General Discussion Race Reports! » TRINONA - THE BATTLE FOR THE BLUFF Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

TRINONA - THE BATTLE FOR THE BLUFF - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Winona, Minnesota
United States
TRINONA, LLC
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 16m 44s
Overall Rank = 150/182
Age Group = F 40-44
Age Group Rank = 8/10
Pre-race routine:

Jeremy had to stay home with his injured hand, so I rode over to Winona with Mario. Usual breakfast and headed out around 4:30.
Event warmup:

Jogged the bike to transition. That's all. Would a proper warm-up have made a difference? Doubt it.

Let's just get this out of the way now... My head was just not in this race. I was worried about the hill. It was my first race I've done without J and I just didn't want to do it. Going into a race knowing you'd rather be at home just sucks. Not using it as an excuse, but that's the reality.

On the upside, it was great to have so many TriRochester people around to hang with. Thanks to you all for a fun day in spite of my funky attitude.

Now back to the race report...
Swim
  • 32m 1s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 08s / 100 meters
Comments:

Not my best swim. Goggles fogged within the first 100m. I tried to put up with it, but it just got too annoying. I had to stop 3 times to rinse the goggles. Sucks. Not as much contact as last week and I was happy about that. I did catch some good feet. One guy had a kick like an outboard motor. Nice draft.

What would you do differently?:

Swim faster. I know I can do better than this.
Transition 1
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

Kind of an average T1. First time out with the new helmet, so I have to get used to how to put it on quickly.

Meh.
Bike
  • 1h 31m 55s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.22 mile/hr
Comments:

Why did I sign up for this race? Oh yea, Jeremy wanted to do it. The first stretch of out and back wasn't bad. Kind of fun rollers. Then coming back into town, I was facing down my fate. The big effin hill. There was a timing mat at the bottom and the top and they split out those times. Pretty much after I crossed the first mat, it got ugly. Granny gear immediately. Excellent. My goal was to get farther up the hill than last time and not crash into the curb. I was hurting, but I made it about halfway up, past the photographer. Then I just walked along and enjoyed the break off the bike. Do you think the aero helmet made my walk faster? Maybe. I hopped back on about 50 yards from the timing mat at the top and quickly passed 3 people. Sweet!

After the hill, the course flattens out and I was able to go pretty quickly. Had lots of time to make up. The downhill was awesome and I was sad to see that road end. The rest of the ride was through neighborhoods on barely paved roads. Grrr. I'm sure you all know by now that I simply hate crappy pavement. I lost some time in this section in part due to the pavement and also because of so many turns.

Sprout wings and fly? Really, losing 15 pounds would probably do a lot. As I type this, I'm eating chocolate. Ironic?
Transition 2
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

Nice dismount and T2.
Run
  • 1h 07m 53s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

As I started out on my run (ie: death shuffle), I had a goal of keeping a nice steady pace. I did 10 miles on Thursday with no issues, so I thought that I could have a nice little medium run today. That changed at about 5 minutes in with the start of a side stitch. Then I had to pee. Really? Found a portapotty and headed for it. The guy behind me was headed for it too, but I claimed it. Sorry dude! My gut started up again about 15 min in. Nothing I did was helping. The GU brew didn't help and neither did the water. I popped an enduralyte at the turnaround, hoping for relief. It never came. Dave C. was officiating and I was offering him increasing amounts of money for the bike he was cruising down the trail. No dice. Kept shuffling along hoping for death. Finally I saw the finish line and sped up just so I could be done.

Not sure. I really need to figure out my nutrition before Racine. Going to try a few sport drink alternatives, natural instead of processed. We'll see. Actually, for all my whining and complaining, this run was less than 20 seconds off of last week's run. Sure I felt better during last week's run, but I was still able to hold on to that pace today, even with a grumpy gut.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some food and ate in hopes of calming the gut. As I was sitting on my bench munching, Joe R brought over a bag of beer. Good planning, man! Lots of TriRoch folks with AG or overall placings.

Mario and I walked back to the car and as we came into view of the parking lot, I saw a white SUV very close to his car. Then it became obvious that the SUV was touching his car. Actually it was smashed into his car. There were a grand total of 4 cars in the whole lot and this guy managed to hit Mario's car. Nice. At least the guy was still there and willing to do the right thing. Paperwork filled out and all that stuff.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The usual.

Event comments:

This race is very well-run and organized. The big hill was simply too much for me at this stage in the game. Not sure about going back next year, but we'll see.

Last updated: 2010-03-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:01 | 1500 meters | 02m 08s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 118/182
Performance: Below average
Nutrition- gel about 40 min before the swim
Suit:
Course: Clockwise triangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:42
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:31:55 | 24.85 miles | 16.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/10
Overall: 143/182
Avg HR- 150 Max HR- 173 For some reason my HR strap isn't reading well on the bike. Need to tighten it some. Nutrition- Some gel (maybe a whole one) and a little sport drink. Not enough water. Drink more water!
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back rollers, big effin hill, flat, sweet downhill, and crappy roads back into town. Pretty technical course with lots of turns.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:07:53 | 06.21 miles | 10m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/10
Overall: 167/182
Avg HR- 155 Max HR- 172 Nutrition- Water and GU brew. Enduralyte at turnaround.
Course: The cruelist run ever. Go almost around the lake, then turn around and come back. Purely evil. PS- some mile markers would have been nice.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-13 6:26 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Subject: TRINONA - THE BATTLE FOR THE BLUFF

2010-06-13 7:01 PM
in reply to: #2918882

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: TRINONA - THE BATTLE FOR THE BLUFF

Beer always helps!   Sorry this wasn't your day.  I have to think a 10 mile run a few days before also didn't help...  I love the image of you walking "faster" with the aerohelmet   Own it!  You'll do great in Racine - good luck with the nutrition stuff. 

2010-06-14 8:28 AM
in reply to: #2918882

Nice work out there today Pattie.  You're not going to let that hill win are you?  You know you want revenge.  You'll be back next year to show that hill who's boss!

I'll let you know when registration opens

2010-06-14 1:52 PM
in reply to: #2919686

User image

Veteran
Minnetonka, MN
Sounds like it was a rough day, sorry to hear that.  I didn't even think to look out for other BTers.  That Rocherster Tri club (if its the ones in the Blue) seemed like a great group, lots of them out there, fast, and the fast ones were so supportive of the others still going.  I did the swim on a relay with two friends that had never been to a tri and the were impressed by the club. 

JoeR is right, go back next year and kick some butt!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TRINONA - THE BATTLE FOR THE BLUFF Rss Feed