Madison, Wisconsin
United States
Ironman North America
Total Time = 14h 48m 33s
Overall Rank = 1751/2400
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 280/357
Event warmup:

walked around, talked to people, tried not to get too nervous..
Swim
  • 1h 33m 53s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

started out next to Sandi and Josh. We started near outside, kind of towards the back. The cannon went off, and away we went. Got to talk to a bunch of people on kayaks, because for some reason, I dediced to turn a little right. Almost hit the big boat at the first turn.

Did well the remainder of the first lap, but as I was turning to do the second lap, I got swam over, either by the pros going to the finish, or people who were somehow behind me and were now swimming really fast... I'm going with option number 1.

Just kind of enjoyed myself until 50 yards from the finish, when my right calf decided to cramp up.... ARE YOU SERIOUS??? I swimm over 4100 yards, and NOW it decides to cramp up? So I say a few inappropriate words while trying to get it to go away, but then the left one starts to cramp. I try a little backstroke while panicking, which starts the hamstrings cramping, so quickly roll back over, take a few deep breaths, and go forward with just my arms for a little bit until the cramps go away.

Coming onto the ramp out of the water, I take off my cap, and I hear someone call my name right next to me.... who could it be??? SANDI!! We came out of the water at basically exactly the same time, and walked up the helix together - saw some family and friends, so the land portion of the day is about to start......
What would you do differently?:

nothing. I got in the water -- I got out of the water. That was the goal.
Transition 1
  • 12m 54s
Bike
  • 7h 11m 7s
  • 112 miles
  • 15.59 mile/hr
Comments:

Got on the bike and was feeling really good. Just out for a nice (long) bike ride.. Got out of town and into Verona when things opened up at least a little, then I realized that I passed a lot of people on the uphills, and then got passed going down the hills. That sucks. Was asked by several people who said they wanted to do hill training -- which is weird, 'cause I haven't really ever liked hills much.

Had a great time, except for miles 80-95 (ish) -- the spot where all the big hills were on the second loop, but not for reasons that you may think. Coming out of Cross Plains (I think that was the place -- the town that has the coffee shop on the left, then you turn right, and the railroad tracks are right there...), I hit the railroad tracks and lost all my water. At that point, the Perp was basically a hot Latte, and not going down as well, but the water and Gatorade was nice, so I was drinking that. I had a little gatorade left, but the water was completely gone - had to go back to pick up my aerobottle form the road. So those hills really sucked, 'cause I didn't have a whole lot of fluid to replace.

Once I got more fluid at the next aid station, life was all good again, and the ride back into Madison was really cool. I was going over times in my head, figuring that I would be able to get off the bike by 4:00, which would give me 8 hours to finish the run, and I was actually feeling really good (knock on wood). Unless I screwed things up on the run, my confidence was growing, thinking that 'yeah, I can finish this!!'

Got in just before 4:00, and it was all good.
Transition 2
  • 10m 1s
Comments:

Spent a bunch of time talking to a volunteer in T2 who had and ART shirt on. We talked about that for while, as he asked if I was o.k. I told him I was fine, just taking a little break before the run, and hoping to enjoy it as much as possible.
Run
  • 5h 40m 40s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m  min/mile
Comments:

wow, this was awesome!! I couldn't believe all the donkey's out on the course, along with the spectators who just had a good time with all of us because they were drunk. I don't ever think I had so much fun on a run. I kept seeing all sorts of donkeys, but not Sandi, until just after I had passed the 1/2 way point, and she was going into the 1/2 way point. There wasn't too much of a time space between us, and she had said that she was going to try to catch me, and I was totally good with that. I was just having a good time, placing one foot in front of the other.

Got out to mile 22ish (the straight away part that had no lights), and then I started to get pretty tired, but still thought - only 5 more miles to go (or so...) Worked through that, and came back around the streets, and caught up to Cole Braun (RACC) who was having some stomach issues. Walked with him for a while trying to offer some support, which I think helped a little.

Coming back into the lights of the finish line, with the crowd getting louder and louder, there were several times that I got chllls, trying to comprehend the distances that I had covered through the whole day -- I came around the back side of the capitol, and my parents and sister were there, so I talked to them for a little while (Sandi still hadn't caught up, and I really wanted to cross the finish line with her. It wasn't about the finishing TIME, it was about finishing with HER). Turned the corner to where the Run gear bags were, and saw djdavey, schwimmycoach, nashers, and I think a few others, so I stopped and talked to them for quite a while. There were people who were a little confused, as I was running, got to the final "chute", and then stopped short. People kept telling me "you only have a little more to go", and "come on, you can do it! Finish strong!" But I was waiting for Sandi. I also saw Eileen, one of the nurses from Children's and was able to talk to her for a little bit.

Watching back around the corner, I finally saw Sandi. I kind of teared up a little (again), and cheered her on. When she got up to us, we ran down the chute together, and I heard them call both of our names, then that we were husband and wife, AND IRONMEN!!! That was really cool. Wish I was able to get THAT on audio.....
What would you do differently?:

Cross the finish line a second faster....

Those who know me, know that I have never beaten Sandi in a triathlon that we have competed at the same distance. I have been getting closer, but it still hasn't happened. When we looked up the official finishing times, she beat me by 1 second. Rats........
Post race
Warm down:

walked around for a while, talked to a few people, and just kind of enjoyed the whole experience.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the fact that I just wanted to enjoy myself as much as I possibly could for the entire day --- which I did. I loved this "race", and even before I crossed the line, had said that I want to do this again..... just not next year. (2011 maybe??)

Event comments:

LOVED this race! SO many friends (and strangers) cheering all day. It was FANTASTIC!!!

Last updated: 2008-11-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:33:53 | 4224 yards | 02m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 318/357
Overall: 2058/2400
Performance: Good
Suit: full
Course: 2 loops in Lake Menona...
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 12:54
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:11:07 | 112 miles | 15.59 mile/hr
Age Group: 293/357
Overall: 1858/2400
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 10:01
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:40:40 | 26.2 miles | 13m  min/mile
Age Group: 240/357
Overall: 1535/2400
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-05-14 4:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI
Subject: Ironman Wisconsin

2010-05-14 4:32 PM
in reply to: #2859819

User image

Champion
Chicago
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin
Nice race Travis! I thought IMMOO was in September, though.
2010-05-14 4:39 PM

User image

Master
piece o heaven

Congrats - who knew when this all started we would be Ironmen!

c'mon 2011!!!!!!!!

2010-05-14 8:10 PM
in reply to: #2859844

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI

mr2tony - 2010-05-14 4:32 PM Nice race Travis! I thought IMMOO was in September, though.

got stuck in transition...

2010-05-14 9:35 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
YAAAAAYYYYY  for IM Travis!!

YOU.  ARE.  AN.  IRONMAN!!!
2010-05-15 9:10 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

Will be an honor toeing that line with you again in 2011 my friend!!!!

2010-09-02 11:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Between Madison and Milwaukee
Reading IM race reports...I really liked yours. You have such a positive attitude!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Wisconsin Rss Feed