United States
Pirhana Sports
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 38m 38s
Overall Rank = 297/668
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 37/62
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30, packed frozen water and Accelerade. Hustled the kids out of bed and away we went. Ate a ham and cheese wrap at home, Clif bar on drive up. Drank plenty of water.
Event warmup:

Stand in lines. Had to pee like a race horse, but couldn't find time to stand in line at the porta-pot.
Swim
  • 30m 16s
  • 1760 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Short course - no way I swam a 1:45 pace! I'm not complaining, though.
No chance for practice, my wave was tardy and I entered the water with only 15 seconds before the start.
Had the pull to the right early, so I lost confidence in my navigational abilities and "over-sighted" the rest of the race.
Overall I felt pretty good. Breathed every 3rd stroke the entire race. Found a decent groove during the last third of the swim, except when some guy grabbed my ankle - twice. Got water in my goggles twice and had to swim on my back and clear them. Goggles fogged during second half of swim.
What would you do differently?:

More OW practice.
Transition 1
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

Kind of weird landing. You crawl up a ramp with Dry Deck tile on it and then up a flight of stairs.

Pretty happy with T1, except I forgot to get a stick of gum for the ride.
Bike
  • 1h 29m 38s
  • 27 miles
  • 18.07 mile/hr
Comments:

Flat 0.25mi out of T1. Got flat changed, but unsure of how long it took. I'd love to know for the "What could've been..." factor. I can only guess it took 5-10 min.
Traffic slowed the race three different times - twice on uphills(!) and for a long time through Port Deposit. I'd like to know how many racers encountered this amount of traffic.
Stood up on almost every hill, and was passing alot of people, so I kept at it - even the big hill outside of Port Deposit. Quads were sore for days after, though.
Had a gel right before Conowingo. This course was hard to take nutrition on, because you're always doing something (turn, climb, descend, brake), not just pedalling away on a straightaway.

Try to practice mor on hills and more flat changing.
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Had trouble finding my bag without a bright red Felt next to it. Fortunately the rows were labeled by race number.

Get a better feel for where my stuff is without the bike.
Run
  • 34m 49s
  • 5 miles
  • 06m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Where did that come from???!!! I've never run this fast!
On the verge of cramps in my quads practically the whole race.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, Endurox. Walked around with family - great to have them there. Stretched a little, talked with Lynda. Lines for porta-pot were finally short enough, so I relieved myself.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Flat tire, very little hill practice, not enough open water swim experience, not finding my stuff soon enough in T2.

Event comments:

Eventhough my time was much worse than I had hoped, I was happy with my performance in my first Olympic distance race. I prepared well and my time was hampered by a factor that was beyond mt control. Despite the flat, I felt really good after the race (I guess that PR run didn't hurt). I met Joel after the race, so it was good to put a face with a name/avatar. Before the race I wasn't really looking forward to it after I had previwed the bike course. It turned out to be much better than I had feared, and I'm coming back next year more prepared - mentally and hopefully physically.

Last updated: 2005-07-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:16 | 1760 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 43/62
Overall: 417/668
Performance: Average
Suit: ProMotion sleeveless.
Course: Diamond shaped, clockwise.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:40
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:29:38 | 27 miles | 18.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 48/62
Overall: 410/668
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:34:49 | 05 miles | 06m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/62
Overall: 85/668
Performance: Good
7:07.92/7:07.78/7:07.72/7:04.13/~6:30 (forgot to hit my stop button when I crossed the finish line) HR 155-170 Pretty much red lined (163-165) the whole run.
Course: Reasonably flat, some hills, some grass, some road, some sidewalk - ecclectic.
Keeping cool Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-07-10 6:25 PM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
Subject: Diamond in the Rough

2005-07-10 8:21 PM
in reply to: #194281

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
Subject: RE: Diamond in the Rough
nice race. especially with a flat. bad luck.
i found the bike pretty crowded too. funny that the most dangerous bike course i have ever raced was also the most crowded. it was very difficult not to draft. even if you passed someone within the :15 seconds, you would be right in next rider's draft zone. they should have added a minute or 2 to the waves.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Diamond in the Rough Rss Feed