General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Turtle Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2010-05-17 7:57 AM
in reply to: #2833616

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
Subject: RE: Turtle Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread

My swim time was HORRIBLE!  I kept reading on here how the current will wisk you down the beach to a personal record!  LOL  

I was feeling bad after the race and just went back to the room and passed out.  I just saw the results and found out I was third in my age group.  Glad to see there are people a lot slower than me.  I am planning on going back in October for the Red Cross Tri.  I want revenge on that swim course!

I missed meeting TheCube.  We were at the same hotel but I didn't see you at the pool.  Coldfire,  how did your brother do?  Congrats on a great race on a very tough swim and windy ride.

Edited by triton63 2010-05-17 8:00 AM

2010-05-17 8:31 AM
in reply to: #2862653

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
The Cube - 2010-05-17 8:55 AM

Thx Coldfire, good job also, it was a hard one.
Back in the pool today for an easy 2400. R&Rman in 3 weeks.
I hate finishing 4th, its like kissing you sister!!!

FM
"The" Cube

ha ha ha ha ^^^^^

Triton63 - Great seeing you out on the course! I was doing my best to cheer you on when I saw you on the run, but all that came out was a bunch of jibberous. Congrats on the AG podium!

My brother did well, and took 4th in clydes. I guess he was also kissing his sister, if he had one.
2010-05-17 8:37 AM

User image

Regular
Lilburn

My husband is still grumbling about the swim and the headwind!! 

I managed to place AG 1st in the 5K, which was a total surprise.  The hubs had such a crappy race I waited until we were headed home to show him my little sea turtle trophy.  Frown

It was nice to meet Cube before the race!  Great job on the 4th place finish.  And congrats to all that placed and finished that race...challenging conditions for sure.

Juanice

2010-05-17 8:45 AM

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
Juanice,  Is your last name Christian?  Age group ....same as my wife's??? 

Great job in the 5K!  My wife ran it, too.  However, as they were getting ready to start she heard someone say something about the chip.  She didn't have one!  Apparently several people didn't get one.  She went with her watch time and ran a PR for her.  She started the time when they said go and she was in the back of the pack.  I feel really bad for her because she didn't get an offical time. 

When did you find out about the chip?  They didn't mention anything to my wife about it when she signed up for the run.

Edited by triton63 2010-05-17 8:47 AM
2010-05-17 9:17 AM

User image

Regular
Lilburn

Yep, that's me.  I didn't know about the chip until about 30 minutes before the race.  I saw people tying them onto their shoes and went back over to the red tent to ask.  There was so much confusion with the 5K results and people complaining.  I felt bad for Jim Rainey.  Between people not knowing about the chips and some technical difficulties, it was rough for him. 

That stinks about your wife not getting an official time but awesome for the PR!! 

I was getting aggravated that the 5K start was delayed so long.  My warm up was pretty much useless after standing around for 25 minutes waiting to start and I was anxious to get finished with the run to see my husband on the bike/run.

2010-05-17 9:26 AM

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
Juanice,  What color shirt were you wearing?  My wife was wearing a pale yellow and white shirt with navy blue shorts.  Just curious if you saw her to figure out where she may have finished.  She was very disappointed this morning when I saw the results.  By her watch, which she started at "Go" she finished around 31:35.  She didn't stop it until she was past the finish line.  You two may have been close to each other at the finish.  Thanks for the info!

2010-05-17 9:30 AM

User image

Regular
Lilburn
I was wearing a white sleeveless shirt with the Sport Factory logo on it and a black running skirt plus white Big Peach hat. 

I clocked my run at 30:54, so I have no idea where the official 31:25 came from...I was super careful about hitting start and stop since I have to upload my file for my coach.  I figured he didn't really care how long it took me to get to the Terrapin beer tent.  Ha!
2010-05-17 10:33 AM
in reply to: #2862659

Regular
Augusta, GA

Hey, about horrible swim times. I think my hubby and I have pieced together some reasons why the swim took many people 3-4x longer this year than last and it had to do w/tides. The flow of tides happens on a bell curve increasing in intensity, meaning that the 1st and last 12th flow at 1/12 rate (speed/volume--?), the 2nd-3rd/10-11th flow at 2/12, and the others at 3/12. The tide charts for the day showed that our swim took place during the 3/12 flow, plus the tide was coming IN vs. last year when it was flowing out. The buoys were set early and therefore were further out than last year when the tide was decreasing. (People told me they could stand up if they needed to last year).

