Columbia Triathlon Association
96F / 36C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 45m 30s
Overall Rank = 1002/1052
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 78/86
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at a little vacation house near Taylors Island, MD, which is south of Cambridge. Had my alarm set for 4:45am to get up. For some reason I didn't get up and wake up with the clock blaring 5:20am in my face. FREAKING out I start getting dressed and moving VERRRY quickly. Get some food (very little, really nervous) and get on the road.

Finally get to Cambridge around 6:15am and park and make my way to transition. Get marked, and first thing I hear "NO WET SUITS". Bummed out a little since I did bring it with me, but just figured I'd actually use my swim fitness that I've worked on this season.

Set up my transition and talked to James (James Blackwood), Steve (Scamp), and Christy (dolelicious).
Event warmup:

Ended up just relaxing and finally meeting up with my parents who made the trip down from home at 4 in the morning. Talked to them, hit the bathroom and just relaxed. Since they bumped the swim start back 15 mins I ended up not going off until around 8:30am! It was fairly warm out and you could feel how strong the sun was going to be.

Walked over to the water and did a little warm up swim. Maybe 75m if that to get a feel for the water. Then waited with the rest of the Neon Green caps for our beginning.
Swim
  • 48m 10s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 29s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started out well and really tried to get infront of the slower guys. Sighting going out was pretty good and tried to focus from bouy to bouy just like Columbia. About half way out you could feel the current, which made breathing a little hard since I would turn to breathe and hit a small chop. I changed up my stroke and made it to the first red bouy.

Hit the first turn and tried to reposition myself for the next section of the swim. This was a little hard since the swim wave behind us (25-29 girls) where coming up behind and I was also swimming into the wave before us. Also the sun was right at my sight line on my left side so it made finding the bouys a little hard.

Hit the next turn and began to make my way back to shore. Focused on getting back as fast as I could. I could see the swim finish and heard my parents cheering for me. Crossed the swim finish into T1 and gave Vigo (the RD) a big high five.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe sight better? I heard there was a lot of gripe about the course being "long" I honestly think it was just the current and it was pretty difficult to swim into it for the first half.

I'm pretty happy it wasn't a wet suit legal swim. We would have roasted out there.
Transition 1
  • 02m 52s
Comments:

Since there was no wetsuit I felt I was really moving. Tried to get my HR under control and get on the bike. Also make sure I didn't forget any of my nutrition or race number belt since I'd be out there for a while.

Nothing really, fairly happy with my time
Bike
  • 3h 26m 44s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.25 mile/hr
Comments:

Got out of T1 and got up to speed pretty well. Tried to focus on taking some Endurolytes right from the beginning. Also wanted to take it easy for the first 10 miles since I knew I had a long way to go for the rest of the day. Around mile 6 of the ride you got to see the pros come in from the bike. Man they were moving!

Focused on staying consistent through the first 24 miles. The wind was in your face a little bit so I didn't want to push it too hard. I think I avg'd around 18ish for this part. Got to the first aid station right around mile 24 and took on a Gatorade bottle and began to pick the pace up a tad since the wind was no longer in our face and we were protected for a bit by the trees.

I then got passed by Christy (dolelicious) and she was moving at a pretty good pace. I also passed a friend of mine with a tire problem around mile 30ish and yelled some words of encouragement. During this middle part of the ride I tired to focus on 2 Endurolytes every hour and drinking a whole bottle of fluid (water or Gatorade) every 45mins or so.

Around mile 40 my friend who had the flat tire caught up with me and we chatted for a bit. He broke off and continued to have a great rest of the day. At this point I really hit the wall. The wind on Egypt finally hit me slightly and I could feel the heat and sun barring down on me. I take a look back and see my room mate slowly catching up to me on the bike. I just want to make it back into T2 and get off this bike.

Slowly I start thinking. This is miserable, just quit! Why do you want to do this. This isn't fun. How are you going to be able to run with no push from your legs now?

After yelling at myself in my head which felt like a half hour I look up to see I caught up to Steve (Scamp). Both of us relay how we are feeling and say "how are we going to run" etc. etc. Steve talks me out of quitting with the "You just have to see it as a $255 medal at the end, just walk it and finish"

So both of us pedal back in and during the last 5 miles we see a lady stop and collapse on the side of the road. Passing her she says shes okay but at the next turn (where the cops were stopping traffic) we mentioned someone might want to check her out.

At this point I begin to pick up the pace again since my adrenaline kicks in. I make the turn into somerset ave.(the last straight away) crushing the speed around 24-25 mph. Only if I could maintain that for all 56! I hit T2 and see my dad on the cell phone.

More long rides in the heat. My nutrition was on (or atleast I think so). My legs just had no pop at all around mile 40-55. But the odd thing is that this is right around the pace I'd figure I'd be.
Transition 2
  • 07m 2s
Comments:

Came into T2 and told my dad that I'd be a while for the next part since I'd made up my mind to walk the run portion. I hear my mom and gf and friends cheering me on saying, "you look great.. woooo" I racked my bike. Bump into my room mate again (realizing that he passed me like 45 mins ago and he is some how still in T2). I took my time getting my shoes and socks on realizing I better be comfortable for this run.

