General Discussion Race Reports! » Milton Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Milton Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Milton, Ontario
Canada
Trisport Canada
13C / 55F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 13m 33s
Overall Rank = 390/488
Age Group = W40-44
Age Group Rank = 10/14
Pre-race routine:

Had a smoothie, coffee, packed the car and drove to Milton in the pouring rain.
Event warmup:

Got into my wetsuit early to warm up. Chatted with all the speedy women in my group. Just tried to stay warm and as dry as possible.
Swim
  • 18m 48s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 31s / 100 meters
Comments:

Had my usual 100 meter panic attack and existential crisis, i.e., "What am I doing here? Why am I doing this?" Once I got over myself, I tried to remember all the great stuff I learned over the winter from the coach, and tried to catch water and reach and roll. Although not fast, it's the fastest I've ever been able to swim in open water. Hoping to see more improvement as I get more OWS in this summer.
What would you do differently?:

Not panic.
Transition 1
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

Umm...really have to get better at this. In my defence, I had a bunch of stuff in plastic bags to keep it dry, so that meant some digging. Still...spent some time making sure everything was done...perhaps a little too much time.

Speed up...duh...
Bike
  • 1h 10m 42s
  • 30 kms
  • 25.46 km/hr
Comments:

Absolutely the worst bike split ever. Hmmm...where do I begin? The hills were nasty and I actually had to walk a bit just before the crest of the 6th line hill - I've never done this in my life before. I just didn't have the legs for this race. Then my brand new double water bottle holder collapsed and I was so afraid that the one water bottle that was in there would fall out and take someone out, that I had to stop and drop my other water bottle and put the new one that I just bought on to the down post holder. Then the bloody water bottle holder rattled the whole way, and because of the way the wind was blowing or something, it sounded like the noise was coming from my front wheel. I stopped a couple of times to ensure that I didn't have a flat or that my wheel wasn't coming off. So irritating. I will talk to my little bike shop folk...they forgot my valve covers and didn't tighten this thing well enough when they installed it...argh...

Check that my bottle holder is secure. I guess train more on big hills on my road bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

Fine...tore my race number as I was leaving T2 - had to tuck half under my race belt...irritating.
Run
  • 39m 34s
  • 7.5 kms
  • 05m 17s  min/km
Comments:

Great run, actually. Felt so comfortable. Found an awesome pace bunny and just annoyed the hell out of him by following him for about the last three km. Thanks, pace bunny, whoever you are!

Maybe not attack that downhill quite so agressively. I've done something nasty to my knee, and I think that might have been the old straw.
Post race
Warm down:

Cleaned up transition. Walked to the food with a very nice woman from my AG and we chatted. Best part of the race, really. Got some food - but the pig on the spit kind of made me lose my appetite. ick. Hard to find food at races that is wheat free, but that's to be expected, of course. Ate a Lara bar in the car and an apple.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stupid water bottle holder. Not enough hill training on bike. Bad attitude.

Event comments:

This is a good race - the Subaru people do a great job of organizing things, and the course is really challenging. They couldn't help the weather which really put a literal damper on things. I think I needed to be more prepared for the climbs - I thought I liked climbing hills...I guess not so much. I'm pretty disappointed with my bike on this, actually, but stoked about my run split. Maybe I should just stick to running...

Last updated: 2010-02-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:48 | 750 meters | 02m 31s / 100meters
Age Group: 11/14
Overall: 394/488
Performance: Average
Suit: Blue Seventy Synergie full
Course: Triangular course - lots of room, but the water was murky.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 22C / 72F Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:37
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:10:42 | 30 kms | 25.46 km/hr
Age Group: 13/14
Overall: 433/488
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Hilly
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Below average
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:54
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:39:34 | 07.5 kms | 05m 17s  min/km
Age Group: 4/14
Overall: 261/488
Performance: Good
Course: Up hill out, down hill back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-07 10:42 AM

User image

Regular
Toronto
Subject: Milton Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2010-06-07 10:50 AM
in reply to: #2905129

Veteran
South Shore, MA.
Subject: RE: Milton Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Pace Bunny.....I pulled you IN....next time I'll throw you a rope Smile
2010-06-07 10:58 AM
in reply to: #2905157

User image

Regular
Toronto

Was that you in the blue with the annoying girl wheezing behind you? Although, I think it was a fellow named Barry...not Scott...perhaps you pulled some other grateful soul in?

Edited by ptri 2010-06-07 11:04 AM
2010-06-07 1:29 PM

User image

Pro
hey now.  Guys don't like to be called "bunny's"
2010-06-07 1:36 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Way to get 'er done despite the bad weather!! 
2010-06-07 1:41 PM
in reply to: #2905774

User image

Regular
Toronto
"Pace Rabbit?" "Pace Gazelle?" "Pace Cheetah?" "Pace Wombat?" Help me out here, guys!

2010-06-07 7:30 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
First of all, congratulations on finishing your triathlon.  Your run was great.  I too worry about the OWS.  Swimming will definetely be my weak link.  It's still the beginning of the tri season, so hopefully they'll be more opportunities for OWS practice.  Your very strong in the pool, you'll for sure be strong in the OW!!  
2010-06-08 5:52 AM
in reply to: #2906835

User image

Regular
Toronto
Thanks, Claire! Yeah...maybe if the water were clearer and I could see better, I wouldn't panic. I'm going to get some OWS in over the next few weeks and see if I can quell the fear a bit...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Milton Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed