Genesis Adventures
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 05m 20s
Overall Rank = 68/103
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 15/19
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4 AM, ate some oatmeal and drank some black coffee. Wisely I packed the van the night before. Drove up to Harriman but first sat in construction traffic at the George Washington Bridge. Even at 6 AM on a Saturday morning there is traffic in New York.
Event warmup:

Swam about 200 to 300 meters in the Lake, which was 56 degrees and felt awesome.
Swim
  • 45m
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

They sent all 100+ of us into Lake Welch as one wave; originally it was supposed to be two waves. No biggie. We were casually just sauntering into the water toward the start buoy, and then we heard the horn! I did a few dolphin dives and was quickly in a fast but comfortable rythym. I sighted very well for both loops. Had good form and consistentlyt strong pull from start to finish. Zero body contact. I drafted a few short times and felt people occasionally tickling my feet. It's amazing how much less energy you use drafting, I really need to work on my drafting.

I came out of the water and was shocked to see 40+ minutes on the time clock. The swim time included a run up the beach and through the front parking lot to transition. The general consensus was that the swim was very long, around 1.5 miles. The two fastest times were 33 mins, and half the top 10 finishers were 40 mins plus. My guess is my real pace was somewhere around 1:55. I'm eager to see what my time is at REV3 in 2 weeks (which is also in a calm lake, and I have a feeling the Rev3 swim will be spot-on accurate). It's frustrating to spend so much time in the pool working your butt off, have what you know is one of your best HIM swims ever, and then quickly realize it's by far the most inaccurately measured swim you've ever done.
What would you do differently?:

Draft more.
Transition 1
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

18th fastest transition overall.
Bike
  • 3h 49m 14s
  • 63 miles
  • 16.49 mile/hr
Comments:

This is a beast of a course. They had to close one of the descent parts of this course which made it a three time 21-mile out & back. The descent used to give you a nice break before a grueling 2-mile climb, but now we had a super-short screaming descent and then a 180-degree turn and immediately climb back up it. All things being fair, we only had to do the grueling climb three times instead of the normal 4, but all the climbing back to it made it basically the same elevation gain as previous years.

I took the first loop Super-EZ, I coasted all the downhills by tucking super-aero and clenching my knees around the top bar. About midway through the first loop my sciatica started acting up. Since I upped my bike mileage this year, I've been experiencing some wicked pain in my lower left back. On training rides when I take pee breaks, after standing for just a few minutes it disappears entirely and stays gone for a good 30 to 45 minutes. In a Race situation however there are no breaks, and I feared this would happen. I was hoping my taper would resolve the issue, or perhaps Race Day adrenaline would overcome the pain. It didn't.

I finished the first loop in 1:12 and the second loop in 1:14. My sciatica felt like a dreadful, fist-sized toothache in my lower left back and I just hung on for the 3rd loop and was in total survival mode. Many of the roads were mottled with huge frost gaps, and the bumpy conditions did not help matters.

I started with one Gatorade Endurance, followed by 1/2 a perp bottle, 1 water bottle with GU gel, & then another Gatorade. I think this nutrition was spot on for the length of time I was on the Bike. It wasn't too much, but as I found out during the Run, may actually have been too little.

I need to ride more hills. If I do this race again next year (which I probably will) I need to try and get up to Harriman three of four times for a nice long training day.

I have a bike fit appt tomorrow to address my lower back issue.

I'm very glad I went with a 12-27 cassette for this course.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

16th Overall. Took my feet out of my shoes and did a perfect flying dismount. I was so happy to be off the bike because my sciatica instantly disappeared.
Run
  • 2h 28m 10s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I can't express how beyond-frustrating it is to Run such a terrible 13.1 miles when Running is my best discipline. Two months ago I ran a 1:31 half marathon. Last month, on very sore banged-up legs, I ran a 1:34 half marathon. I train consistently. I went as easy as I could on the Bike (coasting all the downhills, using my easiest gear on all the grueling climbs, and my sciatica keeping me in all easy gears on the flat). I was hoping to have a really good run and 'run my way up in the standings' as I knew I was around 50th OA at that point. My first few miles were around 8:30-ish, I started getting my legs beneath me and then BOOM!! I felt like crap. Just an overwhelming feeling of nauseau came over me. (A feeling I know all too well during the HIM Run leg.) The muscles in my leg felt strong but the day just took it's toll on me, as well as the hills.

The Run course was also altered due to the Bike Course change. Some athletes remarked before the race that it would be easier, and by the end of the day everyone realized it was the same or perhaps harder. Aside from the 1/4 mile run in and out of transition throught the parking lot, the entire Run course was either UP or DOWN. There was very little flat.

I finished the first loop in 59 minutes without stopping and figured to myself, "Okay, I'm having a Bad Day. The hills are smacking me around somthing good, let's just put together a 2 hour half marathon and be happy with a 6:3X OA time." But after I finished the second loop I was done.

Harryman Course: 2 ... Dream Chaser: 0

I threw in the towel. I walked. I contemplated quitting this silly dumb sport. My new friend Derrick (sevenride) -- who'd raced the AmZof Long Course a week prior, who passed me on the 3rd loop of the bike and was just 10 mins ahead of me the whole 1st loop -- was no longer enough of a Rabbit to motivate me to chase. Racer after racer passed me as I did the death march up and down the hills. I stopped off at both aid stations and hung out, chatting, eating cookies, banana's, sipping gatorade like I was on a lunch hour at work just trying to pass the time.

