Morrisville, NC
United States
Set-upinc.com
Total Time = 1h 22m 42s
Overall Rank = 216/593
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 21/59
Pre-race routine:

My son decided to come along on this Tri adventure. We headed East to Raleigh around 3 on Saturday. I picked up my packet and met Jeff (jkbostic) at Inside-Out sports around 4:45. I drooled over the Cervelo's and the Felt's. We headed out to the race site to meet Tom (tpeterson02). Checked out the swim course, drove (car) the bike course and run course. Then it was on the hotel. I checked in and they gave us a Suite w/whirlpool bath,fridge,dishwasher,etc...Whooo Hooo!!! (Later that night, I ran into one of my Tri Club members who just so happened to have some perks at this hotel and he said he upgraded all our Tri Club members to Suites!) SWEET!
Event warmup:

Arrived at the race site around 6:30, got my chip and body marked, set up my T area, and took a 10 min slow jog to warm up the legs. Ran into Jeff and we both swam 100 yards or so to warm up.
Swim
  • 13m 6s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was in the 7th of 14 waves. There were about 80 racers in our wave. My plan was to draft off our Tri Club president. He is a strong swimmer. We started on the left side (away from the bouys) Well, when the horn sounded, he took off...I mean, he sprinted and toasted me..oh well, so I settled into my rhythm and on my first sighting I'm way over to the left! Damn, I need to go right! So I adjusted, but each successive sighting I'm too far left! Damn I can't swim straight! I continued this zig-zag motion untill maybe the last 150 yards. Out of the water, looked at my watch..13min and I was hoping for 12...
What would you do differently?:

Gotta learn to swim straighter...this probably means get the bilateral breathing thing working and learn how to sight without stopping to do breast stroke. I'm going to rate this swim average because it was my second OW swim. I could have gone around 60sec faster with my race day effort if I swam straight!
Transition 1
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

I come running through the 1000+ bikes knowing mine is in the 3rd to the last row on the right...I get there and don't see my bike!!!??? Holy Crap!! I look a little closer and I see it's on the ground. Some mofo knocked it down in a rush to get out! Luckily, my glasses were still in the helmet. Now that would have been crazy doing the bike without my glasses!!! I see my son as I leave T1 - He's giving me the thumbs-up. Other than that T1 was normal.

Chase down that mofo and...
Bike
  • 41m 55s
  • 15 miles
  • 21.47 mile/hr
Comments:

I feel this was my strongest bike yet! Those 375 miles in June's bike challenge payed off. The distance must be off, because I know I can't go 21+ mph (yet!). I wasted about 20 full seconds at the mount line due to a whole crap load of people and because I couldn't get my left foot in the cage! I promise myself this month I AM GETTING CLIPLESS PEDALS AND SHOES FOR MY BIKE! I passed lots of riders and several passed me.

Maybe I could have just mounted my pedals without the cages and later hook up to at least get the bike rollin'. Grrrrr!!! Overall, I am very pleased with the bike segment.
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

Dismounted and ran with the bike about 100 yards in a crowd of people. I passed several people here. Racked my bike, took off the helmet, took one more sip of Gatoraide, grabbed my race belt and off I went. Legs felt good, but I was hot!

Nada...
Run
  • 24m 36s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Worst run yet!! I just couldn't get it going... I was sooo hot. I was hoping to do around 22 because my bricks had been in the 23 range..Just dissapointed here. I can't blame the knee..it did hurt, but this is just 3.1 miles! and I was pushing through the pain. I just ran out of energy. I guess I need to start taking those gel things...

.......... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm .......... get it together and run like I can!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Met my son and drank a few sodas. Put my head under the outside cold shower! Talked trash with Jeff and some of my Tri Club members...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Zig-Zag swimming and sucky running!!!

Event comments:

My son and I packed up my gear and headed back to the SWEET suite and took a shower and then it was off to Mike (HookedOnTri) and Sara's pad to lounge around and drink Yuengling! Thanks again to Mike and Sara for the excellent food! I enjoyed meeting all the BT'ers! Can't wait to do it again! ROCK ON!!

Last updated: 2005-06-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:06 | 820 yards | 01m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/59
Overall: 126/593
Performance: Average
Suit: TYR tri suit and DeSoto top
Course: Triangle shape. Clockwise turns.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:56
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:41:55 | 15 miles | 21.47 mile/hr
Age Group: 23/59
Overall: 229/593
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: cloverleaf shaped with long sloping hills.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:36 | 03.1 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 32/59
Overall: 330/593
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2005-07-12 10:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winston-Salem, NC
Subject: Triangle Tri

This is race is in the books, so now it's time for Team Yuengling to Shine!!

Edited by WakeMan 2005-07-12 10:19 AM

2005-07-12 11:58 AM
in reply to: #195888

User image

Expert
Seattle WA
Subject: RE: Triangle Tri
Wow - I think you had an amazing race! I can only wish I could run 8-minute miles after a bike!! This time I mixed a gel in with my gatorade in my water bottle on the bike - I think it helped a lot. You probably swam an extra 100yds with all the zig-zag - once you iron that out, you're gonna rock even more!!
2005-07-12 12:10 PM

User image

Regular
Apex NC
Fast.. thats what you are!! Thanks for the report.. I think I have learned more from reading the reports then doing it. What a great athlete you all are.. It was great meeting you at Mike's and Sara's. Keep up the great work and I'll see ya at another race...
2005-07-12 1:40 PM

New user
Cary, NC
Man to me it looks like you had a pretty good race, and as for your run, I only wish I could get in the 7 minute zone. 1:22 seems a pretty good time to me, and if your run was a little off you know you will only do better next time.

It was great meeting you at Mike's, hopefully I'll be seeing you at another race sometime soon.

Dave
2005-07-12 4:19 PM

Extreme Veteran
Randleman, NC
Awesome race Mark! You have to feel good about those times. My first open water was last year at Mission Man and I KNOW I swam 900 meters to do 750. I have the sighting down now if I can just swim as fast as you guys! Get those Speedplays! They are easy on the knees and you really do not have to look at them to clip in. We can talk at Salem Lake. Congratulations again, that was a great race.

Fred
2005-07-12 6:19 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL

What a GREAT race Mark!!    I wish my times were that fast!!

2005-07-12 10:04 PM

User image

Expert
Raleigh, NC
Great swim!!
2005-07-13 2:50 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina

Mark...you're a heck of an athlete.  Your standings just go to show how true that is.  You're in the top quarter in the swim and the bike.  That's damn impressive.  The run was tough with the heat and the knee.  Sorry you had to struggle like you did....but your pace is nothing to scoff at...you were movin!

Congrats on an excellent race.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triangle Tri Rss Feed