Columbia Triathlon Association
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 51m 2s
Overall Rank = 118/1372
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 12/92
Pre-race routine:

I was nervous about running out of parking so I keep pushing up the departure time earlier and earlier. We got there around 0545 and probably would have been OK getting there later but I was surprised by how many people were there even earlier. Pumped up my tires (surprised how much pressure they lost overnight) and got my transition area setup. Wasn't really sure the best way to set everything up so tried to look at what other people were doing.
Event warmup:

Stretched but really wasn't sure what to do for warmup. I've found that stretching and a light job does well for me for running races. However, I wasn't sure if this would apply to a tri and I was in a middle swim wave. Basically I just hung out and watched the other swim waves.
Swim
  • 23m 53s
  • 1094 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt very comfortable on the swim but I got off course several times. I felt like I was swimming in a zig-zag. Several times I had to do a few strokes of breast stroke to get my bearings. Other times I felt really smooth in the water but when I looked up I was headed off course.

Overall I was very happy with the swim. I started near the shore where I didn't really need to tread water but not really deep with the "real swimmers". As a result I was pretty much clear of others at the start. My plan was to let the "real swimmers" go ahead but when the gun went off I realize I had clear water all around so I started right away.

I figured I would get freaked out at some point and need to calm myself down. This never happened. The closest I came was when I couldn't see the buoys on the way out (the sun glare was really bad) so I just decided to follow the crowd. We ran into the wave before us (#6, W30-34) at the turn buoys then the end of the wave before that (#5, W40-44) just before the turn at the island. It was a little crowded but not to bad. When I saw the double buoys marking the exit I tried to pick it up for the last 100+ yards. It was hard because it was getting crowded and there was a lot of grass, etc in the water at this point.

I think I had a great swim. My split worked out to be 2:11/ 100yds which is about 10 sec slower then when I did a 1000M in the pool. Given all the differences, nav, etc I VERY happy with this.
What would you do differently?:

Learn to navigate. Also still need to work on pacing. I felt comfortably slow. I don't know what a good pace is for this (or any distance) or what that pace feels like. As a result I focused more on remaining comfortable and finishing (probably the best strategy for me at this point).
Transition 1
  • 02m 48s
Comments:

Pulled my goggles and cap off while running towards the bikes. No trouble finding my bike. I think it helped that I walked/visualized the route from the swim exit to my bike rack. Got right to my bike and started getting dressed. I fumbled a little but not too much. Someone had suggested that I fold my socks over so I could pull them over my toes and just roll them up the rest of my foot. This worked really well and I didn't fell a need to try to dry off. I didn't really jump on my bike but I did hope on and started peddling without worrying if I was clipped in right away.

Nothing really. Maybe try to get a little more fluid with everything.
Bike
  • 54m 3s
  • 17.5 miles
  • 19.43 mile/hr
Comments:

I was absolutely flying. As soon as I pulled out of the park onto rt 108 started passing people in my age group. I got passed by one person in my age group right as I turned on to Homewood. I got passed again by someone in a different age group right after the turn at FQMS. Other than that I don't think I got passed. The pace felt very comfortable. I really wish I had HR data of this to see how hard I was really pushing it. Had one GU between the turn at FQMS and the traffic circle at Homewood. I didn't feel like I needed it but given the heat and the amount of effort I was putting out I was worried I might fall apart on the run.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

Had to come down a hill to get back into transition. I was afraid my legs would be wobbly and I'd slip with my cleats. Luckily I didn't. I found my row but had trouble finding my spot... because all the racks around me were completely empty! I realized I was doing pretty well at this point so I threw my bike in the rack, grabbed my shoes and hat and took off.

I could have been a little more organized. I racked my bike handle bars in and had trouble getting them over the rack then was trying to put on my shoes while still had my helmet on.
Run
  • 28m 45s
  • 3.4 miles
  • 08m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out with a pace of around 07:30 but knew I wouldn't be able hold it. Faded (quickly) to 8:20 by the first mile and then kept fading after that. I was doing OK (and even passed a couple people in my age group) until the first hill on the spur to the ball fields. I was really starting to fade by the time I came back up the hill again. I wanted to pick it up when crossing the damn before turning back to the finish but I couldn't do it. I got passed by two people between the damn and finish line. I think these were "new" people and not ones that I had passed prior.

I started the run at 14th in my age group so I guess I shouldn't be too hard on myself since I did move up two slots on the run.

Not sure. Need more experience running off the bike.

While going around the ball fields I passed a guy who immediately speed up and matched my pace. I remember thinking, "don't push the pace, I'm too tired". We talked a little bit and he was very encouraging. He got away from me on the hill (after saying, "come on, help me catch that guy ahead"). Instead of being afraid he was going to push me I should have used him to do just that. I've had this problem in other race. I need to stop over thinking things and not be afraid to push myself.
Post race
Warm down:

Dumped several cups of water on my head then drank couple glasses of Gatorade. Found Becky then went to sit in the shade. I really felt like I should walk around or stretch but I was exhausted. After I cooled down a bit I went and got some food. They had this weird grain salad which was really good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm sure there are several things like lack of swim experience, lack of experience pacing or running off the bike that I should work on. I know I need to push myself more running, I've had a feeling for while that I'm holding myself back mentally. I'm sure other things like the heat (it was 90 by the time I finished) contributed as well. But overall I'm VERY happy with how I did.

Event comments:

This was a great experience and I learned a lot. Now I need to get back to training because I have along way to go before Nation's in Sept!

I just found out I was number 7 of all the the first time men. The two people directly in front of me where the two guys in my age group that passed me at the end! I also ended up with the 3rd fastest bike split of all the first timer men! It's offical... I'm hooked!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-12-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:53 | 1094 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 31/92
Overall: 386/1372
Performance: Average
Suit: none
Course: Sort of a "J" shaped out and back. Started at the boat ramp then went east before turning around and going back (past the boat ramp) to the exit.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:48
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:54:03 | 17.5 miles | 19.43 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/92
Overall: 80/1372
Performance: Good
No HRM, cadence on my computer is broken...
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills with a couple of big climbs.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:45 | 03.4 miles | 08m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/92
Overall: 190/1372
Performance: Below average
Didn't wear HRM. Started out with a pace of around 07:30 but knew I wouldn't be able hold it. Faded (quickly) to 8:20 by the first mile and then kept fading after that.
Course: Loop around the lake (which is mostly flat) with a spur that has a big climb on the way out and back.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-28 9:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
Subject: Celebration Sprint Triathlon

2010-06-29 8:31 AM
in reply to: #2949697

User image

Expert
Alabama
Subject: RE: Celebration Sprint Triathlon
That's a great report.  Sounds like a good race.  Your transitions will get much better after a couple of times.
2010-06-29 9:59 AM

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
Great Race!  1300+ is alot of people for a sprint
2010-06-29 10:26 AM

User image

Expert
Raleigh
Nice work #955
2010-06-29 11:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rockville, MD
Awesome race! Even more so for your first tri!
2010-06-29 1:37 PM

Pro
yep,
Great job nice bike split is right!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Celebration Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed