Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-07-02 2:29 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Fat or Carbs: Which Is Worse?
Interesting Article...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrew-weil-md/healthy-eating_b_629422.html

Also found reference to one of my favorite bloggers in the article (Dr. Michael Eades).  Bottom line of the article, it's not the fat that is killing you it's all of the refined processed carbs.

2010-07-06 12:35 PM
in reply to: #2958666

User image

Expert
FL
Subject: RE: Fat or Carbs: Which Is Worse?

Yeah, carbs is bad in the way that the traditional Amercan eats them.  Too big of a % of total intake and much of it is very processed. 

2010-07-06 1:20 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Meh...  ounce for ounce, fats have over twice the calories as carbs, so if you are talking obesity then eating a diet that is high in fat will drive the calorie count up faster and lead to more weight gain.   As for the HFCS, sucrose, etc as mentioned in the article, there are studies on both sides of that matter...  The chronic obesity problem is one of lack of calorie consciousness and inactivity...

2010-07-06 1:35 PM

User image

On your right
I really think it matter what the source is.  Carbs from, say, a raw tomato are pretty good for you I bet, while fat from the burger at McDonalds isn't very good.

On the flip side, if you're eating funnel cakes those carbs aren't all that helpful, and an avacado has lots of fat, but it's a healthy one.

Carbs and fats are both good, if they're done properly.  If not, they can both be bad.
2010-07-06 3:00 PM
in reply to: #2963764

User image

Expert
ashort33 - 2010-07-06 1:20 PM

Meh...  ounce for ounce, fats have over twice the calories as carbs, so if you are talking obesity then eating a diet that is high in fat will drive the calorie count up faster and lead to more weight gain.   As for the HFCS, sucrose, etc as mentioned in the article, there are studies on both sides of that matter...  The chronic obesity problem is one of lack of calorie consciousness and inactivity...

While I would agree that the calorie rich fats can be lead to weight gain.  A diet rich in carbohydrates can cause instability in blood sugar which explains the hunger shortly after a high carb meal.  These spikes in blood sugar often lead to diabetes which further destablizes the blood sugar.  Diets high in protein and fat work not only because of how the body reacts to this type of diet through gluconeogenisis. They also work because a diet high in fat and protein have a natural appetite suppression. 

and yes, not all fats are created equal. 
2010-07-06 3:11 PM

User image

Expert

Here is another take from 2002 posted in the NY Times regarding Fat and Carbs.

What if it's all been a big fat lie. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/magazine/what-if-it-s-all-been-a-big-fat-lie.html?sec=health&spon=&pagewanted=1

ETA:  This is a long read but well worth it. 

Edited by Batlou 2010-07-06 3:37 PM

2010-07-06 3:19 PM
in reply to: #2964062

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Batlou - 2010-07-06 3:00 PM
ashort33 - 2010-07-06 1:20 PM

While I would agree that the calorie rich fats can be lead to weight gain.  A diet rich in carbohydrates can cause instability in blood sugar which explains the hunger shortly after a high carb meal.  These spikes in blood sugar often lead to diabetes which further destablizes the blood sugar.  Diets high in protein and fat work not only because of how the body reacts to this type of diet through gluconeogenisis. They also work because a diet high in fat and protein have a natural appetite suppression. 

and yes, not all fats are created equal. 

Don't get me wrong, I agree that too much refined processed foods can spike blood sugar and insulin resistance.  Just saying that the example of the grease laden french fry - its still the grease that makes up most of the calories.  The glycemic index of the tater is high too though.  The article just kinda sounded like an ad for the good doctor's website / plan. 

On the flip side, I do think the food pyramid is bunch of hogwash though - influenced by the powerful corn/wheat/potato/rice and associated refiners of same lobby... (and I'm generally not a conspiracy guy...)

2010-07-06 3:39 PM
in reply to: #2964113

User image

Expert
ashort33 - 2010-07-06 3:19 PM

On the flip side, I do think the food pyramid is bunch of hogwash though - influenced by the powerful corn/wheat/potato/rice and associated refiners of same lobby... (and I'm generally not a conspiracy guy...)

X2! 

2010-07-08 8:29 AM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Love this thread! When I need to lsoe weight, I PERSONALLY get my carbs below 50g a day and make my fat intake up to about 70% of daily calories. Saturated fat and polyunsaturated fat (Omega 3), mostly.
There are NO diseases related to carbohydrate restriction, but there are diseases related to fat and protein restriction. Of course, I agree with the others that said fruit and veggie carbs are much better than processed grain carbs, and I eat plenty of veggies. As athletes, we need more carbs but we can still do our best to get them from the most nutrient-dense source - veggies.
2010-07-08 8:49 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
There is a lot of opinion/anecdotal evidence though not much science (at least cited) on the articles above. That said, both articles mentioned the difference responses on insulin blood levels depending on the type of carbohydrate consumed. Still, I wonder if any of those around here also avoid these "evil" refined sugars when training and racing?

Also, for what I can gather while skimming the articles pretty fast is that those are not directed to active people/athletes but to the general population. I personally don't think this articles applies to a big number of athletes around, specially those going long. A common sense approach which a healthy whole food balanced diet is wise to follow but still, carbs are very important for endurance athletes, particularly those concerned with performance.
2010-07-08 10:02 AM

User image

Expert
Agreed that the bulk of the article would support the typical person who may even have a regular workout regimin.  Going much more than 1.5 hours requires planning and supplimenting glycogen.  I have spoke with several folks that have done century rides or full marathons on a strict low carb/no carb diet.  It can be done but I wonder if they would have performed better by introducing a few carbs into their diet.

I use acceleraid now and have tried the gels a couple of times but they were to sweet and made me more ill than anything.  Although to date my longest event has only lasted just over 2 hours.  Still learning as I go and leaning on one of my more experienced low-carb long course triathletes for advice and help.  Hoping next year to compete in IMLOU.

Regarding the article I appreciate that people are finally starting to acknowlege that the key to good health is not buying up everything in the store that says "Fat Free".  Rather shopping the perimeter finding fresh ingredients including vegi's, meats, dairy, real butter and eggs.  It's those trips up and down the isles where you find the crap that only serves to derail your health.

2010-07-08 10:05 AM
in reply to: #2967830

User image

Expert
JorgeM - 2010-07-08 8:49 AM There is a lot of opinion/anecdotal evidence though not much science (at least cited) on the articles above. 

I would disagree with this statement.  It's a long article but read the entire NY Times story and also go to Dr. Eades blog where you will find much more than anecdotal evidence.  The interesting thing is that most of the science that has led us down that path of fat free and cholesterol free has been nothing but anecdotal.
2010-07-08 11:02 AM
in reply to: #2967830

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
JorgeM - 2010-07-08 8:49 AM There is a lot of opinion/anecdotal evidence though not much science (at least cited) on the articles above. That said, both articles mentioned the difference responses on insulin blood levels depending on the type of carbohydrate consumed. Still, I wonder if any of those around here also avoid these "evil" refined sugars when training and racing?

Also, for what I can gather while skimming the articles pretty fast is that those are not directed to active people/athletes but to the general population. I personally don't think this articles applies to a big number of athletes around, specially those going long. A common sense approach which a healthy whole food balanced diet is wise to follow but still, carbs are very important for endurance athletes, particularly those concerned with performance.

A couple of points: just because something is geared toward the average person doesn't mean it can be ignored by athletes. Yes, athletes need LOTS more carbs than the average person, but that does not mean that long term there may no be consequences as far as overall health and longevity to that very high carb diet for the athlete. We don't have the answer to those questions yet, but it is important to point out that sports performance and health/longevity are NOT the same and what maximizes one usually takes away from the other.  So yes, athletes that want to maximize performance must eat a higher amount of carbs (depending on where they are in the season), but with the understanding that changes to the diet do not occur in a bubble and just because it maximizes performance doesn't mean it's GOOD or OPTIMAL for your overall health.
If I was training for an IM, I would eat a lot of carbs (right before, during, and right after working out). But I would know that it was a temporary situation, and as soon as I was done with that event, I would return to a diet that maximized my health and longevity. Which I personally believe to be natural foods that are fit for human consumption in their most basic form. That includes meat, fish, fruit, veggies, nuts, seeds, and some raw dairy. If it has to be processed first, I eat it in limited amounts (cheese, grains, vegetable oils, and most food that comes in a package with a list of ingredients on it). So like Jorge said, a healthy, well balanced diet. With modifications for sports performance as needed, and then a return to that well balanced diet when training is not high. IMO, a sports performance diet is not a well balanced diet. It is a targeted diet meant to produce something beyond the benefits of a well-balanced, average joe/jane diet for health.
Jessica
2010-07-08 11:38 AM
in reply to: #2968274

User image

Expert
Tri Take Me Away - 2010-07-08 11:02 AM
JorgeM - 2010-07-08 8:49 AM There is a lot of opinion/anecdotal evidence though not much science (at least cited) on the articles above. That said, both articles mentioned the difference responses on insulin blood levels depending on the type of carbohydrate consumed. Still, I wonder if any of those around here also avoid these "evil" refined sugars when training and racing?

