United States
HFP Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 24s
Overall Rank = 151/363
Age Group = F 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/14
Pre-race routine:

Got up showered, loaded the bike on the car - seriously you'd think I would remember by now how to use the bungee cords to secure my bike, but nope, I still always look like a monkey cranking a football trying to secure my bike. I ate a banana and 2 special K cereal bars en route to the race - note to self - this was not enough food. I came out of the swim and my stomach sounded like king kon roaring.
Event warmup:

Talked with CincyTodd and friends Mike and Teresa (not on BT). Went down got in the water and swam a few strokes. The water was actually very warm, although, as soon as I got out to wait for my wave to start - I was cold - and it was evident...I guess this California girl will always be cold coming out of the water and apparently my chest wants the world to know that.
Swim
  • 15m 6s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim has been inciting some anxiety for me last couple of races, I think in part because I have not been spending as much time in the pool. I actually was pleased with my citing as I was acutally on course and was able to pass a few people and get into open water and just swim, but I did have a couple of panic moments, at one point I did the crawl stroke to relax, WTF? I have never done the crawl, not sure where that came from, I felt like one of the blue hairs at the Y and told myself to HTFU and started swimming again. The swim seemed short...
What would you do differently?:

More time in the pool and an OWS session every now and again might be nice to help relieve some of the anxiety.
Transition 1
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

I came, I transitioned, I went.

Nada.
Bike
  • 43m 57s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 16.97 mile/hr
Comments:

This bike was fun! I'm acutally a little disappointed because I thought I was moving a bit faster then that but it is what it is. This pace seems about average for me - I seem to push in the 16-17 mph range fairly consistently so I guess I shouldn't be disappointed. I passed a few people and got passed by a few. This hills weren't bad and I was able to keep my breathing in check - no monkey mating breathing here like there was at the Miami tri. I was having some problems shifting, and my bike kept hopping gears when I was in my big ring which was pissing me off. I guess I need to figure out how to make some adjustments on my bike - yeah, yeah, I know, I should know the mechanics of it...blah, blah, blah.

I need to spend more time in the saddle...that's all.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

Heh, heh, I don't want to grow up, I'm a triathlete kid...still no big girl bike shoes so I can fly through this transition. hop off bike, run bike to rack, rack bike, throw helmet down...gone.

Nil
Run
  • 27m 7s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

It was hot on that levy! I wasn't prepared for the uphill start but once I got moving and thankfully most of it was in the shade, I was fine. Ha ha, so I was on my way back in and had been behind this guy in these obscenely small bright blue striped spandex shorts (this was not a pretty site - just saying) and one of the DT3 guys and we finally got to a place where we could pass. The DT3 guys says to the guy in the blue shorts go ahead and pass and so I follow and I hear the DT3 guy say very disappointly "oh god" as I passed them both...whatever that guy should have run faster if he didn't want me to pass him because I run as slow as hippos mating.

I think me mental game was off here - I've had a few training runs in the last two weeks go awry because of the heat and humidity and I think that took away from my ability to push myself mentally. I still completed the run in under 9:00 miles which is better than my average training pace, I guess I'm just one of those people that runs better off the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some water and stood with Mike while we watched and yelled for Teresa as she finished. I walked with them over to transition and walked my bike over to their car. M&T apparently have some extra stuff lying around at home (aero bars, wheels etc.) and want to make some upgrades to my bike!!!! So incredibly awesome and unbelievably nice of them. I'm really excited! After M & T left with my bike, I talked to several other folks and ate a couple of PB&J sandwiches. Results were posted and HOLY COW! I got 3rd place in my AG and picked up some hardware...again?!?!?! After Maumee Bay I was preparing myself so that I wouldn't be disappointed when I came in MOP, but guess I didn't need to do that since I took third. Overall I felt like it was a good race, my total time was only 2 minutes slower than Maumee and Caesar Creek had hills on both the bike and run which Maumee had on neither. So yippee.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I feel like my training hasn't had a lot of pop lately, I need to work on that and last week ended up being one of my lightest training weeks ever...but I'm ready to get back to it hot and heavy.

Last updated: 2010-07-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:06 | 820 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/14
Overall: 0/363
Performance: Average
Suit: No Wetsuit
Course:
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:16
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:43:57 | 12.43 miles | 16.97 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/14
Wind: Little
Course: Rural roads
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:07 | 03.11 miles | 08m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/14
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-07-12 11:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Subject: Caesar Creek Sprint Triathlon

2010-07-12 12:15 PM
in reply to: #2975070

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
Subject: RE: Caesar Creek Sprint Triathlon
You should hire a carpenter to build a nice display case for all your awards. You might need a storage shed at this rate.

Good job beating up all those other young girls.

If you havent done so already , try to mix in some shorter high intensity workouts. Hill workouts are good for both running and biking because it is sometimes hard to make yourself run/bike faster but you always have to work harder going uphill. The only downside is the pretty bars on the training log dont grow as fast when you go shorter but harder.
2010-07-12 9:53 PM
in reply to: #2975070

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: RE: Caesar Creek Sprint Triathlon
Congrats on a great race and a podium finish!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Caesar Creek Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed