General Discussion Race Reports! » Revolution 3 Olympic Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Revolution 3 Olympic Distance Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Knoxville, Tennessee
United States
Revolution 3
67F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 47m 16s
Overall Rank = /480
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/49
Pre-race routine:

MONTHS LEADING UP TO THE RACE:

From March to April has been incredibly busy with travel to MultisportWorld expos, kids spring break and a trip to the AMSSM conferance to do some video. I made sure to get 2 swims in per week as I new I needed that at the minimum for the race. I was running 2x per week at about 3/4 race distance pretty consistently. After Cancun (2 weeks before race0, I started some 30 minute rides on the spinner on the day before and after my long rund. BAD IDEA. It was too much all of the sudden...my left kneecap and hip started hurting subtley. I ended up doing no running or biking the week and a half before the race. Would rather go into it healed and slow than hurting and slower.

NITE OF THE RACE

Big pasta dinner that one shouldn't have the nite before the race at the BT house courtesy of rkrueser and milaminute - yum. Several beers were consumed too. We all actually got to bed in a reasonable amount of time.

Got up around 5:30, had coffee and a slice of bread with peanut butter, sipped some water on the way to the race. That's it until I started hydrating on the bike.
Event warmup:

No warmup. I'm not a huge fan of pre-race warmups...especially the swim. I just want to get in and get it done.
Swim
  • 32m 46s
  • 1584 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim went well. This is a swim I was actually looking forward to since my open water swims in Cancun in some incredibly rough water. Over the past year I have gone from a 2/2 breather to a 4/4-4/5 breather. This has helped me incredibly in my open water swims - staying calm, not hyperventilating.
What would you do differently?:

Not much given my lazy approach to swim training. I have only been doing 200's or 400's at the pool with no regard for speed. It's simple and the way I like it right now.

Before the race I was talking to dalessit and leegocrap. I actually ended up putting my wetsuit on backwards.
Transition 1
  • 07m 46s
Comments:

Slow. I think I was the only one in transition calling my wife and mom to wish them a happy Mothers Day and to tell my wife that I did now drown.
Bike
  • 1h 52m 3s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 13.31 mile/hr
Comments:

Started out a little chilly on the bike but it warmed up nice. One good thing is that it never got 'sweaty hot' on the course. Just nice, cool weather.

My hip didn't bother me too much which was a main concern especially due to the extreme hilliness of the course.

I actually did far better than I thought on these hills considering my lack of bike training. My legs didn't burn at all. I kept it slow on the downhill as I don't get off on breakneck speeds.

My hydration/fuel was perfect. I just had one bottle of Gatorade endurance that I drank a quarter of it every 5-6 miles - never felt tired which I fully expected from little bike training.

Probably just train more. I wanted to get a solid month of 30 minutes trainer rides before the race - that would have helped.
Transition 2
  • 04m 8s
Comments:

The Bear had to remind me to put on my number. I have about 3 race belts but couldn't find any of them before I left...so I had to pin the number on.
Run
  • 1h 10m 31s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

It was a tough run for me. Humbling too. In the past I have never walk any of the run in a race except for the aid stations.

Wish I would have at least continued with some running the week and a half before the race - that would have helped a lot as I walked about 2 miles. I just didn't have the durability and felt it in my knees.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked and got food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of consistent bike and run training this year - especially taking a week and a half off before the race to see if some achyness in my hip/knee would go away.

Event comments:

If the race served hamburgers instead of deli-sandwhiches, it would have gotten a 5.

It was great meeting all of the BT'ers at the expo. It's soo cool putting faces to usernames.

Full race evaluation:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Last updated: 2010-03-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:46 | 1584 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 38/49
Overall: 233/480
Performance: Good
Suit: Fit 2 Race Sockeye Full
Course: River. Up and back.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:46
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:52:03 | 24.85 miles | 13.31 mile/hr
Age Group: 41/49
Overall: 240/480
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Up, down and around. Repeat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:10:31 | 06.21 miles | 11m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 41/49
Overall: 240/480
Performance:
Course: Not a bad course. Lot's of pavement.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-16 10:49 AM

User image

Champion
Subject: Revolution 3 Olympic Distance Triathlon

2010-05-16 2:10 PM
in reply to: #2861475

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Revolution 3 Olympic Distance Triathlon
Congrats on finishing the race given the training chaos. 

Hope your mom and wife appreciated the T1 phone calls. 
2010-05-17 7:00 AM

User image

Pro
MA
Nice job Ron! Great swim. 
I like your T1, calling wife and mom.  That's the spririt! 
I also have 3 racebelts.  For the race I did in HK, I brought everything I Need but left all my racebelts in Boston!  So I had to pin my number on my tri top. 
Sounds like you're developing ITB issue (knee and hip).  Don't over-do it.
2010-05-17 10:15 AM
in reply to: #2862548

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Congrats on a great race!  It was a fun weekend and a wonderful venue.  I am sure the women in your life appreciated the phone call, though that might be a first  

2010-05-17 10:31 AM

User image

Master
Savannah,

Good job, Ron! Not drowning is always good.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Revolution 3 Olympic Distance Triathlon Rss Feed