I was swimming w/a guy in serious distress. 3 or 4 guys stopped to help and flag down a boat. No rescue in sight and this guy was in trouble. Finally, a rescue on a surfboard came over so I moved on. Very scary. The race organizers need more watch boats/jet skis/surfers. That was a dangerous swim for people who feel uncertain in the water and who thought it would be a piece of cake.

Good news: next year the race will happen 2 hours before predicted low tide. So the flow won't be as rough, plus buoys will be set as the tide is moving out and therefore won't be so far out in the water! I still thought it was a great race and I was happy about everything else. Also I placed 1st in my AG Wink which was a nice surprise!

2010-05-17 10:40 AM
in reply to: #2863181

New user
Savannah, GA
Bouys were actually set the day before...I swam part of the course the night before. It felt like it was taking awhile, but I had board shorts on so I thought it was just some extra drag (I wasn't using a watch).

However, I could easily touch ground the night before, and the bouys looked pretty far out there. I'm still not quite sure what happened cause the course looked about the same as the night before. I'll take your word for it though - and congrats on the AG win!
2010-05-17 10:48 AM

New user
Savannah, GA
Just noticed they posted splits - that swim took me 43 minutes! The fastest swim was 28:11, but there were people in the water for over an hour!

http://gamultisports.com/turtle-crawl-race-results/

Edited by beckjon 2010-05-17 10:50 AM
2010-05-17 11:08 AM
in reply to: #2863210

Regular
Augusta, GA

If they were set the night before and you could stand during swim then I'm betting it had more to do with tide flow... any other theories out there? My first ocean swim: are they always this rough? Seemed like when I did a few breaststrokes around buoys I wasn't moving forward.

2010-05-17 11:41 AM

Regular
I'm not sure I understand the tide stuff posted earlier, but I know it was a tough swim for me. I also know it was a little dangerous for alot of people out there who thought this was gonna be an easy swim. I had to check on a couple of people that looked like they were having trouble.

It took me 25 min which was about 15 min more than I thought. I would just like to see more rescue crews and vols out there. That's my only gripe with the race, the rest of it was very nice even with the delays and timing troubles. I love this area and it's a great place for a tri...

Also, pretty pleased as I came dangerously close to my first top ten in clydes... I ranked 5th in swim, 9th on the bike and a dismal 25 (all out of 27 clydes) in the run. I guess I know what I need to work on...

Thanks to the Raineys and congrats to everyone out there who competed.
2010-05-17 12:10 PM

User image

Expert
I had a great race despite a 34 minute swim when I was expecting a 16 minute one.  I was also expecting a faster bike pace but the wind had other plans for me.  I'm a really crappy runner so I was ecstatic about going under 58 on the 10K (Actually, I would have been ecstatic with anything under an hour).  This was my first Olympic distance race and I felt better at the finish than I have at any of my sprint races so that's a definite plus for me.  I ended up 2nd in my AG but only because the 2nd and 3rd women overall were from my age group.  I want one of those sea turtles one day but I don't think that is in the cards with my lack of running skills.  It was nice meeting some BTers out there and I'll be seeing some of you in Macon in 3 weeks!
2010-05-17 12:36 PM
in reply to: #2863325

New user
Savannah, GA
bdroppleman - 2010-05-17 12:08 PM

If they were set the night before and you could stand during swim then I'm betting it had more to do with tide flow... any other theories out there? My first ocean swim: are they always this rough? Seemed like when I did a few breaststrokes around buoys I wasn't moving forward.

This was my 5th ocean swim.

