General Discussion Race Reports! » Evergreen Lake International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Evergreen Lake International Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hudson, Illinois
United States
Tri-Mom Events, LLC
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 44m 30s
Overall Rank = 152/311
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 13/31
Pre-race routine:

Got up early and went for a shake out 10 min run around the hotel. Downed a Gatorade pre race bar. Left shortly thereafter for the race. Got it set up. Quick trip to take care of business then down to get in the water for a quick 200-300 meter swim with jschmitchicago and Glenn from the Salt Creek Tri Club.
Event warmup:

Meditation coupled with therapeutic outbursts of loud cursing and screaming.
Swim
  • 33m 24s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 14s / 100 meters
Comments:

No wetsuit. So had to try and limit my losses. I'm not a bad swimmer. Just not a very fast one. I navigate and site pretty well and I don't struggle. But being in the back you are with inefficient swimmers and poor sighters (not passing judgment here - just keepin it real). I was stuck with two rather bad dudes that I just couldn't shake for the first 800 or so meters. So I would adjust way out to the right - perfect no one in front of me - and suddenly he was there. I'd back off and move inside - perfect clean line to the buoy - nope, there's my pall apparently looking for a good time. Nothing phased him - a kick in the side and slug in the back. The dude could certainly take a punch I'll give him that much.
What would you do differently?:

I have to get fast. But who am I kidding. It ain't gonna happen. Just have to plug away at the back of the pack and learn to land my blows more efficiently and effectively.
Transition 1
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

Not bad. I kinda kicked my stuff un-racking my bike and my OCD made me reach back and tidy up just a touch which cost me a few seconds.

Some behavioral therapy prior to my next race.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 22s
  • 26 miles
  • 20.70 mile/hr
Comments:

Ugh. Plenty of chip and seal roads. Some fresh so there was some loose gravel out there. Not a bad ride. Lots of gradual climbs on the way out. One bad into the wind section on the way back. Had a side stitch the entire time (more on this later) but I finished my 24 oz bottle of endurance formula gatorade with a packet of gatorlytes mixed in. Why you bad Mr. Crampy not leave me alone?

Put a motor in my bottom bracket. They didn't have an x-ray machine. Totally could have gotten away with it. Next time fo shizzle.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

Little trouble re-racking not bad. Got a little lost in the transition area. Was looking for Glenn's yellow bike on the end of my row (this was my mental notation in the morning knowing he would and did finish ahead of me) and turns out there was another yellow bike on the end of another rack a few ahead of my rack. D'oh!

Hire and bring my own transition attendant to guide me to my rack and take my bike and rack it for me. I think this would be so much more efficient. Why haven't I thought of this before.
Run
  • 53m 41s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

That side stitch I mentioned on the bike finally just took my breath away within the first mile. I started great and hoped I could tolerate it until the first water station. I just couldn't breath any more. Got that handled but it freaked me out enough that took in too much water and gatorade at the first two water stops that I wanted to puke at mile two from the sloshing stomach. Run quickly deteriorated into a run walk. Finally salvaged enough determination to have a final 6:55 mile.
Post race
Warm down:

Gatorade, water, shade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Oprah. Seriously, how can I be expected to live my life knowing her show is ending. What is a girlfriend to do.

Last updated: 2010-06-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:24 | 1500 meters | 02m 14s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/31
Overall: 0/311
Performance: Below average
No wetsuit
Suit:
Course: Inland lake. Diamond shaped and counter clockwise.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:58
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:15:22 | 26 miles | 20.70 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Hot, hot.
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:53:41 | 06.21 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Loop with two out and back sections in the middle of non shaded corn fields.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-07-18 4:39 PM

User image

Regular
Oak Park, Il
Subject: Evergreen Lake International Triathlon

2010-07-19 8:29 AM
in reply to: #2988299

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pekin, IL
Subject: RE: Evergreen Lake International Triathlon
"Nothing phased him - a kick in the side and slug in the back. The dude could certainly take a punch I'll give him that much. I have to get fast. But who am I kidding. It ain't gonna happen."

"Just have to plug away at the back of the pack and learn to land my blows more efficiently and effectively."

I hope you are being sarcastic.  These kinds of actions can have terrible consequenses. 

Nice last mile kick.
2010-07-19 11:57 AM
in reply to: #2989214

User image

Regular
Oak Park, Il

CKinsey - 2010-07-19 8:29 AM "Nothing phased him - a kick in the side and slug in the back. The dude could certainly take a punch I'll give him that much. I have to get fast. But who am I kidding. It ain't gonna happen."

"Just have to plug away at the back of the pack and learn to land my blows more efficiently and effectively."

I hope you are being sarcastic.  These kinds of actions can have terrible consequenses. 

Nice last mile kick.

CKinsey - I don't take anything in this sport too seriously especially my race reports. I compete for sure when I'm out there but if you're not having fun what's the point. Seriously though I have never hit anyone intentionally in a race. That's just stupid and pointless.

2010-07-19 12:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pekin, IL
Good, Good.  I'm not always the straightest swimmer and know I've been in people's way and would hate to get intentionally pummelled for it.  Lord knows, I ended up in the wrong spot on Saturday.  Didn't like that out and back swim of the sprint baby race.  Would have liked it better if it had been straight out instead of at the angle.

2010-07-21 10:07 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

Next time, grab a few larger rocks on the way to the swim.  It'll weigh down your front quadrant so your hips won't sink as much putting you in a more efficient swimming position AND it'll make the punches more effective.

Two birds with one stone!  Heh.  (I crack myself up)

2010-07-21 10:09 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

Oh, and despite everything - not a bad race you put together.  Nice bike split, great transitions and a run split that serves to make you seem slightly more human than you usually are.  I mean that in a good way, of course.

2010-07-21 10:15 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Way to hang with it. Good talking to you!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Evergreen Lake International Triathlon Rss Feed