The Columbia Triathlon Association Inc.
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 25m 3s
Overall Rank = 96/1533
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/143
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3AM. Ate some breakfast. Headed down in the pouring rain at 4AM getting to transition early (keeping tradition alive). Very depressed with all of the rain pouring down. Only positive was it kept my nerves down because I wasn't sure what to expect of the race.
Event warmup:

Kept hydrated with water prior to the swim start and then took a shot of PowerBar gel 15 minutes before the start.
Swim
  • 22m 24s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started out strong the first few hundred yards. Then drafted until the turnaround. Had some nice energy coming down the home stretch.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I improved over a minute from last year so I'm very pleased.
Transition 1
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

I was very happy to get to transition knowing I was in the front pack. This was the first time I had my shoes already clipped in and everything was flawless. However I may practice jumping on the bike. I kind of stalled for a quick second to get my foot and then take off, but it was still very effective.

Practice jumping on the bike out of transition.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 5s
  • 25.48 miles
  • 20.64 mile/hr
Comments:

From having crashed before at E-Man, I wasn't looking forward to this bike even though I know my fitness on the bike has improved a bit from last year. I did not hit the aero position until coming on the home stretch on Rt 108 (the last couple of miles). The entire ride and especially on all downhills I was so nervous to get down in the aero and was on the brakes. I lost a considerable amount of time and it kind of is frustrating to know I could have significantly improved from last year's bike split but just wasn't comfortable risking it 3 weeks prior to Eagleman. Especially on a very hilly and in some spots very technical course. So with respect to staying upright the whole ride I still managed a decent split and came out of it ready to run.

Under the wet conditions, nothing different. I'll always be a cautious rider in these conditions unless the course is pancake flat such as it is at E-Man. I'd feel more comfortable pushing the pace there versus a course such as Columbia.
Transition 2
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

Lost track of where I was and couldn't find my bike rack. Took me a few seconds but eventually found it. I decided to wear socks so that took some extra time too. Running with bike was average, but that was because the conditions were muddy and wet in transition.

Nothing really. Just a mishap on my end for not knowing where my bike rack was. Unfortunate error but it happens.
Run
  • 45m 1s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

PR'd on this course today. Felt really solid. Hills didn't feel as rough. Mile 3 always takes a toll which has the most hills on any given mile (7:37 for that mile). I felt strong on the finish after Gatorade Wall and pushed the last mile to 7:02. It was so nice to feel strong at the end of the run. Perfect practice for E-Man!!!

Not a thing. PR'd so just keep on improving year after year!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked back to transition, cleaned up the filthy mess of equipment, went back to car and had some Ultragen, and then watched J and Geoff grab some much deserving awards!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wet and rainy bike course. I'll be back next year. And it will probably rain again!

Event comments:

Achieved my goal that I set back in January of a Top 10 finish! In these conditions it makes it even sweeter considering I held back on the bike soooooo much. Great to get the 1st race of the year in! Very excited for Eagleman and the rest of the year!

Last updated: 2009-08-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:24 | 1640 yards | 01m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/143
Overall: 0/1533
Performance: Good
Suit: Synergy Adrenaline
Course: Counter clockwise rectangular course.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:53
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:14:05 | 25.48 miles | 20.64 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/143
Performance: Below average
No Garmin today.
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling including four moderate climbs.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:42
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:45:01 | 06.21 miles | 07m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/143
No Garmin today. But did split the miles on my watch: 7:27 7:10 7:36 (nasty hills) 7:17 7:09 7:02
Course: Rolling with four moderately steep climbs.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-24 10:04 AM

Regular
Maryland
Subject: Columbia Triathlon

2010-05-24 10:15 AM
in reply to: #2877919

Pro
yep,
Subject: RE: Columbia Triathlon
Nice job PR'ing.
2010-05-24 1:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alexandria, VA
Congrats on the top 10. Nice bike split as well, considering the conditions. It was scary in spots.
2010-05-24 2:10 PM

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
Nice job!  9th in our AG is not bad at all. 
2010-05-25 11:49 AM
in reply to: #2878690

User image

Great job, especially on the bike for being "conservative" and staying upright for almost the entire time. I had the same thoughts as you re: Eagleman (also my next race)- didn't want to get hurt this close to that race and also thought I'd rather have a wet course there than at Columbia! Good luck with the last few weeks of Eagleman training- let's hope for better weather (although I'd take those temps and overcast!) there!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Columbia Triathlon Rss Feed