My friend Rick from the Sunrise Tri Team (who Raced the Olympic earlier) was nice enough to shuffle with me for 3 miles of the second loop. He was also kind enough to call my wife and let her know I was having a rough day of it and that I would be calling her later than expected.

I went to a dark place during this Run. I didn't like it. I don't want to go back there. I got through it. If something similar occurs during Lake Placid I'll know how to handle it, perhaps.

I think for one, again, I was ill-prepared for the hills. I was also starving for a lot of this run. I'm thinking perhaps for Bike Rides over 60-miles with a long Run afterwards, I need to get some solid food in me on the Bike. I ate breakfast at 4 AM and then at 2:30 (halfway through the run, and 10.5 hours since I last ate something solid) all I could think about was food.

The more I think about it, between the long-ish swim, long Bike, (for once) I didn't have enough nutrition.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around gathering my stuff feeling like death warmed over.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Gross lack of Hill Training. Sciatica on the Bike. Perhaps some under-nutrition going into the Run. Inability to HTFU on the second loop of the Run.

Event comments:

This is a grueling course. With the Bike and Run it is close to 9,000 feet of combined climbing. The roads are brutal, there were maybe 20 people cheering us on in one single section, the course is open to traffic, it's a very No Frills - low budget event; And that's why I like it. This course is hard, makes no apologies for it, and it makes you a stronger better triathlete for it. I did this Race because I needed a Reality Check. I needed the ass whooping. This is not a flat Sprint on smooth closed roads; there is no one cheering you on - you have to motivate yourself. It's a long hard day and it's well-earned MONEY IN THE BACK for me toward Lake Placid.

Last updated: 2009-11-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:00 | 1931 meters | 02m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 42/103
Performance: Good
Suit: Quintana Roo Hydrofull
Course: Beach Start with a two Loop Triangle.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 56F / 13C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:43
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:49:14 | 63 miles | 16.49 mile/hr
Overall: 56/103
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:28:10 | 13.1 miles | 11m 19s  min/mile
Overall: 91/103
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-05-25 8:22 AM

User image

Subject: Harryman Triathlon

2010-05-25 8:39 AM
in reply to: #2880182

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Harryman Triathlon

Hey, you gutted it out on a very tough course!  Nice work!  Hopefully that work will pay off at LP in a couple months,

And I don't know how many cals are in a 1/2 bottle of perp, but that does seem very light on nutrition for almost 4 hours on the bike.  Whether solids, gels or drinks, it may be that you could have used a bit more on that ride.  Figure out what you took in per hour and see if that lines up with your expectations from training.

2010-05-25 10:15 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Nice job out there! This race was just part of the bigger picture so keep it in perspective and dont be too hard on yourself!

Thats another impressive HIM in the bank!

Hmm...I have some thoughts about your nutrition...will PM ya

2010-05-25 10:49 AM

User image

Master
White Plains NY
Nice job man! That course was CRAZY hard. I had no idea that the run course was that much up and down and those last few ups on the way back really did a number on me. I felt bad for you guys doing that bike course 3x's and the run 2x's. You are right, that race is money in the bank for you. I'll be working the men's transition tent in the morning @ LP...hope to see you there!
2010-05-25 12:13 PM

Extreme Veteran
Vermont

You did not take in enough nutrition on the bike.  Live and learn from this race, and be glad that you did not take my advice and go with the 12 - 25.  Now for LP, I would just go with a 12 - 23, but that is just me talking.  Seriously, shake it off and move on.

2010-05-25 2:16 PM
in reply to: #2880879

User image

gatjr33 - 2010-05-25 1:13 PM

You did not take in enough nutrition on the bike.  Live and learn from this race, and be glad that you did not take my advice and go with the 12 - 25.  Now for LP, I would just go with a 12 - 23, but that is just me talking.  Seriously, shake it off and move on.

You're right George and Sally.  JK had me look at my calorie intake.  It avg'd around 170 cal per hour ... when I probably should be about 250 cal.  I never raced an uber-Hilly 63 miles before!! Live and learn!! 

2010-05-25 3:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
Way to soldier on through this very, very tough course. It will pay dividends in 2 months. Mentally you are there as you never gave up the fight. LP will be much better and much more fun, not a death march. Keep up the good fight and get back on the horse this week. Good luck with the next 2 months of training! See you in LP!
2010-05-25 3:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
And looking at everyone's times, that swim had to be way long.
2010-05-26 9:36 AM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Way to fight through and finish this race! Congrats!

Maybe going through the dark place will be the best thing that could happen to you pre-LP because you know you'll make sure that doesn't happen again, whether that means different nutrition, more hill training, etc. Keep fighting Bobby!
2010-05-26 2:18 PM

User image

Veteran
I can only echo the other sentiments here, congratulations on the mental strength you showed just getting through this race. That's a huge effort under the circumstances taking your back injury into account.

I did the Olympic version of this race 2 years ago and of the 14 races I've done it still stands out as the hardest. The water was frigid, the bike was super hilly and the run was tough and hilly and I was totally spent after it. 

A friend of mine, a very strong multi LP (~10 hr finisher) who did the HIM that day said the swim was the closest he came to quitting a race. I remember completing the second loop of the bike and thinking about the folks doing the HIM that day doing 4 loops with 4 of those hill repeats and just shaking my head in disbelief. Absolutely brutal, and the way the course changed for your race seems to have made it even more challenging.

If I had to do double the distance on that day, which you just did, I'm not sure I'd have completed it.

Way to hang in there, it's apparent from your report that you suffered a lot, but you got it done, I'm optimistic for you that this experience will stand to you for LP. Best of luck to you!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Harryman Triathlon Rss Feed