United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 45m 35s
Overall Rank = 82/107
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 7/8
Pre-race routine:

Since the race didn't start til 9, was able to sleep til 6:30 and left just after 7. Drove up through Boulder Canyon (haven't driven that way before), which was itself gorgeous. Ate a breakfast cookie and drank black coffee and water on the way. Scouted out some places to stop and take pictures on the way back. Arrived in Rollinsville at 8:20 and walked down the road from where I parked about .25 mile to the start area, where I hit the porta potty and then picked up my bib, chip, and (really nice, light blue!) tech shirt. Hoofed it back uphill to my car, ate a banana, drank a little more water, and got ready for the race, then walked back down to the start. Got in the porta potty line again on the off chance I'd get through the line before the race started (even though it wasn't urgent). Made a friend of the girl in front of me in line and managed to just barely make it into the porta potty before the race started. As I left the porta potty the race had just started, so I ran from there to the start line.
Run
  • 1h 45m 35s
  • 10 miles
  • 10m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

I went into this race knowing it would be tough, so I decided to take a tourist approach and just run slow and enjoy the scenery (and even take some pictures along the way). Started slow and felt the elevation cardiovascularly - just felt a bit like I had something heavy on my chest, but wasn't too awful. The sun was behind us but was extremely warm (and, like a genius, I forgot to bring sunscreen). I was soon dripping sweat and was happy to see the first water station was just before the 1 mile mark. After 2 miles I briefly considered turning around with the 5-milers (this race had 5, 10, and 15 mile options), but I reminded myself that the whole reason I chose 10 miles was to challenge myself, and I WAS capable of doing 10. I saw my friend from the porta potty line after she had turned around for the 5 miler - the big smile and wave from a (newly) familiar face was a much-needed boost. Kept plugging along, enjoying the scenery. Just after 3 miles I stopped to take a picture and the woman behind me said, "Do you want one with you in it?" I said, "Sure, if you don't mind!" She said she was just out to enjoy the scenery as well and happily stopped and took my picture (see my log). At the 4 mile mark ("just ONE MORE MILE til the turnaround!" I thought) I ate half a package of Honey Stinger chews. At an aid station just before 5 miles I drank Gatorade, water, and ate a few pretzel nuggets (SALT!), then stopped to take a couple more pictures. I was thrilled to see the lady at the 5 mile turnaround and told her so (even though I didn't know her haha).

Checked the elevation on my Garmin and saw it was just over 8900', which meant the rest would be just about all downhill. YAY! Up til this point my legs had been feeling good and my cardiovascular system like crap; as I began the gradual descent my legs started to feel tired and my cardiovascular system was released from the vise grip of the long gradual uphill. The bottoms of the bones in my toes began to hurt a bit as well (something I've encountered before on long runs). But gloriously, even though I was running directly into the sun, there was a nice wind for most of the way back, so I was remarkably cooler than on the out. Deeply breathed in the clean mountain air scented by the evergreen trees and just took in the beauty of the place. Slow or not, I was very grateful for the opportunity and ability to run 10 miles on such a gorgeous day in a beautiful place. Ate the rest of the Honey Stinger chews around mile 7. Was VERY glad to again see the water station just past the 9 mile mark, as I was really thirsty and thankful that I had less than a mile left. Naturally, though most of the return had been a long, gradual downhill, there were 2 relatively significant uphills in the last mile. Walked the first and was able to move in a running-like motion for the second, then it was a wonderful downhill to the finish line.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Oh, perhaps wear sunscreen.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit to bring my HR down to something approaching "normal," at least for 8400'. Legs felt pretty good and my feet/toes stopped hurting as soon as I stopped running. Ate watermelon and part of a mini bagel with peanut butter. Drank a lot of water. I hardly ever drink soda, but an ice cold can of Pepsi REALLY tasted good. My porta potty line friend waved me over so I sat and talked to her for a while, just enjoying the weather and watching the rest of the finishers come in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

COULD I have run this a bit faster than I did? Yes. Did I want to? No. Who knows if and when I'll be able to do another race like this, so I really wanted to take it slow and enjoy it. Mission accomplished.

Event comments:

This is a great small race! Really impressed with it from the relatively inexpensive entry fee to the tech shirt to the post-race entertainment and food. If we weren't moving I'd absolutely do this again.

Last updated: 2010-06-17 12:00 AM
Running
01:45:35 | 10 miles | 10m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/8
Overall: 82/107
Performance: Good
Course: Rolling hills, out-and-back all on dirt roads. Started at 8400' and the turnaround was at a little over 8900'.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-19 8:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: Joe Colton's Off Road Run

2010-06-20 1:23 PM
in reply to: #2932131

User image

Veteran
Orange, CT
Subject: RE: Joe Colton's Off Road Run

Sounds like a great race and a great day! I love that you stopped to take pictures Beautiful pics, i love the one with the gigantic mountains in the background. Sounds like a great way to break up a 10 mile run. Happy to hear you had such a great race and made a new friend to boot !

2010-06-20 1:26 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

I've always wanted to do this race, and my bro lives in Rollinsville....now that I have read  your RR, I MUST do it!  Congrats on a great race!

2010-06-20 1:35 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Great race report! Well done!

We should all treat a race like a tourist now and again, gives you a different perspective! I am jealous that you got to breathe in that pure mountain air!

2010-06-21 8:48 AM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Sounds like a ton of fun with challenge sprinkled into all the right places! Nicely done, both in having fun and in knocking out 10 tough miles!
2010-06-22 12:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago
What a great day!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Joe Colton's Off Road Run Rss Feed