Freetown, Massachusetts
United States
Sun Sport Events
Total Time = 4h 07m 51s
Overall Rank = 16/26
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This race was a spur of the moment decision. I had a long bike and swim scheduled so I decided to do the aquabike. No taper...no prep.I biked well over 100 miles the week of the race. I worked the night before and we were delivering babies like they were pizza!I didnt get home til affter midnight and I was up at 3 am. Got my stuff together and threw it in the car. I was on the road by 4 am. You know its early when Dunkin Donuts isnt open. Got to the race and registered. Nice swag!!!! Set up my stuff and hung with Beth. Ran into Kathy G who was volunteering and she agreed to hang onto my crocs so I could put them on after the swim. My feet are still not heeled well enough to run barefoot.
Event warmup:

Layed on the groung and stretched. I was in the last wave.
Swim
  • 44m 57s
  • 2400 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

This is the first race I have done since breaking my jaw last year and I was pretty nervous about the swim start. I just planned on staying out front to start and see what happened. Keep your head tucked and go! Saw Will ( my coach) and he took some pics of me standing in the water. The swim started and my HR was through the roof. Very little contact and I was able to settle into a nice easy pace. My plan was swim IM pace and I did. After the second bouy all I could think was ...this feels really long. Had a little contact when I caught up with the waves before me but was able to swim through it. Got out of the water and looked at my watch. Last year I swam it in 27 mins...this year almost 45...UGH!!!!! Didnt realize the swim was really long. It set me up for feeling pretty bad about my performance ...but shook those negative thoughts off quickly. It was just a training day.
What would you do differently?:

Not a thing
Transition 1
  • 03m 1s
Comments:

Kathy G handed me my crocs so I could wog to transition. This is a really long run to the back of transition where my bike was. I am pleased with this T1 time as I am not able to run yet
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Bike
  • 3h 17m
  • 58 miles
  • 17.66 mile/hr
Comments:

I love this course. Pretty flat with rollers. Most of the roads ( except one) are in good shape. Started out and passed a bunch of folks and then settled into my pace. Saw a woman who had flatted at about mile 10 and thought about stopping to help...but it was a race.

Sang a little, ate an uncrustable every hour and sipped from my aerobottle every mile when my Garmin beeped.One of the intersections required us to stop...the cop was letting traffic through and I hit it on both loops. Kind sucks to have to stop for so long during a race. A cop also pulled over a driver about a 1/4 mile in front of me which caused me to slow way down as cars kept pulling over ! ERRRRRR!!!!!

On the second loop I chatted with one woman for a while.I know its a race but it helped to pass the time. Saw Beth as we passed through the lakes on the second loop. I love her bright orange colors...easy to spot her!!!!!. It got very windy about half way through the second loop. I actually asked several times for someone to turn off the fan!!! Made people chuckle!

Came into the finish and racked my bike. They made the aquabikers run for a while and go up through the chute. This sucked, as I had my bike shoes on and it really hurt so I walked. People kept yelling at me to run...so annoying!!!The time of my bike is per my Garmin as the race time included the walk to the chute.

Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 13.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race
Warm down:

After I got through the finishline I sat on the ground and took my shoes off. I put ice on my feet right away and it felt great. Did this for about 5 mins and then met up with Lisa, Rori and Anthony

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Having had foot surgery 6 weeks before the race definately impacted my race. I was very happy overall with how I did given the fact that I didnt rest and was in the process of recovering.

Event comments:

This race was MUCH better than last year! No tearing down the course before people were done and lots of action around the finishline.

This year they had a sprint race too. The sprint went before the 1/2 on the swim. I think it probably would be better to have the sprint start after the half as I didnt get on the roads until almost 9 am and the roads were heavily trafficed on the second loop.If the 1/2 went first ( an hour earlier) there would probably be less traffic.

Last updated: 2010-06-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:57 | 2400 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/26
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue seventy
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:01
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:17:00 | 58 miles | 17.66 mile/hr
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 13.1 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-06-29 8:27 AM

Uxbridge
Subject: Patriot Triathlon

2010-06-29 8:24 PM
in reply to: #2950207

User image

Subject: RE: Patriot Triathlon
Great effort and it was nice seeing you at the race and chatting with you afterward.  Keep up the super recovery!
2010-07-01 8:29 AM

User image

Champion
MA
Glad you could race...i t had been long for you!

Nice job and sounds like you were happy doing what you love. Singing and chatting while riding, how about picking out houses for your real estate on a bike gig?

Congrats!

2010-07-02 8:18 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Glad you could raca and had fun at it
2010-07-03 5:52 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Great job MA I'm so glad you got to race!!

2010-07-06 9:28 AM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Very nice race Marianne. Lets hope they get the swim distance right next year! Glad the tootsies are on the mend!!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot Triathlon Rss Feed