Ft. Collins, CO
United States
HOTF / 0C
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Met Ryan (Himself) at the packet pickup and we did a brief ride of the course on Saturday. We met at Olive Garden and had some pasta at about 7:00 for our pre-race meal.

Sunday morning I met Ryan and Jon (Det) and we headed over to the transition area. Until then, I had been verrryy relaxed. After getting marked and setting up my transition area though, I started getting butterflies about the size of pterodactyls. Headed to the bathroom and then on the way out to check out the pool I ran into my wife who wasn't able to get there until just before I got in line to start the swim.

Event warmup:

Swam a couple laps to get loosened up and then got in line for the start.
Swim
  • 08m 28s
  • 450 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

I took off and felt fairly confident, but got passed by 3 people on my 3rd lap.

I really don't know what my problem w/ the swim was. I just felt out of sync. Maybe I was too concerned w/ going fast instead of going smooth. I even incorporated a zipper drill and some fingertip drags to get me to focus on my form, but in the end my time was only 15 seconds slower than the last race I did here in May.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe do some more warmup laps before the swim? Obviously, I still need to work on my technique, so maybe I'll continue with what I'm already doing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

Number belt on, socks and shoes on, glasses and helmet on. Get out and get on the bike.

Transition felt kind of slow and I think I could have moved a bit more quickly if I had been more organized. Looking at everyone else's T1 times, I was in the right ball park. Realistically, I think I should be able to do the transition in about a minute flat.

Practice both of my transitions as part of my training routine.
Bike
  • 38m 49s
  • 13 miles
  • 20.09 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt really good on the bike from the get go. Worked hard and made it a point to take in a fair amount of my Gatorade\water to be hydrated for the run, but also made sure I quit drinking w/ about 2 miles to go so I wouldn't cramp up on the run.

Performance wise, not much; I might have been able to push a bit harder, but that might have sacrificed too much of my run time.

I gotta get a road bike - Anybody got a Felt S32 that needs a good home? :)
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Racked the bike and ripped my helmet off w/ a quickness, but had some trouble tying my shoes. Here's me to myself "...bunny goes around the hill and through the hole...no double knot it you idiot. How's that go again? Are those really my fingers? Why the hell can't I tie my own shoes? There we go, okay legs do your thing!!"

Gotta get some yankz or find some other ways to secure my shoes to my feet.
Run
  • 21m 38s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

First mile of the run was tough until two ladies caught me. They looked like they were pretty comfortable and I decided to tag along which probably turned out to be my best decision of the race. I didn't feel ready to pick up the pace, but did it anyway.

As we passed the aid station at 1.5 miles a girl w/ a garden hose sprayed us down and my stride almost immediately lengthened.

We all 3 ran side by side for the next 1/2 mile when one of the girls dropped off. The other girl and I continued on and we seemed to continually pick up the pace every couple minutes until I was breathing pretty hard. When I figured we had about a 1/2 mile left, I turned it up a notch and begin my final push. Realized I was by myself and kept on pushing hard. Saw a blurry figure that was yelling just like my wife (hey, that is my wife) and picked up the pace more until I crossed the finish line.

Nothing. I definitely need to learn to push myself on the run though. My body was ready to pick up the pace long before my brain was.
Post race
Warm down:

The 2nd lady I ran with finished not too long after I did and I thanked her for pushing me. I would have run alot slower if she and the other girl hadn't pushed/pulled me along.

Grabbed an orange, a banana and a gatorade and walked back to Rachelle (wife) to cheer on Ryan and Jon.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

-Swim technique
-Less than perfect mental organization for my transitions
-My own mental hesitation to push harder sooner.

Event comments:

I love this race. It's got very friendly atmosphere for first timers and beginners like myself and yet still seems to attract some very fast people too.

Last updated: 2005-07-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:28 | 450 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 106/
Performance: Average
Suit: Performance Tri Shorts
Course: Snake swim: 1 person after another every 10 seconds
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:37
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:38:49 | 13 miles | 20.09 mile/hr
Overall: 115/
Wind: None
Course: 3 Loops along a fast course w/ some minor hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:38 | 03.1 miles | 06m 59s  min/mile
Overall: 46/
Course: Nice loop course through clean, quiet neighborhood streets.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-07-11 3:22 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Ft. Collins Club Triathlon

2005-07-11 3:43 PM
in reply to: #195148

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: RE: Ft. Collins Club Triathlon
Great race man! You hit that 7 min. mile just like you wanted. Heck, you were 6:59 - even better!! Like you, my body was ready to move faster long before it had my brain's permission. Live and learn, but you were rockin it out there anyway! Oh, and 20 mph on your MB is nothing to shy away from either.
2005-07-11 5:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Hey man not fair. You must be some kind of mutant to av 19 something (oh my bad, 20!!!) on a mountain bike! Good job on the top ten.

Edited by Det 2005-07-11 5:16 PM
2005-07-11 8:29 PM

User image

Regular
Eagle, CO
Great job Ben! A sub 7 min mile and a 20 mph avg on a mountain bike!!! Get yourself some swim fins and a road bike and you'll be going to Kona soon
2005-07-11 11:15 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Sounds like a great race! I can't wait to do it in September? Are you going to be at that one?

Melanie
2005-07-12 3:03 PM
in reply to: #195566

User image

Expert
Yup, I'll be there!!! I'm hoping we'll have Himself, Det and RacerX there too. And anyone else who wants to join us.

2005-07-13 11:24 AM
in reply to: #196328

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Nice races for all of you guys!!

TFT - Sub-7 minute pace on the run, and 20 mph on a MTB is ridiculously fast! Nice job.

After watching the July race, my wife now wants to do the September race, so we'll have to find you guys in September to meet and say hi.

Thanks for the encouragement on my race too.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ft. Collins Club Triathlon Rss Feed