A couple of points: just because something is geared toward the average person doesn't mean it can be ignored by athletes. Yes, athletes need LOTS more carbs than the average person, but that does not mean that long term there may no be consequences as far as overall health and longevity to that very high carb diet for the athlete. We don't have the answer to those questions yet, but it is important to point out that sports performance and health/longevity are NOT the same and what maximizes one usually takes away from the other.  So yes, athletes that want to maximize performance must eat a higher amount of carbs (depending on where they are in the season), but with the understanding that changes to the diet do not occur in a bubble and just because it maximizes performance doesn't mean it's GOOD or OPTIMAL for your overall health.
If I was training for an IM, I would eat a lot of carbs (right before, during, and right after working out). But I would know that it was a temporary situation, and as soon as I was done with that event, I would return to a diet that maximized my health and longevity. Which I personally believe to be natural foods that are fit for human consumption in their most basic form. That includes meat, fish, fruit, veggies, nuts, seeds, and some raw dairy. If it has to be processed first, I eat it in limited amounts (cheese, grains, vegetable oils, and most food that comes in a package with a list of ingredients on it). So like Jorge said, a healthy, well balanced diet. With modifications for sports performance as needed, and then a return to that well balanced diet when training is not high. IMO, a sports performance diet is not a well balanced diet. It is a targeted diet meant to produce something beyond the benefits of a well-balanced, average joe/jane diet for health.
Jessica

Well stated.  I would only suggest that using the term "Well-Balanced" diet these days is very open to interpretation.  Some of those that do Atkins read the part about butter and bacon and stop there.  Their diet consist of dipping bacon in butter and then wonder why people think they are nuts.  Those people make me crazy!

Dr. Atkins would define a well balanced diet as one consisting of natural whole foods exactly like the ones you described.  Only for weight loss part of his way of eating you cut back on fruits and vegi's that are higher in carbs only introducing them back in slowly when you reach your goal.
2010-07-08 5:46 PM

User image

Central Massachsettts
In the winters I will put myself into a Keto diet. 65% fat, 30% protein and 5% carbs. My body will eventually in a week or two go into Ketosis and then start using fats as the energy source. First few weeks are tough but once the transformation took place I was good. On this diet i never had suger lows which was interseting. Here's a some good info:

http://stronglifts.com/fat-loss-101-how-to-lose-fat-fast-with-free-fat-loss-diets/
2010-07-21 10:54 AM

New user
Nashville
I'd guess that frequent *high* insulin spikes aren't healthy. I try to eat somewhat paleo. I stay away from sugar with the exception of frozen yogurt once or twice a month and a little extra rich 70%+ dark chocolate. I'm a firm believer that too much sugar is poisonous to our bodies. On the fourth of July, I overindulged in an array of deserts... the next day, I felt absolutely HORRIBLE. Sooo depressed for no reason at all, and heavy fatigue. I decided that it wasn't worth it to eat all that stuff. 
As for sugary fruit... I like melon the most because it has the least amount of sugar. I eat bananas sometimes and green apples every now and then.
For fat, I really don't worry about it that much... I love to cook my eggs in bacon grease. I always include at least one yolk in my omelet. I think the yolk is rich and as much as I like to eat eggs, I feel like I don't need to eat too many yellows. I'm not a huge steak eater, but when I do... I like a fatty ribeye, extra rare and I eat the fat, all of it.  well, that's my contribution.  

2010-07-21 1:04 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA
Neither..   eating too many calories in general is the culprit.

2010-07-22 1:38 PM
in reply to: #2967775

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tri Take Me Away - 2010-07-08 9:29 AM Love this thread! When I need to lsoe weight, I PERSONALLY get my carbs below 50g a day and make my fat intake up to about 70% of daily calories. Saturated fat and polyunsaturated fat (Omega 3), mostly.
There are NO diseases related to carbohydrate restriction, but there are diseases related to fat and protein restriction. Of course, I agree with the others that said fruit and veggie carbs are much better than processed grain carbs, and I eat plenty of veggies. As athletes, we need more carbs but we can still do our best to get them from the most nutrient-dense source - veggies.

really?

read the latest studies on the subject...
2010-07-22 1:40 PM
in reply to: #2995125

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bioteknik - 2010-07-21 2:04 PM Neither..   eating too many calories in general is the culprit.

