Lubbock, TX
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 15m 54s
Overall Rank = 434/751
Age Group = 18-24
Age Group Rank = 4/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3:45am. Packed stuff in the car. First mistake was made in my breakfast I only had one packet of Instant oatmeal instead of my regular pre race IHOP. Definitely not enough calories. Thank God for the Good meal at Carino's the night before(With an awesome group from BT).
Event warmup:

Jogged 1 mile with Christie and swam to get comfortable in the water.
Swim
  • 36m 39s
  • 2000 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

I did awesome on the swim! I have finally overcome my fear of the GREEN. I took my time getting in the water so as to put myself in the back of the pack and set my own pace. I didn't freak out once. YEAHHHHH!!!! Spent the rest of the time slowly passing people, but swimming my own race. My navigation was pretty on target. (that's a first)
What would you do differently?:

The improvement from this swim to the last one I did was amazing and did a lot for my confidence. Next time around I will work on picking up the pace a little bit, but for this race it was perfect. I was very happy with it.
Transition 1
  • 03m 17s
Comments:

I am too lax in my transitions. It weird my adrenalin rushes so fast I go slow just to calm myself down. I'll have to work on it between now and August. I loved the wetsuit strippers, they were awesome.

I need to practice transitions. Clear my head a bit. Run faster to my bike.
Bike
  • 3h 03m 31s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.31 mile/hr
Comments:

I was second in my age group coming off the bike, but this is where I made the biggest mistakes of my race. I didn't drink enough. I only had 1 1/2 gallons of liquid on the bike (Accelerade and Water). I completely forgot that I had endrulytes on me and didn't take them at all and then I only ate four of the goos I brought. Hmmm. With 3 miles to go I got my first twinge of a cramp in my quads, but ignored it. I was working on my pace. But after having a discussion with myself decided to drop down a gear. My goal had been to maintain 90 cadence throughout which was damn impossible on the hills, but I did a good job on the flats. I had never changed gears so many times in my life. I was very happy with my bike. I had a good time and felt good.

Problem was I didn't realize how dehydrated I had already become. Getting through the bike comfortably was fine. But the muscle cramps weren't from fatigue so much as dehydration.
Transition 2
  • 03m 11s

I need practice. I should have stuck a water bottle in my sports bra.
Run
  • 2h 29m 13s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

It didn't matter how much I tried to drink on the run. It was too late. My goal was to get through the run with as little walking as possible, but at 250M out I realized I might have to walk most of the 13.1 miles. It started out with my quads cramping. When I tried to stretch those out my hamstrings started cramping. They alternated like this for a while and since they weren't going to stop I decided to try running on them anyway. Then my calves joined in. The best part was when my ankles started cramping and I had to do this funny throw my leg in front of me thing. It was great. The aid station people were amazing. I would walk away from them with two cups of water one of gatorade that tasted double strength, wet towels and a banana. I was triple fisting it. I drank one of each and poured one on me. At one point though, pouring the water on my head started to shock my system its like my heart skipped a beat. The bananas weren't helping the cramping so after eating 3 halves I stopped. Bananas and my stomach only like each other in small quantities. And running I didn't want to push it. I ate 3 goos.

Take endrulytes and be better hydrated from the start. I also need to work on my hills. Because of the cramping I couldn't even use the huge downhills to my benefit. My quads and my knees were in agreement on their hatred.
Post race
Warm down:

I sat down. Should have done more, but I hurt too bad. Getting in the lake would have been good to cool me down and loosen me up, but I hate having my friends and family wait for me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Dehydration!!! This is the hardest race I have ever done in my life. The thought of doing a full IronMan in the near future doesn't even seem plausible. I don't think I'll try my hand at an IronMan for at least 3 more years. I've got some things to work on. Although the run was a big slap in the face. I learned a lot about what I need to work on and how important hydration/nutrition are to long races. You can push yourself mind over matter for two hours, but six is a completely different matter. Your body has more say. (at least in my case)

Event comments:

I can't give this race a best because it hurt so bad, but it was extremely well run and the volunteers were amazing. There definitely could have been more post race food and the bagels were not tasty. Who knows maybe by the time I finished it was all gone. Otherwise awesome.

And to all the BTers I met, it was great to see faces you knew on the course. Although after the race I swore I would never do this race again... Now that I am walking a bit more normally I am pondering it. Can't let the course beat me and then not give it a second shot right. --Pain remembered is never as bad as pain present.

