General Discussion Race Reports! » Central FL Triathlon Series #2 --KendallF Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Central FL Triathlon Series #2 --KendallF - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log
Clermont, FL
United States
www.sommersports.com
80F / 27C
Precipitation
Total Time = 54m 3s
Overall Rank = 246/392
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 9/13
Pre-race routine:

What pre-race routine?! I mowed the lawn, cleaned the gym for 3-4 hours, and went to pick up Kira at the airport. Late in the evening we were finally able to drive down to Clermont. With Hurricane Dennis going by the west coast of FL, I wasn't sure what to expect.. I even took the road bike, figuring if it was pouring I'd ride it to be safer on the Clermont hills. We drove through blinding rain storms and arrived at about 1 AM. After 3.5 hrs of sleep, I grudgingly woke up and went off to race. I remember thinking that if I hadn't already paid for the race, I'd bag it and get some sleep!
Event warmup:

It was overcast and windy with wet roads, but not actually raining when I got to Lake Minneola. The race director announced that they'd shortened the bike and the run to 8 and 2 miles, respectively. I decided I'd just go as hard as I could on the bike as it was short and I thought they had cut out all of the major hills by shortening it. That wasn't quite true, as I figured out later.. :)

Got signed in, set up transition, and screwed up again! I got a penalty in the first race for racking my bike in the wrong spot because I didn't realize there were rack numbers. This race, I was ready to find my spot. My number was 552..walked down the rows, saw a rack with 750-775 on it..a few more rows..there's 550-575! Only it wasn't. My number was 552 and the rack was 555-575. There went another 2 minutes. No, I have no idea why I'm such a dumbass.

I stretched and swam a hundred yards or so out and back. Talked to a couple of fellow Clydesdale competitors about the need for a weigh in..there were some people competing in Clydesdale who must've had some very, very dense bones if they met the weight. :o
Swim
  • 09m 40s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

I swam a minute slower than last time, but the course appeared longer (more buoys, spaced further). The elite men were close to a minute slower this race as well, which bears this out.

At any rate, I felt MUCH more at ease and my breathing was good. Came out of the water ready to ride, instead of panting like last race.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe I could've gone a bit harder, but the swim's so short, it wouldn't have mattered too much.
Transition 1
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

I should work on speeding these up..for these short races I could gain a minute that might even affect my placing.

leave the race number belt off until T2
Bike
  • 24m 22s
  • 8 miles
  • 19.70 mile/hr
Comments:

My times above are without the penalty..again. :) Anyway, it was an interesting ride. The wind was blowing with gusts to probably 20-30 mph. The circular course meant you got to experience the wind every which way; unfortunately the sections that would've been tailwind were mostly uphill. I had to lean waaay sideways at one point into the crosswind. It would've sucked to be a 100 lb woman on aero rims, I can tell ya! :) Roads were wet and the corners had storm trash, wet sand, etc.

I pushed fairly hard around the lake, figuring that the finish would be flat back into the park. I passed at least 40-50 people...small benefit of being a slow swimmer in a late wave, I guess. Rounding the last lake section, I belatedly realized that they were going to route us up one last hill past the school and then back down into the lake park. Doh! I had to stand up, gasp, and pedal. Nobody else must've been expecting it either as I didn't get passed, then or anywhere else.

save a bit for that last climb!
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

One side of race number blew off of safety pin on race belt..had to stop and pin it back on.

Next time I'll leave the belt off until T2.
Run
  • 16m 30s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

Run went fine..I would've liked to be a bit faster but it was a good run for me. I got passed by 5-6 women and 2 guys, I think.

Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

think I needed to shave my entire body, including the eyebrows. The "mole rat" look has to be aero, don't you think?

Event comments:

Had a good race overall. Hey, I didn't fall asleep on the bike after 3 hours of sleep the night before, so it was all good! I actually sat in the Suburban and slept for a couple of hours while the girls headed back to Jacksonville; I had to stay in Orlando for work.

I revived enough to go find Sugarloaf and ride it afterwards..that was a blast and made the day a good one as well.

Edit 13 July: I'm going to add 3 pictures Jenn took; it'll be a while before the official race photos are up. In case the "add photo" doesn't work, here's a link:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/photo-thumbnail...

Last updated: 2005-05-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:40 | 440 yards | 02m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/13
Overall: 0/392
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: rectangular, counter clockwise
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:12
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:24:22 | 08 miles | 19.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/13
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Up the opening hill into town, then around Lake Minneola with some gentle up-grade. Finish up the hill past a school and then back down to the lake.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:16:30 | 02 miles | 08m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/13
Performance:
Course: Out and back along the lake.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2005-07-13 9:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Central FL Triathlon Series #2 --KendallF

2005-07-13 10:57 AM
in reply to: #196989

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Central FL Triathlon Series #2 --KendallF

Sounds like an exciting bike ride - what with the wind, and stuff on the road and all.  I know I wouldn't have been brave enough to go quite that fast.

Good job!

PS- Sometimes when the early morning alarm clock rings, you just want to pound it into submission.

2005-07-13 1:38 PM

User image

Buttercup

It's about time you posted your RR, young man!

Hills of Clermont. Oh my! Someday I'll have an ace bike and develop the nerve to do this tri. Congrats - sounds like you had a great race overall! Your times are lookin' good, Kendall!

2005-07-13 4:20 PM
in reply to: #197288

User image

Extreme Veteran
Renee - 2005-07-13 1:38 PM

It's about time you posted your RR, young man!

Hills of Clermont. Oh my! Someday I'll have an ace bike and develop the nerve to do this tri. Congrats - sounds like you had a great race overall! Your times are lookin' good, Kendall!

Renee,

You should come out and do one..there are two more in Aug. and Sept.

I don't think an "ace bike" or skillZ are necessary, just be ready to go slower than you're used to. I know I did!

Now, if they just would route the course over Sugarloaf, that would ROCK!

http://www.floridafreewheelers.com/photoGalleryEngine/index.php?alb...

http://www.floridafreewheelers.com/photoGalleryEngine/index.php?alb...
2005-07-14 5:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL

Kendall - Nice job on your 2nd tri! I gotta tell you though, one more penalty & you buy the entire Hammerhead club a round or 3 at the next meeting!

BTW - How bout that Sugarloaf? I hope to get down there in the next few weeks & train...Sugarloaf IS part of the 1/2 IM in Oct!

Edited by pkingfl 2005-07-14 5:35 PM

2005-07-15 1:09 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great Job Kendall...hope you had a great time. SMO

2005-07-15 2:10 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Hey Kendall -good race! I'm going on the 28th, are you gonna be there? Maybe I can convince Renee. I have a friend who is going to do her first tri there.
Jessica
2005-07-15 5:01 PM
in reply to: #199392

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks for the encouragement, people! Peter, I'll buy you a beer after I **don't** get a penalty, OK?

Tri Take Me Away - 2005-07-15 2:10 PM

Hey Kendall -good race! I'm going on the 28th, are you gonna be there? Maybe I can convince Renee. I have a friend who is going to do her first tri there.
Jessica

That's those Thursday night sprint races at Lake Louisa, right? I am doing the CF series, which is put on by SommerSports. If I happen to be down there for work that week, I'll come down..otherwise probably won't work out. Hope your friend does well!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Central FL Triathlon Series #2 --KendallF Rss Feed