United States
Revolution 3
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 24m 43s
Overall Rank = 276/381
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 42/52
Pre-race routine:

My wife and I got to the venue the day before for packet pick-up, bike check-in and to drive the course. I'm glad we did because the bike course seemed A LOT hillier than the course profile suggested. I started to revise my estimated finishing time in my head. We went to a local pizza place for dinner and I had half a plate of meat ravioli and a bottle of water. Back to the hotel and lights out at 9:30pm as my wife watched TV. Race day I woke up feeling fresh around 4am (I had been half awake since 2:30) and had a little cereal, a PB&J sandwich and some G2 mixed with water. My nerves were feeling pretty good at this point so I didn't want too much in my stomach. Packed up and headed over to the venue. To stay calm I kept telling myself this was just going to be a long training day. The weather forecast was scattered showers and it was raining lightly when we left the hotel.

We got to the venue around 5:15am and I started setting up my transition area. It was a bit of a tight squeeze but I managed to put out everything I needed. It was a challenge trying to keep things dry, because as predicted the rain was falling off and on. Chatted with the guy next to me which was a nice ice breaker. Took one Gu gel half an hour before the start. Before I knew it they were counting down to close the transition area so I put on my wetsuit and we walked down to the beach.
Event warmup:

Really no warm-up to speak of. Between setting up my stuff, talking to my wife, going to the bathroom and taking a look at the lake I didn't have time. I was feeling very relaxed, my stomach was quiet, so I was happy. I figure the swim will be my warm-up. I thought about some tips my wife's cousin told me (she's a tri coach).
Swim
  • 35m
  • 1728 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

Water temp was great, nice and cool. Overall I had a very good swim. I beat my best time in the pool by 10 min. I never felt like I was cruising along, but just comfortable. I concentrated on getting good breaths and just looked for the next buoy. I never thought beyond the next buoy. I felt like I was swimming alone for most of the way and when the next wave passed me I kept my cool. At one point I saw a guy in a kayak pointing for me to turn the other way. I tried to sight better in the 2nd half of the leg.
What would you do differently?:

Try to sight better. Bump up the intensity of my training.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

No problems. Took my time and made sure I had everything I needed.

Try to do it faster
Bike
  • 1h 40m
  • 24.8 miles
  • 14.88 mile/hr
Comments:

I think I handled the hills pretty well, but it was challenging. There were a few good flats and down hills. Checked the speedometer once and it said 38mph. Ignored people passing me and rode my own race. Passed a lot of people on the hills who then passed me back on the flats. The course was very pretty and I was able to enjoy it even while suffering. Had a gel at the one hour mark of the race and another at the 20 mile mark on the bike.

Nothing really, just keep training.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Same as T1.

Try to do it faster
Run
  • 1h 04m
  • 6.2 miles
  • 10m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out pretty well just getting my legs under me. I felt a little low back pain and a little side cramp but after a while it went away. Tried to keep a slow steady pace because I knew there were some big hills coming. I never walked, I just kept trotting up the hills. I passed people who were walking up the hills who then passed me on the flats so maybe that might have been a better strategy to conserve energy. After mile 3 I don't remember seeing a mile marker but I may have missed it as I was really tired. Those last miles were a slog which seemed to go on and on. At one point I saw a crowd which I hoped meant I was nearing the finish but it turned out to be the last aid station. I threw a cup of water over my head at every station and drank too.

Add more distance to my training and mix it up.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water and grapes right at the finish and walked around for a few minutes with my wife. I was feeling completely exhausted and didn't really know what to do with myself. We went to get something to eat and I was very happy with the variety and amount of food offered. They had hot dogs, hamburgers, mac & cheese, pasta, corn salad, veggies, bananas, muscle milk, fountain drinks and a couple other things I can't remember. I then did some stretching and got a 15 minute massage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

With additional and more intense training I think I'd improve my time. I'm in the middle of a 16 week Oly plan for the NYC triathlon on July 18 and I did this race to get experience at this level.

Event comments:

Would definitely come back next year.

Last updated: 2010-06-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:00 | 1728 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/52
Overall: 0/381
Performance: Good
Suit: Full suit
Course: Clockwise triangle in a lake
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:40:00 | 24.8 miles | 14.88 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: Scenic farmland and affluent suburbs. Lots of hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:04:00 | 06.2 miles | 10m 19s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Run through a residential neighborhoods and some country roads.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-06 4:42 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Revolution3 - Olympic

2010-06-06 5:25 PM
in reply to: #2903753

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Subject: RE: Revolution3 - Olympic
well done.. that race does have some hills..
2010-06-06 9:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Orange
Great work and a great warmup for NYC Tri.
2010-06-06 9:42 PM

User image

Regular
Buckeye
Great job!!!

I thought the bike course was tough until I hit the hills on the run.  Broke down and walked.

I'll post my report soon.
2010-06-06 10:02 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
NYC's going to feel like a nice little Sunday spin around the neighborhood after that monster. Well done!
2010-06-08 10:43 AM

User image

Regular
Thanks everyone! I had a great time.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Revolution3 - Olympic Rss Feed