1st was on Hilton Head Island (500m) - the ocean was like a lake. It was super smooth and we could stand the whole time.
2nd ocean swim was the exact same course on HHI (500m) - it was choppy, couldn't stand, and never got a rhythm (and it was only about 2 months later, same year).
3rd was the turtle crawl sprint last year (600m) - fast current, easy swim.
4th was on St Simon's last year for the Tri Red (400m) - also fast current, super short swim (like 7 minutes in the water. as a stronger biker/runner than swimmer, it was great!)
And now this year at turtle crawl was 5th...

So I guess I'm 3/5 on ocean swims being easy and fast...but the two that were bad were really pretty bad. I was recommending the turtle crawl to a lot of people as a great first race. Now I'm not sure I'd recommend anyone start with an ocean swim if they aren't a swimmer...it seems too volitile.
2010-05-17 12:57 PM

User image

Atlanta (BUTThead)
That was a very rough swim for me.  Due to school I only swam 3 times this year in an indoor pool.  I kept looking for bouys but everytime I looked up I saw water around me.  I actually swam probably 25m inland before I realized I was heading in (i was wondering why I was swimming so awesome) and had to swim straight back out into the crowd.

But I still love that race and I like the entire loop around the island vs last year's turn around.
2010-05-17 1:05 PM

User image

Regular
Rough swim for me too.  I had no idea it would be so bad.  I think it threw me off a lot not being able to sight easily.  I think it zapped me more mentally than anything, which slowed me down for the next couple of legs.  I did LOVE seeing the turtles being released though!

2010-05-17 1:35 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, Florida
Just looked at the splits and found out I place 4th AG swim, 1st AG bike, 4th AG run, 4th AG and 23rd overall, so feeling better about it. Still 4th sucks, like kissing your sister, rather be 5th...just sayin.

FM
"The" Cube
2010-05-17 2:57 PM

User image

New user
Hey all,

I did the oly and managed a 2nd in AG (50-54) despite a 47 min swim.  I knew we could have a problem when I saw the tide tables.  When the Tide is coming in it tends to rush south towads St. Andrews sound and the inlet there. A southerly wind flow will work against the current and cause a larger wave /breaker formations. (im not a weatherman but I do sail here) My buddy who is a very slow swimmer just swam to the shallow area and sort of walked/swam and beat me by 4 min. (2 weeks ago I beat him by 10 min in a 1000m swim) I bike a lot on Jekyl and the bike route that headed south at the beginning was the worst for a south wind. If we headed north after the swim it would have been fast. I still love this race and hope to do it again next year.  Great job to all of yall who braved that swim. (it was more like a HIM swim).
2010-05-17 4:17 PM

User image

Alpharetta, GA
The swim was epic!  It was very mental for me because I had convinced myself beforehand it was an "easy" swim at Jekyll.  Lesson learned: be mentally prepared for all possible swim conditions!  I was so happy to see bikes still in the transition area when I finished the swim!  My swim was almost 5 minutes slower than when I swam the 1.5 miles to Escape from Alcatraz 2 years ago and I am in better shape now.

I was 2nd masters female, and for my 1st tri in 2 years, it was a good race for me and I'll take it.  It looks like I was just a couple minutes ahead of crazyalaskian!

Great job to all!

Andi

Edited for spelling!

Edited by Anditrigirl 2010-05-17 4:19 PM
2010-05-17 7:22 PM

User image

New user

I feel so, so, so much better reading all of your posts about the swim.  I have not been able to stop thinking about what went so horribly wrong for me with it!  That was not just the hardest swim I've ever done;  it was the hardest THING I've ever done, period!

I wonder about this:  how is it fair that so many were swimming inside the buoys, others even walking?  I see an earlier post that says that his buddy, who swam/walked, beat him.  With all of the referees in the transition area and on the bike ride, isn't this cheating in the swim?  And given the absolute struggle that I had with the swim, it does irritate me that people "cheated" and got better finishes than I.  Being relatively new to tri's (this is only my 5th one), maybe I'm missing something? 

I'd love anyone's opinion!
2010-05-17 8:03 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Wow, sounds like you guys raced in very tough conditions! Way to go and congrats to all of you that podium'd!

2010-05-17 8:23 PM
in reply to: #2864501

User image

Alpharetta, GA
JenTruitt - 2010-05-17 8:22 PM I feel so, so, so much better reading all of your posts about the swim.  I have not been able to stop thinking about what went so horribly wrong for me with it!  That was not just the hardest swim I've ever done;  it was the hardest THING I've ever done, period!

I wonder about this:  how is it fair that so many were swimming inside the buoys, others even walking?  I see an earlier post that says that his buddy, who swam/walked, beat him.  With all of the referees in the transition area and on the bike ride, isn't this cheating in the swim?  And given the absolute struggle that I had with the swim, it does irritate me that people "cheated" and got better finishes than I.  Being relatively new to tri's (this is only my 5th one), maybe I'm missing something? 

I'd love anyone's opinion!

Good question!  Here is the swim course description from the Ga Multisports website:

Swim: Time trial start for this leg of the event with your start based on previously submitted time. Point to point course designed with buoys on the left during the swim.

Buoys were to remain on the left.  They could have been DQd or received a time penalty - whatever is customary per USAT rules and/or the race director.  (And in my opinion, probably should have been penalized in some way.)  I believe I heard Jim Rainey say after the race (before the awards ceremony) that some competitors were asked to go back out.  But I am not sure if I heard everything he said.  I believe those athletes swam out around the first buoy and then came right back in to the shore...

Awesome job on your race - be proud!!

Andi
2010-05-17 9:13 PM

User image

Expert
Actually.  Typical protocol is that the only bouys that have to be on your left are the "directional" bouys which were the triangle ones.  You shouldn't have had to be to the right of the orange ones.  And, it shouldn't have been an advantage to swim out and back in because you'd still have to swim back out to be to the right of the last bouy which means you are swimming a longer path (unless, of course, you are walking).  I heard Jim talk about the same thing at the awards presentation which confused me.  Granted, I don't think people should be walking during the swim of a tri either and maybe that was what he was referring to.  I don't think you could walk very fast in the water with the super thick mud/sand that you sink into.  I don't know if I kept all of the orange ones to my left because I had to swim out some to corner the last bouy and swimming out, again, was not fun.  Sighting was a real problem for me during the swim because most of the time I couldn't see any bouys.  
2010-05-17 10:00 PM

Regular
My opinion? If the RD isn't going to penalize (and it appears to me that he knew that it went down - I was at the awards ceremony when I heard him mention it as well) then I think every one of those people that cut the course (this is the only infraction, you are legally able to use the bottom surface and I would say that includes walking) should have disqualified themselves.

Unless they swam in and out and went to the right of the buoys at least once (which I'm sure they didn't) then they cut the course and should not finish before a legal finisher.

I'm pretty sure no one got penalized because it wasn't on the penalty sheet at the van. I hope at least they were forced to go out to the last buoy as long as they were not in danger.

My opinion is that these people did not complete the triathlon and they should never be scored before a legal finisher.

3.4 Race Conduct. All participants in USA Triathlon sanctioned events must adhere to the rules in this Section 3.4:
a. Entire Course. Participants must cover the prescribed course in its entirety. It is the participant’s responsibility to know the course. Any violation of this section, even if no advantage is gained, shall result in a variable time penalty, unless the Head Referee in his sole discretion determines that (i) the violation was substantial and resulted in an unfair time advantage, or (ii) the violation constituted endangerment under Section 3.4(l). In the event the Head Referee makes such a determination, the penalty shall be disqualification.

Edited by chumpy36 2010-05-17 10:09 PM
2010-05-18 7:23 AM

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
I remember seeing some swimmers far inside the bouys and some walking in chest deep water.  I thought they were dropping out and walking up to the beach.  At one point I considered joining them.  I did see one person swimming out to the last yellow bouy before the turn to the finish.  

My understanding was you had to stay outside the yellow and red bouys, keeping them on your left.  As slow as I was moving it would have been faster to swim out to the corner bouys, swim back to shore, wade/swim to the next corner and swim back out and around it to the finish.   
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Turtle Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 4