Big Shark
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 00m 30s
Overall Rank = 252/547
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 26/48
Pre-race routine:

yogurt, banana and coffee. Funny, my 18 year old daughter decided to come and watch me (very cool!) and bought a donut on the way. When we got to the site she said she couldn't eat that with all the fit athletes walking around :-). She is very thin and could have gotten away with it :-)
Event warmup:

A short swim and a jog back to T1 to get my ear plugs. I always forget them until I'm about to swim.
Swim
  • 22m 13s
  • 1094 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

Longest OWS yet and I was pretty comfortable. I did take in some water a couple times when I sighted. I swam pretty straight (for me) but I need to breathe different when I sight.
What would you do differently?:

I stopped a couple times to collect myself even though I wasn't tired. I need to not stop just like I try to make myself not walk on the run.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

T1 is a guess because they messed up the mats. No big deal. The bikes we racked a little close so I couldn't stand on my towel. I sat down to put on my socks which probably cost me a few seconds. No big deal.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 59m 28s
  • 20 miles
  • 20.18 mile/hr
Comments:

My bike speed has been improving every week (first year of road biking). My goal was 20 mph average. I was at 22 on the way out so I knew I had a tailwind and kicked it up to 23 (fast for me). Tried to maintain 18 on the way back. I passed a bunch of people (so they would feel good passing me on the run). It's fun passing people 10, 15, and 20 years younger than me. Then I hear the whoosh of someone passing me fast, 58 on his calf. I think his wife with a 53 passed me a bit earlier. Very inspirational that I can do this for another 15 or more years if I choose to.

Just keep putting on the miles. I'm not at full speed yet and I'm not fast enough to buy speed. If I spent a couple grand on wheels, I could have moved from 252 to 239 overall and 2 places in my age group. I need to keep working on the engine.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Kept it simple. My goal was under a minute.

Nothing
Run
  • 35m 50s
  • 4 miles
  • 08m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I was hot and I run slow. My number one goal was not to walk no matter how slow I ran. It was very tempting to walk, but I never did. There were sprinklers set up (which I ran through), lots of people walking, etc. I was running slow though. I passed walkers that passed me when they started running, then I passed them when they walked, over and over.

I did have some lower GI cramping. I was drinking water with Nuun on the bike and that wasn't sitting well. I planned to drink when thirsty until the last 5 miles, but I stopped drinking at the halfway point. It just wasn't sitting right. I wonder if the couple gulps of lake water I took in on the swim messed me up. I did see some floating nasty stuff on my practice swim the day before.

I need to run more. I have a 1/2 mary in October and start ramping this week.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank lots of water and gatorade. Chit chatted with my daughter. I was so excited she came to watch me. Really a cool event.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The engine. I'm happy being MOP though. Never been an athlete, so every tri is an accomplishment for me.

Event comments:

The race was very well done. The volunteers were awesome. I thanked the ones I had the energy to thank.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-06-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:13 | 1094 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/48
Overall: 0/547
Performance: Good
Suit: tri shorts and top
Course: Swam the perimeter of a small warm lake.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 86F / 30C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:59:28 | 20 miles | 20.18 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Flat with several 90 degree turns. The course was well marked with plenty of volunteers. Tail wind on the way out, you know what that means on the way back.....
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:35:50 | 04 miles | 08m 58s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: flat, very flat
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %3
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-07-12 9:32 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: Big Shark New Town Triathlon

2010-07-14 12:00 AM
in reply to: #2976734

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Big Shark New Town Triathlon
Nice race!  Great bike, Great transition times, and I wish my slow run was that fast!
2010-07-16 4:11 PM
in reply to: #2976734

User image

Modesto, California
Subject: RE: Big Shark New Town Triathlon
Good race, a pretty solid effort!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Shark New Town Triathlon Rss Feed