United States
86F / 30C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 49m 45s
Overall Rank = 440/690
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 6/11
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:20ish, got dressed, and finished final packing. Left the house around 5:15.

Ate peanut butter and banana sandwich, drank coffee and water in the car on the way.

Got to the race, set-up my transition area, body marking and hanging out until the race start. Oh and of course, tried to go to the bathroom like 3 times.
Event warmup:

Ran around a little bit, nothing really.
Swim
  • 25m 42s
  • 1760 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

First: I was very excited about my time in the swim. I had "budgeted" 28-30 minutes for the swim, so finishing in under 26 was great.

However, the start was definitely rushed. I was not even in the water yet when they announced that our wave was starting in 5 seconds. So, I ran faster, jumped in the bay and tried to make my way as quickly as possible to the front of the wading swimmers. Unfortunately (obviously), I was in the back half when the race started. So, I spent the next 5 or so minutes trying to get through and away from the mass of swimmers. It was actually the first swim I have ever experienced the real difficulties related to mass swim starts. I got popped in the face a couple times and did my fair share of accidentally swimming over other people.

Also, the exit out of the bay was less than preferable. It involved climbing up a ramp (aided by the hands of volunteers) and then running up wet wooden stairs.
What would you do differently?:

Being more prepared to start the race would have been helpful, but on the plus side the fast start did not give me much time to be nervous.

I got stuck between making decisions to swim around people (and not as directly to and/or around the bouys) or try to make my way through the people (and swim more directly). I chose to swim a bit out of the way and avoid the people. I am not sure if I would make that decision again.
Transition 1
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

Well, my T1 at my last race was 3:16. Obviously no transition area is the same, but I am sure there was some improvement in my speed.

I choose at the last minute to only take one water bottle. (Hey, there were lots of hills and I already weigh enough). It ended up being a great decision. As the one bottle got me through until the 2nd water station.

Speed laces.
Bike
  • 1h 32m 5s
  • 27 miles
  • 17.59 mile/hr
Comments:

I did it (hills and all) and my time was not too bad. I was secretly hoping to get the bike done in 1:30:00 even though I budgeted up to 1:45:00.

Parts were very difficult with the drafting rule. When 50 people are going up a huge hill no one is going to slow down or speed up their tortured pace to make sure they are 3 bike lengths behind the person in front of them. At points I ended up killing my legs to sprint past someone up a small hill who was really only going a tiny bit slower than I was.

Train on hills in the future. Better turning and cornering. Be able to ride faster.
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

My T2 time last race was 0:57, so this was an improvement as well.
I even chilled for a few seconds to drink some water.
Run
  • 48m 30s
  • 5 miles
  • 09m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, I am really slow. Obviously, this is the part of my race that needs the most work.

The lack of shade was a killer. And, at the end I defintely needed more water. But, I did manage to do the whole thing running except for a short walk at the water stations. Which was good since I wanted to give up and walk a lot more.

Also, I even managed to make a friend on the run. This man in front of me stopped up the big (shadeless) hill and when I caught up with him I was like "Come on. Let's go." He picked it up and eventually managed to put 30 yards or so between us again. After the final water station (1.15 miles or so to go), he stopped again and I caught up with him. I told him "let's go" again and "you are going to finish the race before me". He made a joke and picked it up to a run. We ran close together for a bit and then he upped the pace and made it to the finish 50 yds or so before me. After I came in he stopped to thank me. In convincing him to keep running, I had to refuse to let myself give up as well. It felt good to help each other finish strong.

Alright, I guess I just do not feel comfortable pacing out my runs. I am constatly afraid that I will go too fast and not be able to make it back.

I watched a bunch of people pass me breathing hard, meanwhile I could probably have been having a small conversation with anyone who would have stopped to run with me. Granted by the end my body was super tired. I guess the point might be that my cardio is ahead of my muscles and my head doesn't have enough experience to trust a faster pace. More training it is...
Post race
Warm down:

Tried to find water as quickly as possible. :) Stretched a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Rushed start in the swim and my own lack of adequately training.

Although, I guess I should give myself some credit. It is only my 2nd triathlon, I have only been really training for 8 weeks, and I have only been on my bike for a month and a half.

So, all in all a good effort and race. Nothing to be ashamed of and room to improve for next time.

Event comments:

Really enjoyed the music both before and after the race. I got a nice mug from USAT because it was a Mid-Atlantic Championship race. It was also the best race "goody" bag I have received to date.

Well-organized and well-run. I'll be there next year.

Last updated: 2005-02-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:42 | 1760 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/11
Overall: 183/690
Performance: Good
Suit: wetsuit
Course: Diamond shaped course in the Chesapeake Bay.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:40
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:32:05 | 27 miles | 17.59 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/11
Overall: 460/690
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Hilly with one huge hill. Rough in a few spots, but newly paved in others. Very scenic.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:48:30 | 05 miles | 09m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/11
Overall: 538/690
Performance: Below average
Course: Mostly flat with a few small hills. Very little shade in points (including no shade on the biggest hill). Only 2 water stations.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-07-10 11:31 AM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
Subject: Diamond in the Rough Triathlon

2005-07-10 11:55 AM
in reply to: #194106

User image

Elite
Texas
Subject: RE: Diamond in the Rough Triathlon
Holy Cow! That swim split is crazy! I can't swim 100m that fast once, much less average it over an OLY swim. Great job!
2005-07-10 1:07 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Great Job!! You did awesome..and beat your time goal as I recall of 3 hours...you are speedy at the swim and the bike...I am surprised you have been training for only 8 weeks. Watch out Tri world once you get more training in. With good workouts your running will improve to match your swimming and biking.

You are the women...second Tri ...an Oly distance and you were smoking fast!

2005-07-10 3:12 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
Great job on your race!  Your swim time was fish-like...and nice bike pace.  With time, the run pace will be easier...it's hard not to hold back to save some, but also remember it's a race.  All in all, you should be very proud.  And it sounds like you've got a good idea of how to improve training. 
2005-07-10 8:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
great race. way to finish strong. i had a much faster swim than i planned on as well. i read another race report that said the same and they hinted that it may have been a short swim course. i prefer to think we are all just fast. hehe.
2005-07-11 9:44 AM

User image

Master
Lexington, Kentucky
Awesome race! Congratulations!

2005-07-11 10:05 AM

User image

St. Louis, MO

Nice job!  (And, thanks for details...I love details!).  Your race was awesome. I'm so glad you could help push someone on the run.  It's amazing how those little words of encouragement can make a huge difference.  Congrats on reaching your goal!

Sarah

2005-07-11 10:25 AM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Good race and nice swim...you beat me!  You were probably one of those light blue caps I say passing me in the last 400m   I loved the bike course...hills and all.  I agree...it was a well organized race and I'm planning to be back next year.
2005-07-11 1:30 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
For your 2nd triathlon and only 8 weeks of training you rocked this race.  Way to Go!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Diamond in the Rough Triathlon Rss Feed