http://www.minnemantri.com/
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 55s
Overall Rank = 50/347
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 9/30
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4AM. Ate a banana, drank ~8oz water, ate some dry Fruit Loops. I had driven from my home (Ames, IA) to Minneapolis on Friday evening, so my car was already packed. I put on my tri jersey (Team Dork Rocket!), tri shorts, and covered up with some warmups. Left the house around 5AM, arrived at the course at 0545. The first wave, which happened to be the one I was in, didn't start until 0730, so I had plenty of time to get set up, check things out, and work on my mental focus.
Event warmup:

Set up my T-area, got marked, went to the bathroom. Checked the entrances and exits of the T-area and did a dry run-through of both transitions -- don't want to go the wrong way come race time.

After that, I grabbed my bike and jogged out to the mount line to practice my running mount. This morning would be the first time in a race that I'd try to leave my shoes clicked to the pedals the whole time -- I've been practicing a lot, but I wanted to get it right (read: no lost shoes, no 0mph tumbles outside the T-area). I got into my shoes w/o too much difficulty, and went out onto the bike course for a light, 10min spin. Practiced my rolling dismount back into the transition area; getting off the bike with shoes still clipped in has always been easier for me than getting on, and it went fine today also. Noted that I had a loooong barefoot run back to my rack for T2.

At 0650, I removed my warmups and got into my wetsuit. Went down to the beach to scope out the water. Was the first one in the water, which I always like. Water very nice and clear, 73F. Very soft, sandy beach and lake bottom. Started walking out into the water to see where I could start swimming...and kept right on walking, almost halfway out to the turnaround buoy! This lake is VERY shallow! Yet another aspect that makes this course great for beginners. I practiced dolphining a bit and swam lightly.

During this period, I mentally focus on the swim part of the race: this was my 4th triathlon, and I think I finally had a solid mental game plan for the swim. I am a slower swimmer and like to stay out of the fray, so I always start in back and to the outside. Since the course was an out and back triangle, with a buoy as the turnaround point, I knew that I could go out a bit wider and have clear water the whole way, without having to go much farther than anyone else. I knew to take the turn wide, again to keep out of the fray and focus on a nice, steady stroke. Start slow and build after the turn, let the rookies go out too strong and start flailing (as I had done in two of my three first tris!). Keep focused on getting plenty of air and keeping my HR down.

Stayed in the water until the pre-race meeting around 0720. Just floated around and relaxed. Came out of the water, listened to the instructions, and lined up with the rest of wave 1: men 20-29.
Swim
  • 09m 7s
  • 587 yards
  • 01m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not to brag, but awesome swim for me! My best yet -- I had a gameplan and I executed it even better than expected! The horn went off and everyone took off. I took my time wading out, at the back and to the side. Performed a couple of dolphin dives and started swimming. With the rest of the athletes on my left, I was surprised to see after a few strokes that many people were still walking! It was very shallow, so more power to them. I kept the pack to my left and focused on remaining calm, keeping my breathing steady and HR down. After a couple of minutes, I realized that I was steadily moving up the side of the pack, picking swimmers off one at a time! This was a huge confidence boost for me, someone who only learned how to swim 18 months ago. I could see some people really struggling as I went around them, and I really felt for them -- I've been in your shoes, buddy. Stick with it, don't give up.

Went around the buoy feeling great. Wasn't setting any records but was definitely holding a PR pace. Just focused on staying focused, sighting, and getting back to shore with a low HR. Kept passing swimmers, started pulling a little harder once I made the turn and realized that 0.33 miles was no longer as far as it used to be for me!

At about 75 yards out from shore, most of the people around me were already up and walking (through about waist-deep water). At this point, I wasn't sure whether to keep swimming, dolphin, or get up and jog. In fact, I did all three, in that order: I kept swimming until I could tell that the people around me were jogging faster than I could swim, then I hopped up, did two quick dives, and started high-stepping it. Nobody around me was in much of a hurry, so I tried to get around a few more people on my way in. Definitely felt that the jog through the long shallows was the most strenous part of the swim, which is a good thing! My swimming is definitely improving, and I came out of the water with a lot of excitement and energy.
What would you do differently?:

I need to think more about what to do in situations with long shallows, especially on the way back in. I should work on my dolphin technique...right now, it's pretty elementary, and not too effective I feel.
Transition 1
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

Ooooh I love T1!!! From my very first tri, I had read all about how important the transitions are, and I've made it a point to really practice those and nail them on race day. I take a lot of pride in beating people in the transitions...it'll take me a year to knock a minute off my 5k time, but just minutes to shave precious seconds off of transition time that are otherwise wasted in "not going forward" activities.

T1 today went just about perfectly. Even though the jog to my bike out of the water was short, I already had my goggles and cap off, and my zipper down, by the time I got to my bike. Suit came off quickly and smoothly (the addition of liberal amounts of SportSlick around the ankles made a big difference!). I had my tri jersey on under my wetsuit -- first time I had worn a jersey, or any kind of shirt for that matter, under my suit, and man does that speed things up. I slapped on my sunglasses and helmet, buckled up, and unracked my bike. Ran barefoot out of the T-area, hopped on my bike once over the mounting line. Got my feet on top of my shoes without trouble and started pedaling. 11th fastest overall T1, WITH a wetsuit! w00t!

Hit it pretty much right on. Should have focused more on getting my feet INTO my shoes more quickly (see below).
Bike
  • 38m 19s
  • 13 miles
  • 20.36 mile/hr
Comments:

Coming out of T1, I zipped up to full speed with my feet on top of my shoes, the product of leaving my shoes clipped onto the pedals. I used to wear MTB shoes with SPD pedals, which were handy for putting on in T1 and running with, but my new shoes (Louis Garneau) and LOOK pedals aren't good for running around in (slip and fall or ruin the cleats).

Once I got going, I had a little more trouble getting my feet INTO my shoes than I would have liked. Got up to speed just fine, but I think I pedaled too long with my feet on top of them first and kind of crushed them down a bit. A small mistake that may have cost me 30 seconds or so. Still, I think leaving the shoes on the pedals makes for a faster T1, and T2. Will practice that more.

The course was VERY nice and VERY fast. About half was new, smooth asphalt. Large shoulders meant for bike riding. The hills were small and didn't present much of a problem. One short rough patch that almost sent me flying, but all in all a good route.

I started off in my small chain ring and rolled along at a high cadence. I threw it into the high chainring when we turned north and had the wind at our backs. Slowly picked off two or three riders and was passed by about five (including two top male winners near the end of the ride, zipping by from the second wave!). Seeing that my avg. time was over 20mph for the first time in a race, I won't complain though.

About 300m out from the dismount line, I got my feet out of and back on top of my shoes. Swung my right leg over the back tire and rolled right up to the line, where I hopped off and started the long run back to my rack.

Get my feet into shoes faster.
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Off the bike, running barefoot across the asphalt parking lot didn't seem too bad. My fast T1 time was balanced by a slightly slower T2, but I'm not complaining, especially since the younger age groupers had farther to go to their racks (we didn't have far to go for T1 though, so in the end everyone still covered the same distance). Got my bike racked w/o problems but had a little trouble with my helmet buckle. Just a one-time thing, cost me less than 5 seconds so no tears here. Got my socks and shoes on without incident and took off to the bike in/run out. HR was up but not excessive. Breathing was heavy and I focused on trying to slow that down a bit.

I'd like to be able to run sprint distance races sans socks...that would save me ~15 seconds I think. Don't have the calluses for that yet though...
Run
  • 20m 38s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Really surprised myself here! Came off the bike feeling pretty good about my day so far, made my way out of T2 at what felt like a pretty good clip. I was breathing pretty heavily though and focused on trying to get that under control. There was a guy right in front of me on the way out that I mentally latched onto for the first few minutes. I hit the split button on my watch so I could time my run splits...I was figuring to run something around 24 minutes. I certainly didn't FEEL like I was running a sub-seven pace, but then again everyone feels wonky coming off the bike. Legs were definitely tired, but I just knew that I could handle 3 miles of it. I just thinking about the marathon (Grandmas) I had just run, and how far that was in comparison. Peanuts! And all of a sudden, mile one was in the books...in under seven minutes! Holy crap! And best of all, although I was hurting, I was nowhere near cashed, as I have been in previous races. Keep going!

Before mile 2, I saw my friend Bert on his way back from the turnaround. We both gave each other some cheers and encouragement. Personally, I was just glad to have seen him on the course at all! He's really fast (ended up in 12th overall), so I knew I was doing ok. That gave me an additional boost and got me to the turnaround. At that point, I was right behind another guy and he could see me coming. I set my sights on him, reeled him in, and went right by with about 3/4 of a mile to go. After a minute, I thought I still heard him on my heels so I picked it up a bit. I NEVER like to look back (I think it is a show of weakness and can embolden an opponent), but when I went around a corner I peeked...and he was nowhere in sight. I had the last stretch all to myself!

Over the course of the run, I had managed to slowly pick off 4 or 5 runners and only get passed by one or two, so I was riding high. The last quarter mile of trail was just PACKED with spectators, and as I was all alone going into the home stretch, they were all cheering for ME! Awesome! I got to ride a great wave of fans all the way to the finish. The annoucer got my number and called "And here he comes, all the way from Ames Iowa...Mike Mullins!" Ok, so it's not quite "YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!" but I'll take it (for now...).

