DRC Sports
76F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 18m 28s
Overall Rank = 71/225
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 10/13
Pre-race routine:

Didn't feel very good yesterday...I suspect related to the leftover sloppy joe I had for breakfast. Slept an extra 25 minutes from my original plan. Had honey-raisin Cheerios for breakfast. Took a banana with for the drive, but couldn't stand the though of eating anything more. Got to the race site around 6:00 and registration was already open. Unfortunately, I had to make a bathroom stop before checking in, thus relegating me to spot #2 on my rack.
Event warmup:

Swam a bit more than usual, mostly at warmup pace with a few sprints thrown in. Went out to the yellow buoys, across and then back to shore twice. I'm call BS on the announced water temperature. Felt more like 86+.
Swim
  • 08m 13s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Given the mess I got into in the last race, I decided to accept that I cannot out-sprint the aggressive starters and took the start slow and wide to the left. Unfortunately, about a dozen other swimmers had the same idea, lining up outside the cones. After jostling around and wasting time for the first 50 yards, I made a left turn and got to the very outside of the swimmers. This became my passing lane, as I was continuously gliding by swim caps on my right for the rest of the swim. I took the entire course about 15 yards wide, which probably had me swimming close to 500 yards. However, after the first 75, I was in clear water the whole time.
What would you do differently?:

Try to line up even farther left. I wasted at least 30 seconds getting into a position where I could swim normally.
Transition 1
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

A totally unremarkable transition. 7/13 AG. 74/225 OA.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 41m 52s
  • 15 miles
  • 21.50 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a reasonably good bike. There were very few people in sight when I came out of transition. At one point between the 2 & 3-mile markers, I could see only one rider ahead and no riders behind me (on a straight section about a half-mile between curves). Also, nobody passed me during the first five miles. There was enough wind today to make itself noticed, and I decided to push pretty hard on the outbound upwind leg. Passed a pack of drafters (maybe 6 of them) just before the turn-around. They came back by me just after the turn when I took too long to get back up to speed (taking a drink, stretching arms/shoulders). Since it was rather difficult to get around them (riding at least 2-wide at all times), I hung out about behind them for the next 3 miles. About 12-15 meters behind them, in case the motorcycle came by and decided to hand out penalties to everyone. By the time we got to the bridge, I realized that I wasn't working very hard at all, so I bumped a gear higher and dropped the hammer. Never dropped below 24mph for the rest of the ride.

Try to keep a more consistent speed. Stay ahead of the pack at the turnaround and worry about comfort when the race is over.
Transition 2
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

Took it easy coming in, as I was a little worried about how hard I pushed my legs at the end of the bike. Things felt good after a few steps, so I picked up the pace once inside the racks area. Otherwise, another wholly unremarkable transition. 7/13 AG. 60/225 OA.

Nothing.
Run
  • 26m 34s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

My time here was a little disappointing, but still perfectly acceptable. I was hoping to set a new PR pace here, but between not feeling 100% and the hard push at the end of the bike, my legs just didn't have that last extra gear. It was still cloudy and the first half was upwind, so staying cool wasn't the challenge it could have been. I kept my pace pretty steady throughout.

Although I didn't know it at the time, I was in 4th place for my age group coming out of T2 (2:05 separated 4th through tenth). It was a bit demoralizing, though, to watch 4 guys in my age group go by within the first quarter mile.

I just need to get faster. Still frustrating to be BOP for my AG, but I'm a full minute faster per mile than last year, and still improving.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water, used the outdoor shower and changed my clothes. Wandered around until transition opened, and then got out of there on the double. Home at 10:35.

Event comments:

Another good race at Crystal River. This race was a PR by 0.5 seconds. Overall placing represents my excel file which has the relay teams removed.

Last updated: 2010-03-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:13 | 440 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/13
Overall: 78/225
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:01
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:52 | 15 miles | 21.50 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/13
Overall: 43/225
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:34 | 03 miles | 08m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/13
Overall: 135/225
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-07-04 1:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Port Richey, FL
Subject: Crystal River Sprint Triathlon #2

2010-07-05 10:16 AM
in reply to: #2960712

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Crystal River Sprint Triathlon #2

Nice job out there!!  Sooper fast running...well for me that is lightening speed   Not attainable.  Its a nice race

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Crystal River Sprint Triathlon #2 Rss Feed