.15+. Once to the top we picked the pace back up. I ran with the same group from mile 5 to the finish - we split up a little about mile 22. I was feeling great! Chucking the miles off one by one and having no issues with breathing or muscles. I finnally thought that all the training was paying off at the right time. We hit mile 18 and as I was coming up on a GU station I had a slight twinge in my right thigh and it made me bobble for a second. Hmmm...first sign of any issues what so ever and first marathon....slow down. Dropped my pace into the mid 8's. It was comforting to see everyone around me having the same issues. Was I dehyrated? couldn't tell since it had been raining since the start. I was right on with my hydration plan. At mile 22 every muscle even the ones that I didn't know I had - started to cramp. I must say everyone I was running with came up with the same issues. I would stop for a quick strech and then run adhead as I would see them on the side streching. We all took turns on the side of the road and then played catch up. Finnally about mile 25 I knew I wasn't going to get that burst of energy from the crowd so I just managed to keep moving. It was great to crest the top of the last hill and see the Finish Swine! Having completed my first marathon and having my wife and family out on the course it was great! Couldn't of done it with out them!
What would you do differently?:

I guess the whole thought is should of went out a little slower and finished a little harder? But I think for what it is worth that would have gave me the same end result. I think I needed to keep everything in the low 8.xx and work on the nutrition thru the race a little better.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finished line and didn't see anyone. Got my blanket and medal and made my way back to the finish line to see if I could see any of the other BT'ers finish. After about 20 minutes I started to get the whole 'I need to sit NOW' feeling or that Gatorade I just had will be right back up. I made my way down the runner corral and got some pears. I sat on the curb and was feeling cold and sick. I had been running without my shirt on since mile 15 and the wind and rain...yea not doing well. I wated there about another 10-15 minutes and not seeing anyone I found someone with a cell phone and called my wife. They were about 100 yards away. She said I had no color. I was done. Cold/wet/sore but still had a smile on my face. We headed back to the car(about a mile to my office) and my legs were still cramping. I had jen loosen my laces. Awwwww much much better. Went for aother 1/2 mile walk about 7pm to keep the legs moving.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramps! Mile 22 till the end! Need to invest in body glide! Ran the last 10 miles with no shirt since the rain had made my tech shirt heavy and the vaseline wasn't helping and there was alot of chaffing! Now I know how my wife felt breast feeding!

Slight bit slower at start
Better run gear
Keep laces a bit looser
Check up on Nutrition/hydration
Keep Smiling!

Event comments:

Even with the rain I felt the support was great.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-04-09 12:00 AM
Running
03:43:36 | 26.2 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 88/350
Overall: 595/4104
Performance: Average
9.22/7.30/8.18/7.46/8.19/ 8.19/8.38/8.20/7.56/8.05/ 7.51/7.50/8.02/8.01/8.10/ 8.07/8.08/8.30/8.41/8.38/ 8.58/9.00/9.44/10.15/9.52/ 10.07/2.03
Course: Course was great. Challenging but fun. Took us through some towns that even as a local I wasn't aware of. Mile 5-8 were a steady climb up hill....yes for all 3 miles!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-03 8:49 AM

User image

Regular
Cincinnati
Subject: Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon

2010-05-03 1:42 PM
in reply to: #2832765

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon
Nice to meet up with you this weekend! 

I opted for the tri-top rather than have a wet, sagging shirt chafing me. 
2010-05-03 2:51 PM
in reply to: #2832765

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon
Awesome job, congrats.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon Rss Feed