I hadn't bothered to check my watch since mile one, but right before the finish I saw the official race clock ticking away: 1:09:44...1:09:45...oh crap! I can break 1:10! I had been shooting for 1:20, so this just blew my mind and I put the hammer down.

About 20 meters from the finish, I took a quick look behind me. Nobody sprinting up on me (thank goodness)...1:09:50...1:09:51...I'm going to do it! I was feeling so awesome -- my best race yet! -- that when I hit the finish, which was in a nice grassy area, I did a forward roll right over the line. Wheee! Did anyone get a picture of that? God I hope so! Regardless, it got a lot of laughs and cheers from the crowd, and from my friends Bert and Flounder, who were waiting for me at the finish.

More speedwork, more hills, more bricks...I can always get faster on the run!

Also, I need to figure out how to do a cartwheel, as it'd be more impressive than a forward roll...
Post race
Warm down:

Warm-down? I drank some water, poured some on my head, and went in search of post-race cookies! I found them, along with some delicious watermelon.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm still a slow swimmer, but that is definitely improving. My cycling still has a lot of room for improvement, but I feel that I will be able to get much faster, because I really have never ridden that much or that seriously before this year. The run went much better than expected, but I'll keep working on it.

As always, I know that one limiter on my performance is my weight (maybe I should cut down on those post-race cookies, huh?). I've come so far since I first started running four years ago, but I still have an easy 10-15lb of belly that would look much better on Buddha or St. Nick. If I just keep exercising and eating right, it'll happen.

Event comments:

This was easily the best triathlon I've done so far, on all fronts. My personal performance excited me. The course was wonderful, well-planned out, and in an excellent location. The weather was GORGEOUS. This was their first year, but since it was being run by the MN Tri Club, I suspected that it would go off well -- the event exceded all my expectations! Tons of volunteers, great organization, excellent transition area. I suspect this race will get picked up by the TriMinnesota series next year, and for good reason -- they pulled it off perfectly! The race was slow to fill, only maxxing out in the week before the event, but I suspect that this will not be the case next year -- the word will be out!

Especially exciting to me were the number of first-timers at this tri. Before the race started, the announcer asked everyone who was doing a tri for the first time to raise their hand -- I swear that at least half of the athletes raised their hand! This course is a PERFECT first time tri, so I think that most of them will come back for more.

Last updated: 2005-07-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:07 | 587 yards | 01m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 19/30
Overall: 160/347
Performance: Good
Kept HR and breathing well under control. Stayed calm, kept to the outside, and only touched one other swimmer the whole time.
Suit: Xterra Vortex Fullsuit ('02)
Course: 1/3 mile. Beach start. Course was measured out to 0.33 miles by the head of Minnesota TriMasters, Dave Cameron (Carleton alum c/o '99!) -- this dude swam the frickin' English Channel last year, so I trust his measurements! Out and back triangle: start on the west end of the beach, a line of small orange floaters to the left, around a pontoon boat and a large orange inflatable, and back in to the east side of the beach, down a different line of orange floaters (still on our left). Onto the beach, followed by a 50m run to the t-area. Our bikes were very close to the swim entrance/bike exit.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:47
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:38:19 | 13 miles | 20.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/30
Overall: 74/347
Performance:
HR good, hard effort but not overdone.
Wind: Some
Course: 13 mile loop. Winds out of the south gave us a very good push on the long 2nd leg of the loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:20:38 | 03 miles | 06m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/30
Overall: 45/347
HR high but I was able to maintain it...
Course: Flat as a board! Shade for about 1/2 the course and little wind.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-07-05 4:28 PM

User image

New user

Ames, IA
Subject: MinneMan Triathlon

2005-07-05 8:06 PM
in reply to: #190768

User image

molto veloce mama
Subject: RE: MinneMan Triathlon
wow! you kicked tail! great race...and i agree, it was gorgeous out, and the event was run really well.
2005-07-06 9:45 AM

User image

Regular
Eden Prairie, MN
So help me out here, Mike - did you enjoy the race or not? I'm getting some mixed signals...

I'm kidding, of course. Sounds like you had a fantastic race - congratulations! I need to adopt your swim tactic of starting slowly and steadily, and not getting caught up in the desire to run out in a frenzy with the rest of the pack.

So far, all 3 race reports (yours, Autumn's, and mine) from the MinneMan have been overwhelmingly positive. Let's hope they continue it next year!

Regards,
Kevin
2005-07-06 12:54 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

Wow! Awesome, awesome race! Congratulations!

(pssst... you aren't a slow swimmer! )

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MinneMan Triathlon Rss Feed