United States
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 19s
Overall Rank = 139/605
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 17/63
Pre-race routine:

Woke up nice and early at the Aunt and Uncles house. Downed the Builder Bar and drank some water. Filled up the two water bottles (one with Accelerade which would accompany me on the race) and got out to the car. Made it to the park at around 5:15 and there was already a line out of the park. It was about to go down.
Event warmup:

Actually did a little run warm up. Probably nothing more than 1/2 mile with some strides just to get the legs warmed up since I did nothing on Friday.

Got everything ready, went down to the waters edge and waited for it all to begin.
Swim
  • 09m 51s
  • 600 meters
  • 01m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

I knew I would do well in the swim and needed to use it to my advantage. I did. You dive in 2 at a time. Within 4 strokes I had left my partner in the dust. Pushed it a bit harder to start to get a nice rhythm going and it worked. I have absolutely no idea how many people I passed but I know it was a lot.
Probably the one thing I don't like about Time Trial starts is that you are always having to pass people. A LOT of people. My sighting was great. I learned quite a bit from watching Mark at Galena. I always knew where I was and I always knew when I was coming up on someone.
The swim, overall was perfect.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Don't think I could have done it any better.
Transition 1
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

Transition was much bigger this year, therefore, there was quite a distance from the Bike Out to the Mount Line AND it was uphill so I did what everyone else was doing and just ran up to the mount line, got on and went.

Maybe run a little faster up from the swim out. It is about a 75 yard run to transition uphill. However it was also VERY muddy (more on that later) so I didn't want to wipe out.
Bike
  • 43m 6s
  • 15 miles
  • 20.88 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew there was a headwind on the outbound part of the bike so I planned on pushing it a bit harder than normal, trying to keep it as close to 19 mph as possible. I also knew I had to attack the hills to keep the pace up. This all paid off. When I turned around to come back, I was absolutely flying.

I knew I had the chance to get well under 45. My goal was 40-42. Not too far off from it. I pushed it harder than I've ever pushed it.

Push it just that much harder up the hills, especially into the wind. I knew I had plenty of time to recover and get the HR back down. But other than that, I'm pretty happy with it.
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

This went incredibly smooth until I left T2. I had my number on my race belt the entire race, tucked into the back of my shorts. Reached back to untuck it, and move it around to the front and broke one of the damn holes. This slowed me down later. Will have to change that to tucking into the front of the shorts and then I will only have to pull it out and leave it alone.

Tuck the race number in the front.
Run
  • 25m 20s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

So since it had rained cats and dogs the night before, the first 1/2-3/4 mile was incredibly muddy. Combo that with me fiddling around with my race number and the first mile was WAY too slow. That being said, I did negative split it and continued to get faster with each mile (8:38, 8:10, 7:51). Wanted to do closer to sub 8:00 which I did 2 years ago but it just wasn't in the books. I know I can go faster now I just need to figure out how to do it. There is something in my mind that continues to keep me too slow.

Run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with Beth, Becca and CJ. Saw Dan (SprintDA) and John (jdwright) and then waited to find out if I qualified for Budapest or not. It seemed to take forever. They finally handed out the AG sheets and there it was, I was 17th. Better start planning cause I'm going on a big ole trip to represent the USA!!!!!!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Something in my head that keeps slowing me down on the run.

Event comments:

Eric Sarno, the RD, puts on one of the BEST races I have ever done. I'm up to 17 races and this one is just SO well run. From the time you register to the time you cross the finish line. Well done Eric. You deserved this as a qualifier. Congrats on another fantastic race.

Last updated: 2010-02-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:51 | 600 meters | 01m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/63
Overall: 85/605
Performance: Good
Triangle swim in West Lake.
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Triangle swim in West Lake.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:10
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:43:06 | 15 miles | 20.88 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/63
Overall: 139/605
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back on Locust.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:20 | 03.1 miles | 08m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 33/63
Overall: 243/605
Performance: Average
Across the damn, through the park, out to 110th street, down, turn around, back to Gate 1 and into the park to finish.
Course: Across the dam, through the park, out to 110th street, down, turn around, back to Gate 1 and into the park to finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-06-24 2:49 PM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Subject: Quad Cities Triathlon

2010-06-24 3:00 PM
in reply to: #2942098

User image

Champion
Chicago
Subject: RE: Quad Cities Triathlon
Way to go Crowny!!!  Sounds like a great race.
2010-06-24 5:17 PM

User image

Champion
Schwamalamadingdong!
Congrats, Crowny!
2010-06-28 9:48 AM

User image

Davenport, IA
Great race Crowny!  Can't wait to see you in Budapest in Sept.
2011-04-13 8:27 PM

Read your race report for last years qc tri. This will be my second tri. I am wondering do I really need a wetsuit? I am a strong swimmer (collegiate swimmer) I did some mile swims in the ocean in college (13 yrs ago) and did fine with just a regular racing suit. I figure I can do a 500 in about 10 min or less. Can I do this in just a trisuit and just be cold for 10 min? I am an Iowa native but living on Miss coast now so not familiar with Iowa lake temps anymore ThanksBeth Paynter
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Quad Cities Triathlon Rss Feed