General Discussion Race Reports! » PlayTri Festival Triathlon - Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

PlayTri Festival Triathlon - Olympic Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Irving, Texas
United States
PlayTri
Total Time = 2h 36m 50s
Overall Rank = 83/249
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 15/37
Pre-race routine:

Got there early, setup transition and figured out where I needed to go from swim->bike & bike->run.
Event warmup:

Nothing
Swim
  • 23m 20s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started at the front towards the outside.
Quickly noticed that I had a small leak in the left goggle. I had my Garmin under the swim cap with the goggle straps holding it as well. This probably pulled the goggles a bit causing a leak @ my nose bridge. It didn't completely fill up and didn't really bother me during the swim.

After the first turn, I found some feet a little faster than me to hang on. Thanks to the 5-per lane swimming with the tri-club, I can actually feel the draft so I was able to hold on pretty well. After about 30 seconds, I ran right into him. He had stopped, popped his head up for a second, and then started again. I had gotten past him, but he came around again. I drafted again as he was no doubt faster than me. Then, he went a bit off course and popped up again. From then on, I swam alone.
What would you do differently?:

Start more in the middle of the front row to possible get a good draft.
Transition 1
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Decent transition. I wasn't really in a hurry and had to pull the Garmin out the zip-lock and onto my wrist. I'm still putting my shoes on here rather than leaving them on the bike.

Not much
Bike
  • 1h 07m 9s
  • 24 miles
  • 21.44 mile/hr
Comments:

A bit clogged up at the bike start, but after a few turns, it was straight and there was plenty of room. I felt real good and was holding speed very well. I knew within a few miles I was going to have a good day on the bike. I did a good job not just settling in behind someone as I tend to do and only a handful of people passed me. For the second loop, it was a bit crowded at spots and I held back quite a bit with the congestion & turns, but I still managed to negative split the two laps.

Nothing. I'm very happy with this ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Again, not bad. I did go sockless, but didn't have any elastic laces. I managed pretty good to get my feet in the shoes without un-tying them, but not as quick as it would have been with elastic laces.
Run
  • 1h 03m 59s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

A little over two months ago, I sprained my ankle pretty bad. Since then, I've not run too much, so I had planned on taking it a bit easy with a soft goal of a 9 min/mi pace. Right from the start, I had settled in at a 8:30-8:40 pace that felt a bit slow. I figured I could hold this and end up with a decent run split. The ankle was feeling great, not protesting one bit.

I hit the aid station and walked it to make sure not to just waste the water and I noticed my quads were a bit tight. This would be the theme of the run. By mile 2, I could feel it running and slowed the pace a bit. This seemed to help and I was handling it ok through the 5k. I really wanted to be done and I got a nice cheer from Karen (KSH) as I entered the second loop which helped for a bit. At the water stop, I walked it again and by now the tightness is turning into muscle cramps. I've never had this before, so I did a bit of walk/run to see if it helped. Walking seemed to get them to spasm worse, so I decided to keep a slow jog. This didn't last too long as with about 1/2 mi left, my left quad completely locked up. I went down into a squat to stretch the quads and just sat there for about 2 minutes. Everyone was asking if I was OK and a volunteer came by with a cold water bottle and sprayed me down a bit. I finally got back up and walked about 1/10 of a mile and it kind of released a bit. I went back to the slow jog which is what I finished with.

I squatted over a bit as the volunteer pulled my chip and then stumbled a bit with my bent-knee walk. I guess I looked pretty bad as I was pointed out where the med tent was :)

Post race
Warm down:

Stretch out a bit and pound down the water/bananas/oranges/whatever and hang out a bit with my family, friends, & some tri-club teammates.

Last updated: 2010-03-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:20 | 1640 yards | 01m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/37
Overall: 20/249
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Wonky triangle in a small lake in a business park
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:13
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:07:09 | 24 miles | 21.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/37
Overall: 33/249
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:03:59 | 06.21 miles | 10m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/37
Overall: 140/249
Performance:
Course: Two loops out and back.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-07 2:40 PM

User image

, Texas
Subject: PlayTri Festival Triathlon - Olympic Triathlon

2010-06-07 2:50 PM
in reply to: #2906049

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: PlayTri Festival Triathlon - Olympic Triathlon

Excellent race.  You should have pretended that the volunteer was spraying you with champagne on the podium.  THAT would be a perfect end to this race.  I know that you're disappointed with the run but I'm still happier than a Cajun at a shrimp boil with your performance. 

Maybe one of these days you can show me the secret to swimming.

2010-06-07 3:37 PM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX

Saw you after and chatted. Still a solid outting with the quad issue. Awesome swim.

2010-06-11 7:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stamford, CT
Awesome job! Very impressive swim and bike splits. As for the run - I've gone slower...it happens...

One question - you said that you were cramping in the run. I don't think that is a matter of not running enough, but rather a poor nutrition plan. What food/drink did you have before and during the race? Also, how hot/humid was it?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » PlayTri Festival Triathlon - Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed