Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-05-12 10:17 AM
in reply to: #2853644

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Subject: RE: Lost 05/11 spoilers

If that's the logic by, then why not stab him to death? Because the knife would be what killed him, not Jacob...

That wasn't logic I was using.  That was advanced lostiramus stretchasaurous datruthacide (LSD). 

Edited by morey1 2010-05-12 10:17 AM

2010-05-12 10:20 AM
in reply to: #2852925

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western MA

Jacob showed Richard the wine bottle on the beach, not Hurley, I think.

I remember MIB telling Richard that "this was done to him" and that his humanity was taken away from him by becoming the smoke monster.  I guess it explains the animosity he has towards his brother.

The wine bottle and name thing have me baffled.  The wine bottle has shown up now three times - once with Richard on the beach, once by Jacob offering it to MIB, and once when Jacob had to drink out of it by his mother's insistence.  Is there any other significance to it?  Essense of the island or something to that effect?  Also - the name has to be important, otherwise, why obviously hide it for so long?  I've been racking my brain going over history for brothers named Jacob and ? so any related lines there.

And oh - how did one woman fill a deep hole like that and kill everyone in the camp by herself? 

I agree that I think they're not going to wrap things neatly up for us - much like a Soprano's ending "What the hell just happened?"

This was by far my least favorite episode. My husband and I looked at each other when it ended and after a long silence he said "Well that answered a lot of questions" and rolled his eyes.

2010-05-12 10:27 AM
in reply to: #2853709

User image

Master
Denver
brownlab - 2010-05-12 9:20 AM

I remember MIB telling Richard that "this was done to him" and that his humanity was taken away from him by becoming the smoke monster.  I guess it explains the animosity he has towards his brother.

The wine bottle and name thing have me baffled.  The wine bottle has shown up now three times - once with Richard on the beach, once by Jacob offering it to MIB, and once when Jacob had to drink out of it by his mother's insistence.  Is there any other significance to it?  Essense of the island or something to that effect?  Also - the name has to be important, otherwise, why obviously hide it for so long?  I've been racking my brain going over history for brothers named Jacob and ? so any related lines there.

And oh - how did one woman fill a deep hole like that and kill everyone in the camp by herself? 

I agree that I think they're not going to wrap things neatly up for us - much like a Soprano's ending "What the hell just happened?"

This was by far my least favorite episode. My husband and I looked at each other when it ended and after a long silence he said "Well that answered a lot of questions" and rolled his eyes.

Maybe she was the smoke monster at that point?  Who knows.  I want to see MIB's wallet.  I bet it says "Bad MFer".
2010-05-12 10:37 AM
in reply to: #2853709

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

brownlab - 2010-05-12 11:20 AM

Ummm . . . Esau?

41 And Esau hated Jacob because of the blessing wherewith his father blessed him. And Esau said in his heart: 'Let the days of mourning for my father be at hand; then will I slay my brother Jacob.'

Edited by roch1009 2010-05-12 10:38 AM
2010-05-12 10:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albuquerque
The writers of this show really love their mythology.  Claudia was the mythological mother of the TWINS Romulus and Remus (who went on to found the city of Rome).

What was up with the switcheroo from speaking Latin to speaking English?  Why should Claudia know English?  Or any of these people for that matter, considering the time period this appears to be? 
2010-05-12 10:40 AM
in reply to: #2853781

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albuquerque
roch1009 - 2010-05-12 8:37 AM

brownlab - 2010-05-12 11:20 AM

Ummm . . . Esau?

41 And Esau hated Jacob because of the blessing wherewith his father blessed him. And Esau said in his heart: 'Let the days of mourning for my father be at hand; then will I slay my brother Jacob.'

Yep.  Jacob and Esau were fraternal twins. 

2010-05-12 10:44 AM

User image

Master
Denver
Has anyone seen a translation for the spell their mother said when she got Jacob to drink the wine?
2010-05-12 10:45 AM
in reply to: #2853789

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river
megtrow - 2010-05-12 11:39 AM The writers of this show really love their mythology.  Claudia was the mythological mother of the TWINS Romulus and Remus (who went on to found the city of Rome).

