United States
5430 Sports Corp.
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 08m 44s
Overall Rank = 906/1363
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 88/115
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:30, had a small breakfast and aiming for 4am departure. Waited until 4:15 to see if Douglas would make it to carpool up, but he was delayed by some wheel issues so I drove solo. Got into the park at 5:10, and it was already pretty busy.
No drive time tunes of note this time around, inspirational or otherwise.
Got transition set up, saw Kathleen, Keri, and eventually Douglas. Looked for baldbuyer and trimama, then diverted to the porta line
Event warmup:

Nothing to speak of...watched the jumpers come down from the porta line, then got down to the water and swam a few before joining the wave 6 group on the beach when the 3rd wave went off.
Swim
  • 27m 6s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started on the far right, and made an effort to stay outside of the group, which a couple of other guys were also doing. Made a conscious effort not to push too hard the 1st half, although course corrections burned some of that energy; unlike the sprint, I wasn't nearly so far off course for the outbound segment. Before the yellow turn buoy I noticed some powder blue and red caps in the water, while most of the really fast guys in my group were well ahead. I also noticed well before the turn that the group was pretty stretched out, and there wasn't a large number of swimmers to sight on.
Despite having to swim straight into the sun, I sighted better going out than headed for shore. Once I was inbound, I spotted a cluster of lite blue caps, and thought to sight off them but somehow, ended up wide left...just like in the sprint. Constant course corrections as I popped my head up periodically probably cost me a minute, and when I was within 200m of the beach I looked up to find a kayak paddling next to me; when I turned to see how far off course I was, he said "hey, you're doing great!" and I thought 'dude you have no idea'.
Hit the sand with my fingertips, stood up and jogged up to T1...skittered through both hoses and bypassed the wading pools headed toward transition.
What would you do differently?:

The hindsight from the sprint paid off on this swim, I'd like to be a bit higher w/in the group but Rome wasn't built in a day. I have the strength and a decent stroke, just need a straighter line.
More effort to triangulate between pods of swimmers and the buoys. If I can do this, I can get out of the water at least a minute faster, with no additional energy spent.
Transition 1
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

I knew this took longer than last month - I was racked on the far side from the swim entrance, and felt like I was fumbling a little with the gear when I got there, probably because of the wetsuit hanging up a little on the timing chip; likewise fumbled with number/helmet/glasses slightly, nothing to lose sleep over.

Practice T1, which I don't see in the schedule between now and August
Bike
  • 1h 32m 5s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 17.01 mile/hr
Comments:

Recurrance of the theme, I have no climbing legs. From the false flat until the beginning of The Hill, a remarkable number of bikes passed me by, even as I passed several myself. Granted, a lot of them were guys on flat frames and wearing funny hats, but more than a couple were half my age and weight...probably putting out half the effort too.
Oddly, an odd solace was on The Hill, walking bikes up in a stream (even saw a few people just stopped. Really? Its a race, the clock's running, get your butt in gear!), which just motivated to climb and continue. Yes, I granny-geared most of it, and grumbled about the subsequent little climbs since my legs were now pretty blown. Grabbed a water bottle at the top and soaked my back thoroughly, it felt great.
Going down the back side of The Hill was a rush, the guy across the road from the Sheriff shouted something as I went by but the odo said 33-34 when I glanced down, so all good. Left Hand Canyon was shady, and cool, esp. with the wet jersey. By mile 15 I noticed I was draining the mounted bottle so grabbed the water bottle from my frame to refill...as I'm squeezing the water with my left hand, the right aero arm pad snaps in the middle and leaves me with no support for 11 more miles. crap, and oh well.
At around mile 21-ish, right after the turn on Jay Road and brand new clean-looking pavement, my front tire caught something and made a big-ass firecracker pop, and I spent the next minute watching for it to go down flat. But it didn't, so I tried to focus and having a better run. hehe, still makes me laugh inside!

Hills, hills, more hills, and strength training for the climbing muscles.
Also, in hindsight, I probably consumed more fluids than necessary during the ride even though I had tried to Friday and Saturday to re-hydrate from a week in the mountains. Paid for it during the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

Not bad I guess, paused after shoes and hat to take an extra bottle swig, and decided to leave the Nathan bottle pack behind. Can't afford to do that next month.

If there's an inkling to tinkle, it won't go away. Take the time hit in transition, because a mile was a long time to wait, especially since you can see the porta next to the aid tent for over a half mile across the dam - and see all the other folks who made the same mistake, getting relief before you.
Run
  • 1h 05m 36s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Early into the run, the toes on my right foot went numb. That kinda sucked, but my back didn't hurt too bad and I had no foot pain, or IT band pain, or any other pain. Just numb toes, and no idea why. Never felt that off the bike before.
While my legs were moving in 'running mode' it felt pretty good, unfortunately I had to listen to my body and take the stride breaks when called for. I had a few Gu chews left from the bike that I'd though to grab, and felt the pickup after those went down, but didn't have enough to wash them down adequately. Yes, eat them before the aid stations.
The other reason I mentioned hydration above was somewhere around mile 4 or 5, I got an odd 'fuzzy' feeling in my forearms, not unlike a flu onset can feel. I'd been taking drink and soaking my head at each aid station, at the last one took extra time to drink more and soak more - seemed like a good decision when a guy 100 yards up the line did a slow controlled collapse in the middle of the dam. It was hot out there, as usual.

Run more. Run further. Run more consistently. Follow an actual running plan. Get a running coach. Gosh, this list could go on forever....
Void while in transition, or add the time to the run. I think the pee break cost me ~1 minute, or 10 seconds/mile. Just sayin'...
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for a while, went to see about massage but the line was long, and not moving - unlike the food and the beer. So I ate, and had a Pils, and laffed at the non-participant who asked the Left Hand girl if she had a Bud Light.
Also talked to Keri, talked to Kathleen, checked results and then saw transition was open so got out of Dodge...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the usual...

Event comments:

Best I've been in, but I don't have ten events under my belt yet.

Last updated: 2009-12-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:06 | 1640 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 19/115
Overall: 231/1363
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: clockwise rectangular
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:21
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:32:05 | 26.1 miles | 17.01 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/115
Overall: 0/1363
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:38
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:05:36 | 06.21 miles | 10m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/115
Overall: 0/1363
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back around the South end of the Reservoir.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-07-12 7:51 PM

User image

Master
Highlands Ranch
Subject: Boulder Peak Triathlon

2010-07-13 12:41 AM
in reply to: #2976492

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Boulder Peak Triathlon
Oh, I've soooo done that race. Well, except for the fast swim! Two years ago, I hit something on the diagonal and spent the rest of the ride back to the res staring at my front tire to see if it was going to go flat or not. Last year, I had a complete bonk and misery on the run. All those spectators the last half mile kept cheering, "come on, you can do it, you're almost there"...I would try to run two steps and be like, nope...can't do it. I literally cried shuffling through the finish, it sucked so bad! The good news is that redemption was had this year, it wasn't a perfect race, but it was a PR, and it was good enough.

Sorry I missed you, I was in wave 2, so we cleared out of transition pretty early to head down to the beach!
2010-07-13 9:07 AM

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
Nice job Steve!!  Glad you didn't wipe out when the aeropad broke.  I could feel the heat reading your report -- a sponge was my best friend on the long course run last year.
2010-07-13 4:09 PM

User image

, North Carolina

I've never done the Peak but I've done the Sprint and the HIM on the Boulder course.  I've had a flat, couldn't tolerate my nutrition, got sick on the swim, and cried at the finish.  Last year Jim said I was absolutely green at the start of my second loop of the run.  That being said, I'd have been out there again this year if I wasn't trying to nurse my body back to good health.

I think it would be nice if they'd plant just one tree for shade on the run course!

Awesome job out there on a very hot day.

2010-07-14 8:38 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Nice job Steve!  The run course for the Peak is always just brutally hot!  Yes, a run coach can help your running but what he's going to tell is is to put in more miles.  don't need to pay a coach for that. 
2010-07-14 10:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Great race, Steve!  Tough course and hot too.  The trick to running is quality workouts.  Once you have a base (which you do), you need to throw in workouts that challenge your body and make it improve.  See tempo runs.  Speed workouts are great but risky.  Hills are good too but not to be overdone.  Next time you do a long run, pick up the pace for a few miles in the middle. 

2010-07-14 11:05 AM

User image

New user

Nice job! Glad I wasn't the only one who got yelled at on the downhill off of old stage without being over the limit, definitely a moment of panic.
2010-07-14 8:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Firestone, CO
I thought they yelled at me too... Great swim! I have broken one of my armrests also. If its a Profile Design call them up and they will replace them for free. Congrats
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Boulder Peak Triathlon Rss Feed