General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My First Open Road Bike Trip Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-08 11:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Spartanburg
Subject: My First Open Road Bike Trip
Tomorrow AM is the first time i'm going to get the guts to ride my bike outside on the hills and with the cars....

I need some advice to make me feel like i can really do it...
Anything you've got about sidewalks, and cars and hills and speed and gear...just anything...Feel free to include personal antecdotes about your experiences.

2005-07-08 12:16 PM
in reply to: #193142

User image

St. Louis, MO
Subject: RE: My First Open Road Bike Trip

You will be fine.  Take it easy, be aware.  Don't make this first open road trip a race. 

Be aware of your state's rules for bikes and follow them.  You should be treated as a motor vehicle and are expected to ride on the road and obey traffic signals. Actually, there was a whole thread on different tips on lane position etc when riding on the road..I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: Found it! http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20688&posts=26#s

I try to ride on more residential roads or "main" residential roads.  I find that roads near parks or bike trails are more bike friendly.  Also, if you travel on roads and frequently see cyclists, try biking in those areas. Earlier in the morning is better.  Get out before everyone starts to run those Saturday errands.

Use hand signals to communicate with drivers. Make eye contact with drivers at intersections.

Man, I know I have more tips, but I can't think of anything...I totally blanked.  Enjoy your ride!

Edited by slovegreen 2005-07-08 12:20 PM
2005-07-08 12:21 PM

Master
Shreveport, LA
(IMO) This is a road bike and should be ridden on the road and not the sidewalk.

The keys to riding on the road.
1. Be an attentive listener. Listen for cars coming behind you.
2. Ride on the right side of the road.
3. Don't hit potholes, etc. It hurts you and your bike, so watch out for them.
4. If at all possible, ride in a group.
5. Wear a color that can be seen.
6. Pay attention to your surroundings.
7. Be sure you know how to get out of your clipless pedals before you get to a stop sign.
8. Carry 2 tubes, at least 2 CO2 tubes, tire levers and a cell phone. Cash and photo ID aren't bad to have either.
9. Stay hydrated.

There are probably tons of other things, but those are what come to mind first.
2005-07-08 12:57 PM

User image

Expert
mnewton and slovegreen offer great advice. I would follow everything they said. In addition, let me add the following: ALWAYS wear a helmet and don't take your ipod if you'll be in traffic. Make sure you signal your intentions clearly and in plenty of time to the other drivers. Do not make any quick turns or erratic moves. If you need do cross an intersection and feel nervous, dismount the bike and walk across the intersection. If you are not comfortable riding in traffic, try to avoid too many left hand turns at intersections, but if you have to then make sure you take a line so that you'll end up to the right side of the road on the other side. Always assume the cars don't see you and plan ahead what you will do if you have to employ evasive maneuvers.
2005-07-08 1:04 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario

I need some advice to make me feel like i can really do it... Anything you've got about sidewalks, and cars and hills and speed and gear...just anything...Feel free to include personal antecdotes about your experiences.

- do not ride on sidewalks ... ever; it is far too dangerous at intersections.

- do not pass a car that is entering an intersection; even if the driver is not signalling he/she may turn without looking for cyclists

- you are a road vehicle and as such must obey the rules of the road, which includes stopping at stop signs and red lights even if there is nobody around.

- do not ride with headphones ... be fully aware of what is around you by using all your senses.

- if you are going for a long ride bring a few water bottles, maybe even one with a mix of gel and water or Gatorade.

- remember to bring spare tubes, a tire iron and a mini pump in case you flat.

- bring some money along in case you bonk and need to buy something to bring up your energy levels.

- if you don't have a cell phone, bring an extra quarter to call home.

- before leaving, let someone know where you are going and the time you expect to return, just to be safe.

2005-07-08 1:31 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

You've already gotten lots of great advice.

I'd echo the getting out early to ride. You'll likely avoid a lot of traffic that way which will make your life easier, especially the first time.

Stay to the right when you can, but don't be afraid to take the road if you need it (potholes, etc.). Just remember that cars don't expect you to move around much so hold as striaght a line as possible and check anytime before you move out.

Shift into an easier gear as you approach a hill. If you're struggling to turn the pedals over it's already too late.  I made this mistake (again) the other day and got stuck mashing up a steep (but blessedly short) hill in my big ring--ouch!

Then just ride, baby, ride! Go Team Guinness!

2005-07-08 1:36 PM

User image

Master
South of SLC
I would reinforce what a couple of people have touched on -- focus on bike handling (i.e. shifting, braking, your line, turning, etc.) and not your speed for the first couple of rides. You really need to be able to ride in a straight line when biking to keep yourself safe, so get those skills ASAP.

Mike
2005-07-08 2:10 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Just breath. No car is gunning for you. It is going to be a little scary the first time but it gets easier, really, I promise!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My First Open Road Bike Trip Rss Feed