HRCA
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 47s
Overall Rank = 35/269
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/21
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:00 am and had a Clif bar and banana. Arrived at the race at about 6:05 am and set up my transition. Ended up getting an end spot. Walked to the pool and wasn't sure how they were setting things up as there were no lane assignments this year. Sorted myself into order based on bib number and immediately was called up to get timing chip and head to a lane. We sorted out our swim times and seeded ourselves accordingly.
Event warmup:

Nothing. Barely got to swing my arms around and get in the pool before it was time to go.
Swim
  • 11m 49s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started out second in the wave. I quickly caught the first swimmer after the first lap. My plan was to swim sets of 75 free/25 breast but I ended up swimming the first 150 free to build a lead before I had to switch to breast. Around 250 or so I was passed by the guy who started third and I kept him within half a length.
Here's where the bullshit started. As we get to what feels like 500 yards, I hit the turn and look to the other end where the first place guy is getting out of the water. That means I should be getting out too, right? But I didn't get the notice to do so and as I looked at the lane counter, she was yelling at an official about what I think is the guy getting out of the water. So maybe he got out too soon.
So I head back down, do ANOTHER lap in which I get the last length signal, and jump out of the pool. Much too my surprise, as I look back into the pool, there is no one else in my lane! Not only was I in second place for the swim, but the 3rd and 4th place women were a full 3/4 of a lap behind me and yet were out of the pool before me.
So did I swim an extra 50 or was I the ONLY one of four to swim an actual 500? When I got out of the water I looked at my watch and it said 11:02. Based on a recent time trial and the fact that I only swam about 75 yard breast stroke, my time should have been in the low 10:00s. So I think I swam an extra 50.
What would you do differently?:

I don't know. I know they're volunteers and believe me I'm thankful but is it that hard to keep track of ten laps?
I have a hard time keeping my own count so maybe I need to work on that.
Transition 1
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

Needless to say I was pissed off here and not concentrating well. I still got out well ahead of the two women who got out of the pool a minute ahead of me.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 40m 8s
  • 12.6 miles
  • 18.84 mile/hr
Comments:

Without a doubt, this is the one place where I have a lot of time to gain so I really tried to push the bike more this year.
I tried to push the hills more, keep my cadence high, and really get as much out of the downhills that I could. I was passed only once and tried to keep him close.

Two minutes faster than two years ago! Finally progress on this tough bike course!
Transition 2
  • 00m 35s
Comments:

Great transition here.

2nd fastest T2 of the day and four seconds faster than last year.
Run
  • 20m 26s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs felt great and my cadence was good. Slowed down a little after the first mile but then pushed the last mile in. No stomach issues, no cramps, felt strong!

6th fastest run of the day and a 14 second PR for this course.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and stretched a little.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lap counter.

So I think my actual time would have been about one minute less per having to swim an extra 50. Still wouldn't have had me in the age group awards but would have bumped me up about five spots overall.

Very very happy with this race! It's been nearly two years since my last triathlon and I took a good 5 weeks off back in February to deal with my Achilles issue. I had no idea how this tri would turn out and was shocked to knock about three minutes off my previous course PR. I'm always amazed at how my run comes back. My bike improvement is partly mental and partly riding with my friend Tom, who pushes me on the bike for sure.

Event comments:

A good race all in all. Sucks about the swim. Tom had the same problem last year and had to swim an extra 50.

Last updated: 2010-05-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:49 | 500 yards | 02m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/21
Overall: 0/269
Performance: Good
Swim time was 11:02.
Suit: Tri shorts with tri top
Course: Indoor pool swim with four swimmers per lane, circle swim.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:51
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:08 | 12.6 miles | 18.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/21
Overall: 54/269
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: 6.3 mile loop x2. First three miles is pretty much all uphill and then downhill for the remaining three. No wind for once!
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 84
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:35
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:26 | 03.1 miles | 06m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/21
Overall: 6/269
Performance: Average
Mile 1 (6:35), Mile 2 (6:43)
Course: Out and back with easy rollers.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-06 12:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: HRCA Tune Up Sprint Triathalon

2010-06-06 4:45 PM
in reply to: #2903475

User image

Master
Highlands Ranch
Subject: RE: HRCA Tune Up Sprint Triathalon
Nice race, too bad about the swim...my friend Keri had the same issue.  You crushed the run, dude!
2010-06-06 5:27 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Way to go!
Congrats!
I would have been upset abut the swim also.
2010-06-07 8:59 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO

Great race!  Yes that sucks but hey, you were still faster than last year.  That is a solid pace on the run!

2010-06-07 9:41 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Nice race and fast run!  Bummer about the swim but one of those things that get messed up in pool swims sometimes.  Not much you can do about that but I would have been pizzed.  You still had a good race!
2010-06-08 12:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Parker, CO
Congrats on a great race! Sorry to hear about the extra lap on the swim.  I've done that myself.  Looks like you had a great bike and a really fast run though.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » HRCA Tune Up Sprint Triathalon Rss Feed