BINGO!

is not carb, fat or prot that is making you fat, but your overall caloric intake during the day,weeks,months, etc.
2010-07-23 8:31 PM
in reply to: #2998204

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
It's NOT the excess of calories that is the culprit.  It's the type of calories you eat and controlling the insulin response by reducing sugars and refined carbohydrates.

Eat 500 calories a day of twinkies for a month, then 500 calories of fruits / vegies the next month.  Let me know which month you gain more weight in... there both the same caloric intake right???
2010-07-23 9:36 PM
in reply to: #3001451

User image

alexandria, VA
tzcoaching - 2010-07-23 9:31 PM It's NOT the excess of calories that is the culprit.  It's the type of calories you eat and controlling the insulin response by reducing sugars and refined carbohydrates.

Eat 500 calories a day of twinkies for a month, then 500 calories of fruits / vegies the next month.  Let me know which month you gain more weight in... there both the same caloric intake right???

excess calories (no matter where from) = weight gain.  your examples are the same caloric input, so there will be no difference except the nutritional benefits of fruits/veggies over twinkies.  sorry if this came off as harsh, but the insulin response you talk about does not make you gain weight, it makes you hungry, if you dont eat more you won't gain more weight.  calories in - calories out = weight change, no matter where the calories come from.  yes, eating certain foods (like refined carbs and sugars) will make you want to eat more sooner than if you had fruit or vegetables, but if you consume fewer calories then you burn you will lose weight - no matter where the calories come from.

2010-07-24 5:33 PM
in reply to: #3001524

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
No worries, not harsh at all.  Any debate is good debate and hopefully it brings out the real answers!

However, watch this video (I know, silly video but it explains it well).  Take away, "its not about what goes in your mouth, its about what your cells consume", which is controlled by the insulin response...

So in my example, believe me there would be a difference in weight gain in that month.  Don't believe me?  Give it a try and let me know how it goes!
2010-07-24 6:50 PM
in reply to: #3002361

User image

Elite
tzcoaching - 2010-07-24 6:33 PM No worries, not harsh at all.  Any debate is good debate and hopefully it brings out the real answers!

However, watch this video (I know, silly video but it explains it well).  Take away, "its not about what goes in your mouth, its about what your cells consume", which is controlled by the insulin response...

So in my example, believe me there would be a difference in weight gain in that month.  Don't believe me?  Give it a try and let me know how it goes!

The amount of calories consumed though isn't the sole determinant of weight gain.  If the 500 calories of Twinkies person outworks the 500 calories of fruits/veggies, the Twinkies person will weigh less.

There are many twig-like supermodels out there who eat horribly.  What's their secret?  Less calories, more exercise.  Am I advocating their approach?  Heck no.  It's completely unhealthy.

But...the person who is getting the 500 cals. from fruits/veggies vs. Twinkies is going to feel better, be less prone to sugar spikes/crashes, and be in better condition to handle exercise.  Overall, they'll feel better and be healthier.

Neither fats nor carbs are "bad."  There are "bad" carbs and fats though. 

The answer to weight loss is so astoundingly simple...eat nutritious foods.  eat several small meals/day, do not "eat until you're full," stay hydrated with water, exercise!, keep moving/get off your duff.  It really is that simple.

2010-07-27 2:27 PM

I have lost 35 lbs since Feb by cutting carbs.  For four years prior I had lost and gained the same 8 lbs with eating a low fat diet.  My Dr. said that some people are just very "carb sensitive". 
2010-07-27 2:36 PM
in reply to: #3008019

User image

Expert
FL

Becca4277 - 2010-07-27 3:27 PM I have lost 35 lbs since Feb by cutting carbs.  For four years prior I had lost and gained the same 8 lbs with eating a low fat diet.  My Dr. said that some people are just very "carb sensitive". 

If you are on a Atkins type of diet with the low carb diet just be watchful as you come off of it.  In many cases, the body decides to pack on the weight as carbs are reintroduced. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fat or Carbs: Which Is Worse? Rss Feed  

of 2