Made a small bathroom stop before saying hello and chatting it up with my parents. My family was great and ready with ice cold rags for my neck. I end up heading out of T2 with Steve and started the beginning of the run.

Nothing really I was happy with T2 considering the conditions
Run
  • 3h 20m 42s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 15m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Steve and I left T2 and began a slow jog/shuffle/fast walk until about mile 1. I had a really bloated stomach and felt just really full of all the fluids I took on the bike. While Steve just started cramping in his legs. We made it to the first aid station and took down some ice and ice water. We tried to start running and I made it around 100 yards before my stomach was giving me problems.

I told Steve keep going and I'd catch up (which I never did). I tried to focus on settling my stomach and keeping myself mentally with everything since I knew itd be a while until I'd be back.

Once I was by myself again the voices came back into my head (just turn around, go back your family and relax). I finally blocked it out and began running right around mile 2-2.5. I passed that "party block" where these kids had a volleyball game going and were drinking and playing tail gate toss. After about 400 yards I was back to a walk. Just sucked it up and said F'it if your going to walk this thing lets try to walk a little faster.

I made it to the turn out to the highway where I saw James and gave him a high five. He told me to take water and ice water at every stop since it was brutally hot out there. I took his advice for the next few aid statios and began putting ice in my hands to hopefully cool myself down.

Passing the people coming in I began to realize I wasn't the only one walking. A great majority of the people out there where walking and were looking pretty exhausted.

At the turn around I saw Steve again and he was suffering just like the rest of us. During my long walk I met up with a few people who were doing the same thing. We tried to run for a min and walk for a min. Needless to say that didn't last very long. I'd run for a min and my HR would get super high like I just got done doing sprint sets or something.

I kept telling myself to keep going forward and to not stop. I continued to take James words of advice with the ice water and ice.

I finally hit the party block again and made a quick toss of tail gate toss, which I missed. Then one of the party goers hands me a beer. Figuring heck it can't hurt I took a sip and went on my way.

I hit mile 11 and the last aid station and began to get back to the walk jog thing until the end. I see my gf and her best friend, they rant how good I look and make the phone call to the base station. I hit the final turn and begin my jog into the finishing suit. Hear my family cheering for me and my name on the loud speaker I cross the finish line.

I DID IT! I finished my first HIM!

Nothing, I'm happy with how I did considering the conditions
Post race
Warm down:

Got my medal, the one I wanted once I got off the bike. Drank water and met up with my family and went to my mom. We both sorta broke down for a bit since she was so proud of me to keep going. I took pictures with my room mate and gf.

Went to sit down in the shade, changed really quick and got into the car to get on my way. Got stuck in beach traffic coming back but I was glad to be in the AC and out of that heat

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat and ability to run, yeah I'm going to say those two things

Event comments:

The volunteers were amazing this day. Considering it was 96 outside with a feel like temp of 105! is truly amazing that they came out to help.

Great race and after all of the complaining and gripe on hating the race and not doing it next year, well I'm going to wait and see what happens and make my decision later.

Thank you for reading!

Last updated: 2009-09-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:48:10 | 1931 meters | 02m 29s / 100meters
Age Group: 58/86
Overall: 913/1052
Performance: Good
Suit: Just tri suit
Course: Out turn right.. turn right again and back to shore
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:52
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:26:44 | 56 miles | 16.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 78/86
Overall: 1719/1052
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Basic circle through the Blackwater Refuge
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 07:02
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
03:20:42 | 13.1 miles | 15m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 78/86
Overall: 0/1052
Performance:
Course: Out and back course with no shade and a lot of sun. Verrry flat
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %6
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-06-17 8:57 AM

Pro
yep,
Subject: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon
Thanks for taking the time to read it all.

Edited by Dlaxman31 2010-06-17 9:22 AM

2010-06-17 9:12 AM
in reply to: #2927488

User image

Regular
Marlboro, NJ
Subject: RE: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon
Great race, way to go! I had two friends do Eagleman and they both told me about the scorching heat on the bike and run. Said it may have been some of the worse conditions they have raced in...they did the same thing on the run with the ice at every station. You finished and that is the important thing!!!!!
2010-06-17 10:31 AM

Great Race report and Congrats on Finishing a super tough race! The run was incredibly hot but you stuck with it and you should be very proud of that.
2010-06-17 12:09 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-06-17 9:33 PM

Veteran
Talking your brain into finishing is a task! Don't you wish you could disconnect it for a while? Way to stay tough!
2010-06-18 7:48 AM

Master
Fulton, MD
Nice work, CJ!  And to re-iterate, I think you should pull the trigger on the half full.

2010-06-18 8:23 AM

Master
Baltimore
Nice job CJ!  I don't know how you guys did it out there in that heat, congrats!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Rss Feed