Last updated: 2005-06-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:39 | 2000 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/751
Performance: Good
Suit: QR
Course: Big loop with separate entrance and exit points. Huge orange bouys marked the course.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 25C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:17
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
03:03:31 | 56 miles | 18.31 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Headwind
Course: 2 huge hills right out of transitions. The first one was the steepest of the course at 8.9%. Let me tell you 3 minutes into the bike and my lungs were burning even being in a small gear. Luckily there were plenty of flats to catch my breath. Lots of long steep hills, but thanks to the guys at RBM I discovered my small chain ring. Its my newest friend. We bonded. After driving the course on Saturday I was a little weary about the Winding Staircase, Mainly because it drops off a cliff, but doing it on a bike was a lot of fun. All I could do was laugh. Yes, we pay for this.
Road:  Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:11
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:29:13 | 13.1 miles | 11m 23s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: HILLY! with a stretch of flat.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-30 12:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Subject: Buffalo Springs Lake Half IronMan

2005-06-30 12:31 PM
in reply to: #187228

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Subject: RE: Buffalo Springs Lake Half IronMan

You raced REALLY well!!!  You say you can't imagine doing a full IM inside 3 years, and I think if you were doing IMFL with me in November, you'd be great!  You were so close to busting out on this one - just a little hydration issue.  I'm super impressed!!

Meeting you, Christy, your family, and the other BTers made the whole weekend fun.    I hope you're there next year too!  I'm already psyched to whip that course next time !!!

2005-06-30 3:16 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

You had an great race.  You missed a podium spot in your AG by only a few minutes.  Very good swim and bike times.  If you did this race again next year and got your hydration right, you would be in the top 3.  Not living in this part of the country, you probably didn't realize just how hot and dry it is.  The day we raced, the humidity was about 20%.  Humidity that low will just suck the fluid right out of you.

It was great meeting you and Christie and your family.

TJ

2005-06-30 5:07 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

GREAT job, Jessie!  Just finishing BSL is an accomplishment because the course is so tough!  And your time was fabulous! 

You will come back STRONG next year with more KNOWLEDGE!  Woohoo!  Watch out!

2005-07-01 10:03 AM

New user

Subject: Congrats!!
Heck of a race! Way to knock out your first 1/2! You have a good base to work from now, i.e. knowing what to remember and drink/eat to get you through feeling stronger. Sounds like you kicked bootie in the swim too! Nice race Girl! Something tells me you won't forget to take your Edurolytes again!!

Congrats!

Are we taking bets on the 3 years to an IM or shorter?! I bet shorter!

p.s. glad the bike is working out for you!

Edited by Trigrl 2005-07-01 10:04 AM
2005-07-01 10:37 AM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl

Jessi,

Enjoyed the weekend and the chance to meet you and your family!

You had a great race and where able to take away something that will make you stronger and better.  Which is quite scary, because that was one heck of a performance on your first HIM....not to mention a tough course like this one.  Congrats again!

2005-07-01 11:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Texas! & Ann Arbor, MI!
Kanoe,
I'm so proud of you! You're an inspiration to me and I hope to be able to compete w/ you in HIM's in the near future. You know I'll be there whenever you do your IM. You rock girl. So much fun! Love you!
2005-07-01 1:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Thanks for the support guys, can you believe its only been 5 days and I'm already pondering doing another half in September. THIS ONE IS supposed to be FLAT AND FAST average temps 65!!! I hope to see you guys again in races to come.

I'm not betting on the full IronMan. I know myself well enough to know I might lose. It is just so hard to imagine right now going twice the distance. So to all those people who have completed a half and/or a full IronMan I have great respect for you.
2005-07-01 2:17 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
You need bike help from me?? Ha, girly, you were certainly holding your own out there. My apologies for laughing when you said you would do the bike in around 3 hours. I honestly didn't think it was possible for any of us based on the level of difficuly of the course. I've just been at it a little longer than you...just keep riding, you're already awesome! And if you ever want to see some hills remember that East Texas is only a couple hours away and we'll gladly show you around
2005-07-01 2:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Gina,
Funny thing is I did the Collin Classic two weeks prior and it was rolling hills the whole time with a couple of pretty long moderate grade hills. And I did it in 2:50. I didn't realize what I was up against. Driving the course helped me out. Oh but I was only 3 minutes off. East Texas sounds like a good place to train. I might have to check out some of the Longview(?) rides.

2005-07-01 3:25 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
When it comes to Buffalo Springs the main thing is the wind, not the hills. At least the hill comes to the end, whereas the wind just keeps on a comin'.

2005-07-02 3:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas, TX
I guess I was not alone in the cramp situation. Great job overcoming it.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buffalo Springs Lake Half IronMan Rss Feed