What was up with the switcheroo from speaking Latin to speaking English?  Why should Claudia know English?  Or any of these people for that matter, considering the time period this appears to be? 

I think that was so we didnt have to read subtitles through the whole episode - or have to teach the young kids how to speak Latin.  I think that English was learned through out time as more ppl visited the island.  I dont think Richard spoke english at first either.

'The Hunt for Red October' did a similar move
2010-05-12 10:49 AM
in reply to: #2853736

User image

Champion
the colony texas
drewb8 - 2010-05-12 10:27 AM

T

and how did she know that the wheel was a bad thing??

Maybe the wine bottle was more than just a symbolic drink? but then MIB smashed it

she was happy when one baby was born, surprised at two. Did she not need two?  maybe only a child that was born on the island, since that is the only way she could be killed??  and that is why neither one can harm each other?

I kind of understand the whole jacob not really killing his brother part,  It was the whatever was in that pit/well and once a human body went in there it could be released and take on others forms.    More like I can't kill you but someone else can.  Just like MIB sent richard to kill jacob

what I still don't understand is why the belief that either of them must be killed before they speak,
2010-05-12 10:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albuquerque
Ok, two more things and I'm out for a while...

1.  How did the "mother" destroy the donkey wheel well, kill everyone in the village, and burn it all down... by herself??  We have no idea who or what she is.

2.  Where does the freaking four-toed statue come from????
2010-05-12 11:02 AM
in reply to: #2853789

User image

Pro
Texas
NM.

Edited by JBrashear 2010-05-12 11:04 AM

2010-05-12 11:13 AM
in reply to: #2853884

User image

Champion
the colony texas
JBrashear - 2010-05-12 11:02 AM NM.

driving yourself crazy huh? 
2010-05-12 11:24 AM

User image

drewb8 - 2010-05-12 8:27 AM

Maybe she was the smoke monster at that point?  Who knows.  I want to see MIB's wallet.  I bet it says "Bad MFer".

1.  Mad props for not one, but two awesome PF references.

2.  X whatever for a crappy episode, crappy acting (Allison Janney was a distraction), should have been episode 2 this season, not here

3.  I don't mind unanswered questions, but this one only answered the relationship between the boys and the MIB, and how smokey started.  But the questions it raised were big ones, i.e. why couldn't they kill eachother (just cuz she "set it up that way"????), what is the light (Marcellus Wallace, snicker), what the hell does the wheel have to do with it, etc etc etc

I felt as if I was watching Avatar with all the light is the good blah blah blah........
2010-05-12 11:45 AM
in reply to: #2853826

User image

Master
Denver
megtrow - 2010-05-12 9:50 AM Ok, two more things and I'm out for a while...

1.  How did the "mother" destroy the donkey wheel well, kill everyone in the village, and burn it all down... by herself??  We have no idea who or what she is.

2.  Where does the freaking four-toed statue come from????

I think I saw it in the SkyMall catalog last time I travelled.  It was right under the inflatable floating tanning bed for your pool.

One interesting note is that Jacob and bro were NOT raised by their mother, they were raised by 'another' - exactly what Claire was told not to have happen.  I was starting to think maybe Aaron will be Jacobs replacement since, just like Jacob he was born on the island (and didn't Ilana say there were 6 candidates, but we only know of five names).  But it also made me wonder - if Jacob is dead, who is protecting the island now?  Is it still Jacob?  And if it is, why bother handing off the protection duties if the same person can protect it from the grave?
2010-05-12 12:57 PM

User image

Regular
drewb8 - 2010-05-12 8:27 AM

Maybe you are onto something with her being the smoke monster. Maybe that is why she is happy to finally die.
2010-05-12 4:22 PM
in reply to: #2854299

User image

Champion
the colony texas
so if the island is the literal cork that is stopping evil or what ever from coming out into the rest of the world,, does that mean the Leak is in the ocean or ocean floor somewhere, and by sinking the island (cork) it is driving the cork so far into the bottle it will never be released.

did they ever say why they use a sub to get to the island,, fear of being followed etc???

