United States
AA Sports, Ltd.
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 47m 37s
Overall Rank = 269/
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 16/24
Pre-race routine:

Flew into Vancouver, went and picked up my bike, got b*tched out by my mechanic for my packing job and learnt how to properly pack it and then went on a short 20 mile ride to shake out the bike. Next day drove down to Sunriver. Left an hour late as my friend was late as expected. Then we had car trouble on the way down that added an extra hour to the drive. All I wanted to do was get there, register, and go to the camp site and relax. Then when we got to registration we ran into someone who knew something about cars so I took care of getting the bikes shipped to T1 while Charlotte took them out with the car to see what was up. We were suppose to drive to T1 then over to the campsite so we knew how to get to T1 in the morning. So of course race morning trying to get to T1 we had NO idea where to go. We did make it though and I am glad I had my friends with me to keep me calm.

Had some coffee at the camp site and ate a peanut butter sandwich on the way to the site. Ate another half closer to the start. Oh, and a fun size Snickers of course.
Event warmup:

Waited as long as I thought was practical then went swimming. Water was COLD. I swam until I was warmed up, or basically until I could no longer feel my body parts.
Swim
  • 49m 1s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

This is the first race that they started the guys and girls for the same age group together. Different but didn't bother me. Waves were small enough and lots of room. Being in the cold water for 5 minutes waiting on the wave start was PAINFUL. But, once they let us go I started to swim and for some reason freaked out. Not sure why. But going to shore sure was appealing. Instead I flipped to my back and did the backstroke for a bit. Then I would flip over and try to crawl and freak out again. This went on for a bit until I got to the first bouy. Then I kind of got to a point of no return and decided the shore was no longer an option and just went crawl the rest of the way. Sighting was good for the last 3 bouys. The mountains they put behind the bouys made it pretty easy. :)
What would you do differently?:

Um, not freak out. I really need swim lessons as well. I need to knock at least 10 minutes off that time.
Transition 1
  • 04m 2s
Comments:

Due to the point to point to point course you had to pack everything up into a bag. So that added to the time. However, I messed up and did not turn the Garmin on right away and for some reason I decided to wait for it to lock on before moving.

Um, screw the Garmin and go. I was only using it for cadence and HR anyways.
Bike
  • 3h 24m 32s
  • 58 miles
  • 17.01 mile/hr
Comments:

A crap load of people passed me on this course. A CRAP LOAD. Since I swam so bad this obviously meant I suck on the bike. I did get some vengence back on the 2 mile hill where I got back some of those folks and they never did pass me again. I didn't get passed on the downhill at all and still passed more folks.

Not really sure what to do here. I need more rides of course but I knew that going in. I could have pushed a little harder maybe on the first part of the course but I went by HR and cadance so I really think I biked within my limits.
Transition 2
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

Had trouble getting a sock on. Not sure I ever did put it on right. But said screw it and took off. Put my number, Garmin, and hat on as I ran out of transition. Not really sure why the time was so long. It was a long transition but not that long. Some a-hole did rack on top of my stuff but I am not sure it held me up that long.

Get my sock on better but I don't really think I did anything wrong here. So not sure what's up here.
Run
  • 2h 27m 45s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

The course was hillier then I thought it was going to be. I wasn't mentally prepared for that. My legs felt 100% fine through the whole thing but I was getting stomach cramps. I was not happy with my run performance at all.

I think I was drinking too much water. I am use to training with my Camelbak and taking small sips of water. I think my next race I will use the Camelbak.
Post race
Warm down:

No real warm down. Drank some water and some muscle milk (yuck), went and picked up my bike and called Tina.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The being sick for so long took out some important weekends of training. And I missed other long run/bikes that I can't miss this time. My training was good towards the end but kind of hit or miss previous to that.

Event comments:

They do not list the total number of participants, just the number of finishers. Which totally sucks cause I do not know how I really did against the field, just those who were strong enough to finish. There are people who's placement is higher then the total number of finishers so I know there are way more then 355 participants.

Post race kind of sucked. Took forever to find the food tent and the food was not that good. This race is also a point to point to point race which is a nightmare if you do not have friends to help you out (and thankfully I have the best). The course though has views to keep you entertained all day long. Mountains, lakes, rivers, some snow, it had it all. Although I really wanted to jump into a river or two during the hot run and really had kayak envy as I watched all the people floating the river.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-05-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:49:01 | 2112 yards | 02m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/24
Overall: 362/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Counter clockwise lake swim. Ramp start and ramp finish. It was highly recommended not to swim as far in as you could as the ramp would rip the suits. So I miss judged where to stand up and tried to early but that didn't add much time.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:02
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:24:32 | 58 miles | 17.01 mile/hr
Overall: 306/
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Point to point from T1 to T2 around Mt. Bachelour. Hilly course until mile 40 then sweet downhill for the remainder of the course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:46
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
02:27:45 | 13.1 miles | 11m 17s  min/mile
Overall: 279/
Course: Flat to rolling hills through the paved trail system in and around Sunriver.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-29 11:31 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: Pacific Crest Half Iron Triathlon

2010-06-30 8:52 AM
in reply to: #2952256

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Pacific Crest Half Iron Triathlon
Awesome job Kim!!!  I knew you'd do great... you've definitely put a lot of hard work into this and it paid off for you!  Congrats on finishing your first HIM... I know you may not be perfectly happy with certain parts of the race but I think you did great... just learn from this one what worked for you and what didn't, what parts of the race you need to improve on and I know you kill the next one
2010-06-30 9:34 AM

Veteran
back of the pack
Being awesome is not that hard for you is it?
Nice work. You finished your first HIM and that is no small feat.
2010-06-30 9:36 AM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Whoop hooo way to go Kim. I think you did great. You over came alot during the race and also leading up to it. You should be very proud of your self. Swimming in Canada sounds crazy cold. As long as you learned some things now you know better for the next one.
2010-06-30 9:43 AM

Extreme Veteran
Excellent first HIM! Don't underestimate the difficulty of it. You did great. Of course, there are more in your future and PRs to be set. Keep it up. Smile
2010-06-30 11:04 AM

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
Super Solid 1st 70.3!  Great RR ~ great pics!  You did an awesome job Kim! 

2010-06-30 9:52 PM
in reply to: #2953099

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston
Thanks for the great race report.  Way to get your first of many HIMs behind you.  Very solid and a great starting point.  Awesome preparation - I am sure with your consistency you will be even stronger on your next HIM.  Awesome!
2010-07-01 9:26 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
AWESOME JOB!!!!   CONGRATS ON YOUR FIRST!!!
2010-07-01 10:17 AM
in reply to: #2955540

User image

Master
Houston
Congrats on your first HIM! Don't be too hard on yourself, you overcame a lot during the race and the goal for the 1st HIM should always be cross that finish line Great job! 
2010-07-01 6:23 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
Kim ~ You are awesome!  Great first HIM!
2010-07-10 7:56 AM

Round Rock
Silver member
Hey Kim, CONGRATULATIONS!  You finished your first HIM!  As you reminded me on my first race, that should be your goal - and doing the best you can on that day.  Sounds like you had a few issues but knocked them down and the scenery was great to boot.  I am proud of you and you will do nothing but improve on your next race!  Great Job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pacific Crest Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed