City of Pflugerville, Jack and Adams Bicycles
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m 41s
Overall Rank = 243/479
Age Group = F 50-54
Age Group Rank = 9/24
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4 a.m. and had my bowl of oatmeal and coffee. Loaded up the car and was on the road by 5:50, had a bottle of water and another cup of coffee on the way. I took a half of a PB+J, and forgot to eat it...
Event warmup:

Swam nice and easy to the turn-around buoy and back to shore (500 yds) and stretched. Had a GU about 15 minutes before my wave went off.
Swim
  • 10m 50s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

WTF??? I swam to the far buoy in warm up and then got lost in the race?? I got my prime starting spot, inside left in the front, got off really well and was cruising along at a really good pace. I saw a kayak following up behind me on my left, and I had to stop to make a quick sighting only to find out I was about 25 yards to the left of the first buoy!!!!!! By the time I made it back on course, I was now MOP. Did well, rounded the turn-around buoy and headed for shore and wouldn't you know I did the same damn thing AGAIN???? What the HELL? I was so pissed at myself, I've never had a hard time sighting, I guess I was just heading towards the wrong yellow buoy and ended up in the middle of the going out and the coming in lanes. Probably added about 100 yards to my swim. Really threw me off.
What would you do differently?:

Umm, definitely make sure I was sighting on the correct buoys!! I probably would have been 2nd out of the water without the detours.
Transition 1
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

There was a pre-arranged bike in/bike out route that they changed at the last minute. I totally would have chosed a different bike spot had I known. As it was I had to run a long ways out and a long ways in with the bike. Got to the mount line and realized I hadn't aligned my right pedal the way it should be so had to quickly adjust that and neither foot wanted to clip in, but finally got it going.

Need more transition work, I lost a lot of good free time here.
Bike
  • 43m 53s
  • 14 miles
  • 19.14 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a good ride. Passed tons of people and knew I was doing well when I started passing some men who started the swim 20 minutes before me! Did well on the hills, good gearing. I played leap frog with about 4 women from my AG and I could have pushed it harder to come in before them, but I was trying to save a little for the run. Took some Shot Blox at mile 10.5 which didn't set quite right in my stomach. Was able to pass about 10 people right before the dismount line.

Keep working on bike fitness... I really want to be able to ride an average of 20+ mph and not fall apart on my run, I'm not there yet. Overall, I was pretty happy with this ride. Best part of the race!
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

I couldn't run to rerack my bike, it was on a downhill, and I just didn't feel that steady. Had a little bit of a hard time getting my running shoes on, I may need to loosen the Yankz just a little, and left calf wanted to cramp. Got them on, grabbed my stuff and off I went.

I need to work on taking the shoes off BEFORE I dismount so I can run easier to my rack. I really don't like how hard it is to run with the cleats I have.
Run
  • 34m 11s
  • 3 miles
  • 11m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

By this time I had seen 4 or 5 women in my AG pass me on the bike and then a few more that I had passed on the bike, passed me on the run. I was pissed at myself about the swim and knew I had lost a chance at a medal, so I kind of said, "oh well" and didn't give it my all. Walked several times even though I could have easily kept going at the pace I was going. I did finish pretty strong for me when we hit the last segment towards the finish line that was paved.

Keep running!! After a mile I KNOW my legs begin to feel normal again. I need to keep working on starting slow and the negative splitting my runs so I get used to picking it up on tired legs. I will not let the run beat me!!!
Post race
Warm down:

None, received an ice cold wet towel and a cold water at the finish. I looked for Brittany and didn't see her so I just sat down on the curb and cussed myself out for a crappy race. She caught up with me within a few minutes and then we packed up our bikes and got some food and waited for awards... Go Britt, 3rd in her AG and 7th woman overall!!! Super for her considering she was having some stomach problems...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Definitely poor sighting in the swim... and as ususal, a sucky run. I am really happy with my bike and swim (in general) but I am not at all happy with my run, it is my nemesis!!!

Event comments:

This was a very well run race, and a great course... fairly easy bike and run course. I will want to do this one again. There have been some monster women in my AG that have just started showing up for ALL the races I've done so far... I don't remember any of them from last season, I must be picking different races this year! I ended up as 72 out of 230 women that puts me in the top 3rd. Overall right at 50%, MOP. Swim was top 20%, bike top 16%, run top 58% (haha, or reading it the other way, bottom 42%)

Last updated: 2010-04-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:50 | 500 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/24
Overall: 140/479
Performance: Below average
Suit: 2 piece tri suit
Course: Wade start, past 2 buoys on the left, then angle to the Left and make a sharp left turn back towards shore and then 2 more buoys on the left.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:21
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:43:53 | 14 miles | 19.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/24
Overall: 150/479
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Clockwise loop on fairly good roads. Some rollers, but no major hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:34:11 | 03 miles | 11m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/24
Overall: 377/479
Performance: Below average
Course: One loop around the lake, nice and flat, mostly crushed granite with a couple of cement areas. All in the sun, no shade.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-20 1:26 PM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: Lake Pflugerville Triathlon

2010-06-20 6:20 PM
in reply to: #2932683

Veteran
Subject: RE: Lake Pflugerville Triathlon
Nice bike, wish I could do 20 or run as fast as your "slow" pace!
2010-06-20 7:26 PM

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
I know you're mildly disappointed with the results but look the positive side.  You finished the race, you did part of it very well (awesome bike!) and you even left some room for improvement!  We both know you can do it so you'll just have to wait until your next race to kick some serious booty???!

2010-06-20 8:59 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Sometimes race improvement is pieced together from several different races--so just learn from the downers and it'll just make you stronger next time!

I really enjoyed your company this weekend!! Nice job out there!
2010-06-20 9:10 PM

User image

Seminole, FL
Great learning experience! you are still an amazing triathlete!
2010-06-21 8:15 PM

Expert

Top third! That's great!

2010-06-23 12:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Don't be so hard on yourself Hilde! You had a great bike leg and just remember all this running (training and racing) is going to catch up with you eventually and you're gonna surprise yourself with some new speed one day! Keep at it!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Pflugerville Triathlon Rss Feed