Canada
25C / 77F
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 30m 4s
Overall Rank = 588/859
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 41/67
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30 a.m. and had breakfast with my mom - a bagel with peanut butter and banana and a coffee. Also had a Gu drink and a gel before leaving the house. Getting up early was good so we were all relaxed and not rushed.
Event warmup:

Walk to start line.
Run
  • 4h 30m 4s
  • 42.2 kms
  • 06m 24s  min/km
Comments:

My hubby (2T2) and I were going to do this race together but sadly he was shipped off to Afghanistan so with three weeks notice my mom decided to take his place. My mom had no concept of how far 42 kilometers was but she learned fast. This was her first marathon and her first race of any kind. I read in a recent race summary someone mentioned that they pack imodium - well all I have to say is thank you to whomever you are!! After 3 washrooms stops at the first 3 aid stations I took the imodium and it got me through the rest of the race. Mom had to stop at 12 k due to a large bad blister on the back of her heel so we put two bandaids on it and off we went again. So needless to say when I looked at my pace band we were behind but somehow we picked it up and finished right on time. Calgary puts on an excellent marathon and every 3 k there were aid stations and lots of entertainment through out the course. The roads in Bowness leading into the park were horrible so you really had to watch where you were running and remember to pick up your feet. The tounge in my runners kept moving and now my foot is quite tender and swollen at the top - very strange as it never happened before. Mom and I stuck it out together the whole way and it was an awesome experience overall if you put aside the blisters and stomach problems. I was pretty much finished at the 40k mark and I couldn't wait to get it over with. At 41k there is the biggest hill of the whole course but the good thing is that you get to run down itn and through the finish line! I would do this race again in a heartbeat! I only took 2 gatoraide cups during the race but took water at every station and drank all the water in my fuel belt - it was the perfect amount. I also figured that I would need 6 gels which was perfect as well. They had two gel stations at the 15K and the 30k mark.
What would you do differently?:

Train!!!!! I am in so much pain, I can't even tell you where I hurt other than my entire lower body. Also, we had a big family feast for dinner the night before and I ate lots of Polish food that I don't normally eat which caused me problems in the morning. I just couldn't pass up my Grandma's cabbage rolls!
Post race
Warm down:

We walked a few blocks and did some stretches while we waited for my dad to pick us up. Sadly we had to wait over an hour because he was waiting for us at the finish line but we beat him to it. Mom was not impressed but I thought it was a very sweet of my Dad. He even took a picture of the finish line but sadly we aren't in it - lol.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stomach problems, pain on top of the foot. I thought it would be my mom but she proved me wrong! I am so proud of her!

Event comments:

The food at the end was the worst I have seen for any race I've been in - all they had were bananas, watermelon and oranges. Maybe they had more for the other races but that was all that was there when we arrived? You could buy a hamburger but they were $2 and I didn't carry any money with me during the race and in all honesty I couldn't stomach one at that point.

I ordered Chuckwagon tickets with my marathon package (Mom opted out and I went with a friend) We left for the Stampede grounds in the late afternoon and the Chuckwagon/Grandstand show started at 8 p.m. I didn't get back home until close to 1:00 a.m. so it was a looong day but a great one.

Last updated: 2005-07-11 12:00 AM
Running
04:30:04 | 42.2 kms | 06m 24s  min/km
Age Group: 41/67
Overall: 67/859
Performance: Average
Course: The course starts at Mewata Armoury heading towards downtown Calgary and then through the heart of the Stampede Grounds followed by a trip to the Calgary Zoo where you can see the animals waking up. The course then heads down Memorial Drive to Bowness Park and when you hit the 30K mark in Bowness Park they have a huge sign and balloon arch that says "You have just hit the wall" once you run under the arch there is another large sign that says "You have concured the wall". It made me chuckle and I had to explain what hitting the wall meant to my mom - she is so cute! After that you head back to Mawata Armoury.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-07-11 10:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Albert
Subject: Calgary Stampede Marathon

2005-07-12 7:49 AM
in reply to: #195544

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: RE: Calgary Stampede Marathon
First, I'm sorry to hear your hubby had to go to Afganistan...hope he won't be gone for too long!  Second, I'm not sure but did your mom actually run this race with you??  On a whim?  Is she a runner?  I can't imagine running a marthon without training for it -WOW.  Great job pushing through the blisters and stomach problems.  BTW-it's "carbo-load", not cabbage-load before a big race
2005-07-12 3:34 PM

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC
Thats just crazy!
Good work out there.
How did your mom do it?
Thats a feat in itself.
Godspeed to your husband.
2005-07-12 6:44 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Hey Carolyn,

Great marathon. That's a really good time even with all the hiccups. Just think of what you will be capable of next year. Congrats to your mom too.

I hope that you are taking some time off now. Are you home in Victoria? I just got home from a weekend away and I haven't had a chance to check out your blog yet.

Too bad about the post race food since everything else was so well organized. Why not fire off a nice email to the race organizers with your suggestions about food post-race?

Jen
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Calgary Stampede Marathon Rss Feed