2010-05-13 2:07 PM
in reply to: #2852951

User image

Extreme Veteran

JBrashear - 2010-05-11 9:39 PM And what the hell: if Jacob's now the same as her & she can get killed by MIB, why can't Jacob get killed by MIB?

I wondered if the false mom could be killed because he did not speak to her before he killed her, as a couple of people were instructed to do (and failed) earlier this season (e.g. Sayid instructed to kill 'John Locke'). 

ETA - yeah I think she was happy to be killed...

Also, we haven't heard both their names - could it be that they are both named Jacob?

F?inally?, ?the ?switch ??????????????????????????????????????????f?r?o?m????????? Latin was probably just a device so we didn't have to listen to Latin and read subtitles for the whole episode.

Edited by tracyhmcd 2010-05-13 2:12 PM
2010-05-13 2:57 PM
in reply to: #2857053

User image

Pro
Texas
tracyhmcd - 2010-05-13 2:07 PM

Also, we haven't heard both their names - could it be that they are both named Jacob?

From an interview with the producers I read yesterday, he's never going to be named.
2010-05-13 3:35 PM
in reply to: #2857053

User image

Champion
the colony texas
tracyhmcd - 2010-05-13 2:07 PM

JBrashear - 2010-05-11 9:39 PM And what the hell: if Jacob's now the same as her & she can get killed by MIB, why can't Jacob get killed by MIB?

I wondered if the false mom could be killed because he did not speak to her before he killed her, as a couple of people were instructed to do (and failed) earlier this season (e.g. Sayid instructed to kill 'John Locke'). 

ETA - yeah I think she was happy to be killed...

F?inally?, ?the ?switch ??????????????????????????????????????????f?r?o?m????????? Latin was probably just a device so we didn't have to listen to Latin and read subtitles for the whole episode.

I agree it made it easier and it also explains why the others spoke latin,, Jacobs native tounge.

I agree with the mother not speaking making it possible to kill her, someone pointed out that she said the word "nothing"  after being stabbed and it was the same knife syid was given to kill Flocke, (who said hello first). So maybe that knife also has special meaning/ability 

Also she never said that she make it so they couldn't kill her. jUst that they couldnt' kill each other.  When she told them that they both weren't ready yet, I was thinking that she wanted someone to kill her.  And she did thank him for killing her at the end.

I'm thinking that she was both the smoke monster and the island protector, thats how she knew what happens to people that follow the light, she did it.   Then again didnt' the MIB once say that the island doesn't really need a protector but people just think they need to protect it.  Could that be Windmore or is he more like what the mother said. everyone has that light, but some men just want more and to control it.

Also jacob didn't get to make the rules of thier childhood game, but was told that one day he will get to make the rules for his game
2010-05-13 5:06 PM

Master
ABC posted on youtube two previews for next week's episode -

Sneak Peek 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDAJJ27Ww7Q

Sneak Peek 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nw7CvdfqtA&feature=related

I dig the promo for next week's episode with The Door's 'The End'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGHLrG6hTKI
2010-05-13 5:22 PM

Master
Playing around on youtube...but ABC had a Lost Season Finale promo contest...

Obsession (my favorite)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mBveRjf2hU&feature=related

Convergence (this one won the contest)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCwzyNMySrM&feature=related

2010-05-14 9:17 AM

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
There is no replacement, that's why the island (has) sunk. The fake mom told Jacob he had no choice, while Jacob has thus far been a champion of "you always have a choice". He realized that he had a choice, wasting his whole life living on the island protecting this ambiguous light. He decides to keep the evil one (Mr. Special) at bay and not have to worry about anyone else wasting his/her life to protect the light or the island, so he sinks the island. In conjunction with the "cork theory" as someone explained earlier in the thread.
2010-05-14 7:16 PM

Master
Last night the cast of Lost met up in UCLA for a performance by Michael Giachino (he composed Up) of Lost music and apparently, they played part one of the series finale which airs on Tuesday.

The person that saw the episode says that it takes Lost to a whole new level. Of course, I read a spoiler which I shouldn't have, and I won't reveal it, but the episode seems awesome. Can't wait!
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Lost 05/11 spoilers Rss Feed  

of 2